BG test fail!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blackie’s mom, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Hi there, I’ve been successfully giving Blackie his insulin 2x a day since Sunday 8/9. I’ve been worried about a hypo event (not sleeping well) but I couldn’t get it together to get the testing supplies until last night (after I got off work at 8 pm!). I found that I forgot to buy a lancet! I went back to Walmart again tonight and got what I needed. I then tried my darnedest to get a BG sample! I heated rice in a sock, had food ready for him, etc. I watched videos in advance ... I jabbed him three different times and couldn’t get blood! He’s a black cat which doesn’t help. I don’t like the relion lancet. I have a better one, but the Relion needles don’t fit in it. I gave it my best shot. I finally gave up and fed him and gave him his shot. And I forgot and gave him his shot before I fed him. We go back to the vet on Sunday for follow up blood work. New vet, I’m not impressed. I can’t even get the practice to send me the lab work and Exam results from initial appt. We are also taking Blackie’s brother “Whitey” to the vet on Saturday. He’s been laying by the water bowl a lot, which is what started all this with Blackie... I admit that I’m feeling tired and overwhelmed. I don’t know how I’ll handle two diabetic cats! My BF loves these boys more than anything, but for a variety of reasons he hasn’t really been any help. If you’re still reading (!), can anyone tell me when a hypo event is most likely to occur? Also, do you feed 2x a day? More? It’s been 10 days and I’ve pretty much transitioned both cats from dry friskies/wet friskies combo meals to fancy feast only with some temptations treats. Are they okay as a treat? I’m thinking NO. Thank you in advance for your help and support.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

try freehanding with the lancet and not using device.
    a bright light shone on the inside of ear might help.

it is best to feed a main meal at shot time. then snacks especially during first part of cycle.
    just pick up food 2 hours before next shot.

temptations are a no go.
    try freeze dried treats.

try testing him. you want a couple of tests at the very least over a couple of days.

fd is a steep learning curve. it will become a habit sooner than you think.

sorry for short answers. am on a laptop destined for scrap heap.

Dusty & Roe and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Thanks so much. We’ll keep trying.

Dusty & Roe and Critter Mom like this.
  4. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

You're doing so well! I found the first week of trying to do BG tests the hardest. 9/10 failed but you just have to persevere as it's for the greater good. Though saying that, know when to walk away. If you have tried 5 times with no blood that's OK! give Blackie his last treat (Kyra gets bits of tuna) pack the kit away and try again later :)

The Youtube videos are great for tips but don't beat yourself up that yours goes nowhere near as smooth as the people and the cats in those videos. They are more than likely very experienced cats and owners, you will be one of those before you know it!!

5. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Thank you for the pep talk. Tomorrow is a new day! Blackie seems okay tonight despite me 1) Giving him insulin without testing first and 2) Giving him his insulin before his meal! WTH?! It’s been about 2-1/2 hours. Can I go to sheep tonight, I wonder.

KyraCat likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us feed multiple small meals instead of 2 big ones....it's easier on the pancreas to deal with smaller meals than big ones and it tends to keep the blood glucose a little more stable too.

As you poke more and more, new capillaries will grow in and make it easier and easier. We call it "learning to bleed". What size lancet are they? Smaller number (25-28 gauge) are better for new ears than higher gauge like 31-33. Make sure the ear is really warm first too. A sock with a little dry rice that you can heat in a microwave makes a good hotpack or a small pill bottle filled with warm water or a washrag rinsed in warm water (and put into a baggie so the ear doesn't get wet) are all options. Test against your wrist like a baby bottle to test the temp first.

Depends on the type of insulin. Lantus/Basaglar about 5-7 hours after the shot, ProZinc about 4-7 hours after the shot, Vetsulin/Caninsulin about 4-6 hours after, Levemir about 5-8 hours after

Red & Rover (GA) and Dusty & Roe like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You really, really need to warm the ear. I was quite taken aback at how much - and for how long - you need to warm the ear when I first started. Not hot, but definitely on the 'rather cosy' side.

