any tips on TUMMY MASSAGE to help Fred poop?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Martica and Fred, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

Fred is constipated again and I am trying to rub his lower abdomen to help get things moving. Does anyone know any rights or wrong about this? Any particular direction to in? How deep to push? Knead or circles? etc...

thanks!

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

If Fred has this trouble frequently, as mine does, I would suggest
    miralax
    tons of extra water in his food
    lactated ringers SQ
    vaseline by mouth
    warm water enema

and very careful massage/pressure if you have to, being careful you are actually touching intestines and not kidneys etc. On Cody, the last bit of intestine seems to run along his spine, deep in his tummy. You might google search cat anatomy. There are lots of cat disections out there because many anatomy labs classes use cats instead of humans cadavers anymore

3. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Not pooping in cats can be more serious than in humans -- we use home-remedies, they sometimes need to see a vet right away.

Before trying any home remedies, check for dehydration, and have your vet check for obstipation (blockage). Some remedies will make dehydration worse, some (like fiber) will make blockage worse.

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

It's safe feed Vaseline to cats????

5. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Vaseline (white petrolatum) is the main ingredient in many of the hairball cures and treats. I don't like to use it a lot because it could decrease nutrients being absorbed but many here have used it.

These are 2 posts that you might find helpful :

The first one talks about constipation and has links to remedies
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3539

and the second talk about vaseline
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2980

6. LynneB

LynneB New Member

One of our cats is diabetic, the other has chronic constipation. I very much doubt massage will have a significant effect on the constipation. There are many ways of treating this, depending on the cause. Does your cat have megacolon? Is there an underlying condition causing the constipation? Are you dealing with a motility problem, and perhaps need medication for the motility?

Just remember that, the longer the stool remains inside the intestine, the harder it becomes, because the intestines will continue absorbing moisture from the poop. The harder the stool becomes, the more difficult it becomes to move. It's a vicious cycle. SQ fluids really do seem to help, but need to be used in conjunction with stool softeners (e.g. Miralax / Kristalose / polyethylene glycol) and, often, in conjunction with motility aids as well (e.g. Cisapride). There is also lubiprostone, which is both a motility agent and stool softener in one.

However, if the constipation is very severe, starting to use a motility agent without first clearing out the blockage (e.g. enema) could cause further problems, not to mention severe pain.

Getting enough liquid into your kitty is half the battle. Wet food is best and SQ fluids are amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.