? Anyone has advice on shipping insulin from Canada to the States?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MélanieW, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MélanieW

MélanieW Member

Looking to ship my cat's supplies to another members. I'm in Canada, she's in the US. Should I anticipate any problems?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Mark's Marine does it all the time, but I have no idea what they have to do for paperwork. You'll probably need something to keep it cool too.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I suggest at least 2 ice packs and an insulated envelope inside a box. If you could get an insulated box, even better. I’ve got a ton of extra ones that come with the visbiome probiotics. Wish I could send it to ya!

It’s summer so you’ll need extra insulation to keep it cool.

4. MélanieW

MélanieW Member

Thank you! The person has offered to buy the insulated box and pay for shipping, but I have no idea what paperwork is needed. And I don't think I would want to visit the US right now...

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you could get away with sending insulin across the border ... it's technically illegal for anyone that's not a pharmacy to ship insulin in the US. We take a risk every time we do it. The USPS lost the insulin I shipped to Ale and I couldn't file a claim because I probably would have been fined instead.

@Chris & China (GA) might have some insight working with DCIN?

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I did a quick search and found this forum: https://myglu.org/articles/buying-insulin-from-abroad-is-it-legal-and-is-it-safe

The FDA only allows personal drug importation in certain, rare situations when a drug is not already available in the United States and is required for a serious condition. Since insulin is available in the United States, importing it from Canada or Mexico would be considered illegal.

This means that a mailed package containing imported insulin could be stopped at the border, returned to its sender or, in some cases, destroyed.
    You may want to do a bit of research before sending. No sure how Marks gets away with it.

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Anything but Canada Post. It took me over two months to get a new laptop battery from a place I could drive to in 30 minutes. I pleaded with them to use UPS or a horse and buggy but they just wouldn't do it. Should have just bit the bullet and gone to Best for nothing Buy.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

They label it as "health and beauty supplies" (shhhhh....don't tell customs)

Occasionally they get it returned to them but the reality is there's much more nefarious stuff trying to slip through customs like fentanyl from China for them to pay too much attention to insulin coming across from Canada.

DCIN has a supply person in Canada to send supplies to our Canadian clients. We don't ship it from the US to Canada because it's stupid expensive....especially when the insulin itself is so much cheaper in Canada anyway.

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Despite what the world thinks Canada has a huge handgun problem. Counterfeit fentanyl is a distant second. Your tax dollars hard at work. :banghead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.