Take heart from the fact that every poke helps things along. Even if you don't get a successful test every time, the pokes will encourage new capillaries to form at the test site, and it will become progressively easier and easier to get samples.

:bighug:

Mogs

8. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Thanks so much! I’ll try again this morning.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Diana...Do your kitties free feed on dry food? I find it curious that you may have 2 diabetics. If they do free feed I would try withholding the dry from the non DX's "diabetic" See if he stops hanging around that water bowl... Just a thought. Nothing you really need to act on . But It does make me wonder. Does it you?

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Good morning Diana, just wanted to share some encouragement. My cats Boo and Peeka are from the same litter, were both dry fed their entire lives. Boo was diagnosed as diabetic a few years back, and it wasn't until just this year that we finally started figuring out his correct dosage, and I thought that was going to be that. A few months back, his sister Peeks was also DX as diabetic, and when the neuropathy kicked in with her, I got into panic mode and joined this group to try and find a solution. You are going to do just great! It is going to seem like a lot, read any of my other posts lol. But this group is a great source of encouragement and knowledge. We are going to get these things figured out together!

Hercule's mum and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Hi there, yes, when Blackie was diagnosed 2 weeks ago they both free-fed on dry food and also ho wet. Now they’re only getting wet when they’re hungry. Trying to get in a schedule. I’m at work all day, my BF is home.

12. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

13. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. jt and trouble (GA)

Ahhhhh ok well that kinda answers my question. I always find it interesting when someone winds up with 2 diabetics (not by choice as in adoption) . There ARE others here with 2.
    j

15. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

I’m not Sure where to post this in the thread. But I made several attempts again this morning to test Blackies blood, and I’ve had no luck. He seems just ever so slightly lethargic, and I don’t know if I should give him his insulin or just skip it. Overall, he’s so much better than he was when this all started about 12 days ago. But he just seems a little bit too relaxed and tired this morning- more than usual, anyway.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  16. jt and trouble (GA)

I would NOT give insulin especially if you arent able to test. Lethargy is a symptom of a hypo. I see you dont have a spread sheet that would make it a lot easier for our dosing helpers.

17. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

18. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

I haven’t made a spreadsheet yet, because I haven’t yet been able to test his blood. I know that I’m behind on all of this. I have to go to work, and I’m just gonna skip giving him A shot this morning.

19. jt and trouble (GA)

Understood

Deb & Wink likes this.
  20. jt and trouble (GA)

21. Critter Mom

Hi Diana,

I see you've decided to skip Blackie's dose as a precaution. Probably wise as you aren't home to monitor.

I've not used Prozinc so I'm tagging @Deb & Wink to ask her to see if she can advise you better what to look out for with this insulin. In the meantime could you give us a little more information:

* Roughly how much does Blackie weigh?

* What dose of Prozinc was given as a starting dose?

* What dose is Blackie receiving now?

* How high were Blackie's BG levels when the vet tested them last?

* Is he brighter before he gets his insulin?

* If yes, then how long after he gets his insulin injection does he get lethargic?

* Does he perk up later in the cycle? If yes, how many hours after the shot was given?

* Has there been any noticeable change in how much Blackie has been eating and drinking since this lethargic behaviour emerged?

Tip: If you don't already have some in the house, I'd suggest getting some ketodiastix urine test strips (or similar strips that have tests for both ketones AND glucose) while you're out and about today. While you're working on your blood testing technique, testing Blackie's urine every day might give you some insight, albeit crude, into what's happening with his blood glucose levels. Checking how much water he drinks every day is also helpful.

Tips for Collecting Urine Samples

Mogs

22. Critter Mom

Diana, you're doing just fine. (It took me forever-and-a-half to get a Google spreadsheet up and running.)

