Avoiding relapse

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by drjsiems, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Does anyone know if there are precautions I should take to help avoid Jake from falling out of remission? Other than the obvious of no dry food are there other things to avoid to help a cat stay in remission? One thing I was particularly wondering about is stress. I know that stress can falsely (temporarily) elevate blood sugar, but can stress make the diabetes come back?

We are seriously entertaining the idea of getting a couple more cats (kittens) from the Humane Society - they have so many that need a home - but I do not want to jeapordize Jake's health in any way! I don't think that he would even get that stressed about new cats - he has seen many come and go over his 18 plus years - but I do not want to take any unnecessary chances that might cause too much stress that could cause the diabetes to return. Advice please!

Judy & Jake

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Judy & Jake! Interesting question, I think about daily too. Stess: Thunderstorms, Vet, construction done in my bathroom - have all been stressors to Baby this past month & she is 2 months off the juice (will be on Monday) anyway - I constantly get nervous & try to minimize any stress she is subjected to - but naturally cannot control the weather, her going to the Vet or needing maintenance in the bathroom done. I will be curious as to what others say - you might try posting in the Think Tank forum too. ;-)

3. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

That is such a good question. I think you could cross post in the feline health section -- the traffic there is much better than it is here.

We need to do work on a bathroom here, and I've been worried about the stress of that noise on Kitty. Just admitting I have more than a theoretical curiosity! :mrgreen:

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Me too. I am soon to undergo construction for repairs on my house which will be loud and long. My 2 boys have been indoor always and am so concerned about the impact for an extended period. And it will be all over the house, not just focused in one area so I can move them to another. There will be work on nearly all the walls, demo, windows replaced, roof, etc.. I'm also worried about them getting out. You can stress to be careful, but with so many people in/out, I can't be sure that will happen. I know to lock every door behind me and not give them opportunities, but already that hasn't happened and it's not yet begun.

I also still worry about the dental he needs and if it will impact his remission. (as much as I worry about actually doing the procedure will) I do not have the financial resources to do it. The estimate is ridiculous. He needs a cleaning & at least one extraction...a resorption w/ lesion. And although he is not in obvious pain, I worry that he is and just not showing it. I feel guilty about it but no way to pay for it. He seems & looks good and eats well...but I worry about his remission being affected.

He has FLUTD (urinary issues) in his past, though no flare ups in a long while. But years back, he had a bad one and completely blocked when I was out of town for 3 days. I don't think it was a coincidence and believe the stress of my absence and his routine being altered brought it on. So he is obviously prone to that.
    I guess if they have been hyperglycemic once, then they are always prone?

5. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I think we all have wondered this from time to time. We had work done on our house for the past two weeks and it didn't cause Scrabble any problems but he is a very mellow cat and doesn't get bothered by much. Guess it just depends on the cat. If you think your kitty would do well with some new additions I say go for it.

6. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't let that stop me from bringing Brady home ;) He's currently hanging out in hubby's office. I guess we'll see if the new addition stresses Tugger out, but I doubt it will as he's a pretty mellow guy. So is Broken Brady (I can't shorten that to BB because I have a BB already, but I also can't resist calling him that for a little while lol) so I really don't think we'll have many issues when we can let him meet the rest of the fam.

Oh, and we got the second Great Dane right about the time he was going into remission. I figured if anything would stress him out that would! But it didn't. Not at all. The vacuum results in elevated numbers but a new dog that is the size of a horse didn't. :lol:

I say go for it =) Just keep an eye on his numbers for a few days after the kittens arrive and see how he's doing.

7. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

I am also having work done in my kitchen and bathroom. Jezebel usually becomes the workers assistant! She loves it. Storms don't bother her at all either.

Is this where we post questions once we're OTJ?

Debie & Jezebel
    OTJ since 6/4/10

8. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Debie & Jezebel - Yes! Welcome aboard!

Judy & Jake

9. Kathy and Kitty

Hi,Debie,

Welcome to the Honeymooners Forum, home of the Falls. :mrgreen: It's nice to have this place. We all have questions about being OTJ!

10. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

Thanks so much! I did have a question which I posted in LL. I was concerned because Jez was 56 a few times...60 this am. But was told not to worry - she can't go hypo without the insulin shots! Relief!

Debie & Jezebel :mrgreen:

11. Kathy and Kitty

I remember reading that non-diabetic cats have been observed with numbers like that. Isn't it wonderful not to worry? :D

12. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

Oh Yes! And I know she's back to her former self.....she's been chasing and terrorizing her sister this am!

Debie & Jezebel

13. Kathy and Kitty

What a great expression she has on her face in your picture. I can see her terrorizing anyone who dares to act without permission! :lol:

14. Pam and Stasha (GA)

Pam and Stasha (GA) Member

Stasha was a weirdo-stress actually caused her numbers to drop-not common. Since she's OTJ (4 years) we've gotten new kittens and new dogs, done a lot of remodeling-just a lot of crazy stuff. It really hasn't affected her. When I'm concerned we make a trip to the doc for bloodwork. I also stay on top of the dental issues. She's 18 and showing her age, but still doing great. She rolls with the punches. Good luck all!

15. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

I have been very itchy about this question, too.
    it seems to me some cats were found high bg and fell of remission after their owners came back from vacations.
    I suspect home alone making cats very upset?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.