Asking before shooting amps

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 8catsplus2, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Please see last night's post I don't know who to link it to this one.. With the way her #s were and what they are now should I shot or not
    Please help
    Thanks

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Having a look at Lucy's spreadsheet now, Lucy. BRB ...

8catsplus2 likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Back to you.

I've not used Prozinc. I'm tagging @Deb & Wink who's very experienced in its use and can give you specific advice.

In the meantime I've checked the FDMB Prozinc Dosing Methods sticky and it says the following:
    Reducing the Dose:
    • Anytime the BG drops below 90 mg/dL [human meter], reduce the dose by 0.25u at the next shot.
    Amber's lowest test last night was 81mg/dL (human meter) so according to the guide she is due a dose reduction.

I'm sorry I can't give you any better information than this. I think @Elizabeth and Bertie might be online, so I'm also tagging her to see if she might have better information for you.

All I can say with certainty is that if it were my cat I would definitely reduce the dose.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Just looking now... BRB...

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

I agree with Mogs' advice.
    If following the SLGS protocol then there should be a reduction if the BG drops below 90. It's only a matter of 'how much' that reduction should be. But it should be at least 0.25 of a unit.

...Did the numbers just dip below 90 without any intervention needed to bring/keep the numbers back up? Or was it necessary to intervene with syrup or higher carb food?

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

...It is also the case that the cat's numbers seem to be improving and the insulin requirements seem to be decreasing, and that trend may continue, so should be borne in mind...

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

From the info available (sorry, I haven't yet had time to look through your previous posts) I can only say that 'if this were my cat' I'd decrease by more than 0.25 of a unit at this point, because those numbers seem to want to come down...
    I should also say that I do not use Prozinc, but have used two other PZI insulins, so if someone with Prozinc experience advises you then do be guided by that rather than by me.

BTW, have you fed your kitty yet?
    And if not, can you 'stall' (waiting without feeding for 20 - 30 mins) to see if the blood glucose rises to a number you're more comfortable shooting?

8. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

No her number is just dropped. I didn't do anything to bring her numbers back up I fed her about 1:00 a.m. Her number slowly started going back up

10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

To link your previous post to your latest one, you just type "Previous Post" in your current post and paste the URL of your previous post. The link to your previous post is below:

"Previous Post - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/low-numbers.233916/"

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I was tagged on last night's post, but already asleep by then. Good job keeping Lucy safe last night.

First, make sure you've read the New to the Group, Prozinc Basics Sticky Note on the top of the Prozinc Forum. You don't have to memorize it all at once, just know it's a good place to start when you have questions or wonder about terminology, acronyms. etc. Soon enough it'll become second nature to you.

A slight correction to some of the numbers you were given last night:
    HC - High carb canned food (usually 16 - 24% carbs, depending on the cat)
    LC - low carb aka reg canned or raw food (usually 10% carbs or less, depending on the carb sensitivity of the cat)
    MC – Medium carb food (usually 11 - 15% carbs, depending on the carb sensitivity of the cat)

12. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks for the info..

13. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I will be doing PMPS at 7 pm Pacific time.. 1 1/2 hours from now if her # s are in the high 100 or low 200 should I just give her 1u .. I know there is stuff I need to read but at this point I have only had 2 hours sleep in the last 36 hours
    Thanks

14. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

That will be a big factor. You have to look after yourself as well.
    Let's see what the numbers are and let the experienced members weigh in.

15. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Ok just did pmps she was 198 how many U should I give her

16. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

About 30 mins ago she tested 198

17. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I tested her about 30 minutes ago she was 198. Should I just give her one unit

18. Red & Rover (GA)

Take another test. Let's see if she is still heading up.
    I never used Prozinc.
    Tagging @Panic who did.

Your health is important. You need sleep.

From the Prozinc dosing stickie (start low, go slow): emphasis mine
    Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.​
      • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
      • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
        • a.) give nothing
        • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
        • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
    If it were me and I was running on fumes, I'd do with (a) or (b).

19. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

She already ate

20. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

All those # don't make sense to me. On part that talked about when to make changes

21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

198 is basically 200. I think she'd do fine on 1u if you were going to be up to monitor. If you're ready to crash, try a token dose tonight (.10 to 0.25u).
    What's the reason for the dose jumping every day?

22. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I will be up until midnight another 4 hours at least. I don't know what a token dose means

23. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

A token dose means giving a small percentage of the regular dose, 10-25%. So for 1u, that would be .10 to 0.25 u. I personally think she'll be alright on 1u. She looks like she's been heading up for a while now. Your call! Just get a +2 if you can.

24. Red & Rover (GA)

I'm worried that you would fall asleep and not test.

A token dose is a dose that is 10 to 25 percent less than a normal dose. You are giving a bit of insulin because a full dose of insulin is too much. Giving a bit of insulin helps the pancreas.

Three options if between 150 and 200 at shot time. Your cat is sitting at 198 so you fall into this category.
    1. Skip
    2. Give a little bit of insulin (token dose), no more than 0.25 units.
    3. Delay (not an option because you need to sleep and cannot guarantee what might happen after midnight).

If there is no history of DKA, skip.

If there is a history of ketones, give the small amount of insulin 0.25 units (1/4 of 1 unit – not 2.5 units).

Today's AM cycle was a lovely cycle but you need sleep. You are of no help to your cat if you are exhausted.

Tomorrow's another day.

25. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

I gave her 1 U and just tested at the +2 she was 210

26. Bandit's Mom

great! get one more test before bed. :)

27. Bandit's Mom

also, there are 2 separate threads on which members are replying to you. not sure if some of them are aware that there are 2 threads running simultaneously! potential for a lot of confusion with all the to and fro between threads.

tomorrow, just start another thread with links to these two so that going forward you have only one thread that is active. less work and less confusion!

28. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

She gets a snack between 12 and 1 so I will do it then

29. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Ok I thought someone told me to make a new one for today.. not sure how to link the two to the new one

30. Bandit's Mom

we make a new one every day and link the previous day's thread to the current one so that members can easily scan previous threads for dosing history etc.
    having a new thread every day ensures that the thread doesn't get too long to read and only the latest information is available!

when we talk about linking, it only means that you start the body of the current thread with a link/URL of the previous thread.
    am i making sense? sorry, i know you must be really sleep deprived!

31. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Yes it makes sense on why .. just not how to link it but I will try in the am.. yes I am very sleepy

32. Bandit's Mom

33. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

34. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

When you want to link the previous days post to your new one , find your previous days post that you did, now I'm working on a tablet
    Go all the way up to the top of the page , right above the pic of the cat
    Where it says https://www.feline diabetes.com/FDMB/threads that is where your previous thread is
    Tap on that hit copy, then go to the new thread you want to start
    and press your finger down, that's if you are working on a tablet and he word paste will appear
    Put that where you would start to write , so it will be the previous thread first and then write whatever you plan to write

35. 8catsplus2

8catsplus2 Member

Thanks..

36. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You are Welcome yeah I see you linked yesterday's to today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.