Mogs

23. jt and trouble (GA)

I am GLAD I no longer have a diabetic cat. Spread sheets are WAY over my head.:rolleyes::po_O

Blackie’s mom likes this.
  24. Critter Mom

In a former lifetime, I used to live in them; not an all bells 'n' whistles power user, but quite a respectable journeyman.

I initially set up Saoirse's tracking info in Micro$haft Excel. In terms of functionality and ease of use it was a massive downgrade to start using Google. Sheets is an incredibly clunky piece of software, and, like MS before them, they seem to make functionality worse whenever they introduce so-called enhancements <*cough*> (conditional formatting being a case in point).

Mogs

25. jt and trouble (GA)

No offense but I have no idea what any of that means. To say I am old school is an understatement. It SOUNDS really impressive though! :cool:

OK no more thread hijacking from me....unless till next time.:rolleyes::oops:

26. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Diana, I came over here from Facebook to make sure that you were absolutely clear on this exact issue regarding lancet size, because there was some information over there that was slightly confusing, but it seemed to encourage you to use "bigger gauge lancets" like 33g. Their terminology in quotes, not mine, and it is my opinion that this advice is incorrect.

To be clear...the higher the gauge number, the SMALLER the diameter of the needle/lancet, or said differently, the THINNER the needle/lancet. The lower the gauge number, the LARGER the diameter of the needle/lancet, that is, the THICKER the needle/lancet. It seems backwards, but needles, lancets, and even wiring (for crafts or electrical wiring in your house) is always sized this way.

As Chris indicates above, we would encourage you to look for smaller gauge numbers on the lancets, which are usually labelled as "for alternate site testing" for humans who need to test from somewhere other than their fingers (like forearm, abdomen, thigh), so they need a lancet that is thicker, and that is what you will also get the best result from when you start testing. It pokes a bigger hole so you have a better shot at getting more blood. Something between 25-28 gauge, but I believe that 26g is the most commonly found, is what you should look for.

33g that was mentioned on FB is basically one of the thinnest, if not THE thinnest, lancet that you can find. Please do not try these right now, it will only lead to additional frustration. I use these for my cat, but I've had him for 5 years and he has been tested over ten thousand times and we have no trouble getting blood because he has so many veins and capillaries in his ears.

So I haven't seen a response - which gauge lancet ARE you using?

Best of luck to you!

27. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Waiting for some responses to Critter Moms questions, before I go ahead and reply.

Please see post #21 for those questions, @Blackie’s mom

Hang in there. It does get better. Trust us on that please.

28. Blackie’s mom

Blackie’s mom Member

I can hardly get the hang of the message board let alone blood testing my cat! No luck again tonight. Blackie seems a little too relaxed. I cut his insulin from 1 unit to a half unit. I already skipped His shot this morning. I’m sure I’ve got him all messed up. He seemed to be doing so well. He still is so much better than he was when we started this, but I’m afraid of him having low blood sugar. I’m going to try to get In to see the vet on Friday instead of Sunday. ... I bought 150 of extra fine needles. ... I want to write everyone back. I’ll try tomorrow. I’m tired, my work is stressful, and I feel overwhelmed. Sorry to be whining and feeling sorry for myself! You all have been amazing! You’ll definitely get lots of extra points in heaven! I’ll check again tomorrow. Thanks again.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  29. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwww hope everything is ok this morning.

30. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I never got the hang of calculus or geometry either! Had to have one on one tutoring with my geometry teacher.

What does that have to do with you and Blackie you may ask? Well, it takes time to learn how to be successful with home blood testing. It takes time to learn how to navigate the message board. It takes time to get over that overwhelmed feeling.

One step at a time. Baby steps, Diana, Baby steps. Slow and easy.

Hang in there please. We aren't going anywhere on you. We'll still be here to help you Diana.

31. jt and trouble (GA)

I second that! If fact you may have trouble getting rid of us. :p
    j.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.