Back from Vacation. New Plan for Elmo

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kays8cats, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hello,

Back from vacation.
    Elmo has been on Prozinc for awhile now. He was on 2 and left him on that while I was away. Now home and increasing him to 2.5 bid.

His numbers are all over the place so after some advice on here I am going to try to adjust his feeding schedule.

I will feed at each pre shot - am being 6am and pm 6pm and then feed again at 10pm.

I used to feed am about 8am then shot, then feed at 5pm ( I have 8 cats and they are used to eating at this time for many years) and then give shot at 8pm, then feed again at 10-11pm.

See profile and spreadsheet. I feed only friskies, occasionaly 9-lives. Use chart to feed lowest carb one.

So I will do a curve in a few days and see where we are going.

I want to get some numbers at +2+3 etc to make sure he is not rebounding, I am thinking htat maybe I am missing him dropping real low fast, then back up?? Dont think so but want to rule that out.

Been testing ketones whenever i can - negative so far.

A few things that have been concerning me about him.

He seems raveneous and he is having eye issues. Low on money but my next check I will have to bring him to vet to have his eyes checked. you cant tell by just looking but if I clean his eyes i look and the upper and lower lids are very read and much discharge, yellow mucous inside . He is on TAB without cortisone , I am going to put in his eyes TID and see did not get it while I was on vaca, he squints a lot soooo?

ok thanks for any feeback my friends. your opinions are invaluble to me.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

His #s don't look all over the place to me, in fact they look pretty steady to me - shallow-ish U-curves and overall #s too high. My guess (just a guess, not anything I have any expertise on at all) would be he has a little insulin resistance going on. With Bix I found that once he got riding in higher #s he kind-of got stuck there and I had to increase the dose to get any action from the insulin. Then once in better #s I could reduce it again.

I don't see anything in Elmo's #s that jumps out at me as rebound, though I agree it's good to get those extra spot tests in to see exactly what is going on. Another useful zone to test for rebound is around +9 or so - if that # is high but then the next PS is lower, that can be an indicator as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably just keeping going through small dose increases every few days & hope for a breakthrough soon!

The eye thing I don't know anything about, agree it sounds like a vet check is in order. If money is tight, sometimes also I have seen people take pics of freaky things & post on Health, and someone like Jess has been able to make good suggestions that way.

Ravenous I think can come with higher #s, though Bix is the other way and doesn't want to eat much in higher #s. But Ithink from what I've read that many cats get hungry from the diabetes effects. Are you feeding him as much as he wants? I'd offer extra snacks & stuff between meal times if you can do it without 7 jealous mouths looking up at you. ;-)

Hope you had a great vacation!!!

3. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Joanna said. I think those numbers are pretty steady, and I don't think he's getting enough insulin. And I would keep progressing slowly, hold for a about 4- 5 days and increase again, or do smaller increases every 3 days. He needs to get comfy dipping into the blue and you aren't there yet. And I would feed him more if he's hungry.

When Cody is anxious for food I notice he gets his numbers wacked out, and I don't know which one comes first.

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks,

He has been on 2.5 for about 5 days now so another increase is in order.

I do not have many U-100 syringes to give a dose like 2.8 but I do have plenty of U-40 syringes, should I just eyeball like 2.8?? Or should I jump to 3 units???

Wow 3 sounds like sooo much too me!!!

I feed him at 6am shot, 6pm shot then again before I go to bed, friskies canned about 1/4 can to 1/2 each time and he also gets freeze dired treats as reward after every bg test, he is a good boy!!

The ting is I am afraid to give him too many treats then his numbers go up!! I give my toehr 7 cats dry food at each feeding, just a half a handful and make sure that Elmo is occupied with a toy or something whil I do this .

I sure hope he is not insulin resistant that would suck........ I just feel for him he seems very "floppy" can't explain it. No vomiting, diarrhea or anything else. He is walking ok, no back leg issues as of yet, I exercise ihm with feather toys and make sure he jumps up and down to keep his muscles in shape.

I am doing a makeshift curve today. I will be in and out of the house and will see what we come up with.

Thanks again friends, I appreciate it!!

5. Nancy and Cody

Kay,
    Do you possibly have a walmart or sams nearby? I just bought a box of u100 syringes for $11. They had 28 gauge 1/2 inch needles or really short (3/8"?) in 31 gauge. Relion brand - they seem good to me.

I think I would try the 2.8 for a few days, but I haven't looked at your ss- let me go check it and come back. I always thought the 1/2 unit increases were more appropriate for acrocats, or once you have reached higher doses (Like over 4 or 5). 3 is still a reasonable dose, don't get ahead of yourself! If you get to 5-6u with no curve, we'll talk :D

Well, I do think I would try to do the 2.8 for 3-5 days. But I won't be surprised if he goes to 3u +. You also might consider the fact that friskies has rice in it. PM Michelle. I think she mentioned Special Kitty as the turning point for Prudence. I don't know where she buys it, but I got the impression that it is not expensive.

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks. Started him on 3 units tonight. Pm ps was 3o5 and he was 269 at +2 and 175 at +5. So looking good so far!!!

Will keep u posted

7. Nancy and Cody

paws crossed, keep it up Elmo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.