? Another opinion

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amaris Welch, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaris Welch

Amaris Welch Member

Is it okay if I take Rico to a different vet for another opinion? He had his 2nd glucose curve done today. His sugar is still 600. The vet questioned me and asked if I was giving him his shots. I faithfully give him his shots every 12 hours. She also wanted me to increase his deVetsulin to 3 units now. So in 3 weeks it went from 1 unit to 2 units now to 3 units. Would getting a 2 nd opinion be helpful.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

It cant hurt. Sigh I would interview the new Vet asking if they will work with you. Also that you intend to be a hands on client.
    Hold on for more replies.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Also please ask about a gentler longer lasting insulin that is more suited for cats like Lantus or Prozinc. Vetsulin, also called caninsulin since it was made for canines, does not work well on all cats. It may be time to switch insulins and vets!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It certainly won't do any harm.

Oy vey! [​IMG]

Don't blame you for wanting to shop around. Having a vet in whom you have confidence and with whom you can work in partnership makes such a difference when managing a diabetic cat.

I'm assuming because you're getting curves run at the vets that you're not checking Rico's BG levels at home at the moment. In addition to shopping for a new vet, maybe you'd like to learn how to home test? We can help you learn how to do it, and it would give you a much better picture day to day about what's happening with Rico's glucose regulation and the effectiveness of his insulin treatment.

If you look under the Main FAQ section of the forum, there's a handy post about tips for interviewing potential new vets.

Mogs

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

6. Amaris Welch

Amaris Welch Member

Ok. Thanks. Do I just need a regular diabetic tester. Sorry don't know what they are called

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It’s just a regular vet. Our lives would be much easier if there were diabetic vet experts out there!

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, are you feeding Rico low carb food? Would it be possible for you to test his blood sugar at home using a glucometer?

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you see the new vet ask about a longer lasting gentler insulin such as Lantus or Prozinc. Both much better for cats.
    Also going up from 2 units to 3 units is too much. We recommend going up in 1/4 unit increments.
    I would strongly advise you to think about home testing the BGs. It is the best and safest way to keep your kitty safe

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:

If Rico is on a higher carb food than those recommended here, please DON'T switch him to a lower carb diet unless and until you are testing and monitoring his BG levels at home.

Overall blood glucose levels can drop over 100 points with a food change so the insulin dose may need to be reduced during the food transition to keep a kitty safe.

Mogs

11. jt and trouble (GA)

I cant over state how important Mogs message is!

thebigfuzz and tiffmaxee like this.
  12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When Max became diabetic while upset, I knew people with diabetic cats. They gave insulin twice a day and brought their cats to the vet for a curve once in awhile. A friend on a yahoo board sent me here. My first post began with don’t eat me up but I don’t plan to test at home. My vet did a curve after his first shot and had me bring him in around nadir twice a week. I had been reading here and when I saw a 60 at the vet I bought a meter to have just in case. When I brought it to my vet to test it he handed me the needle. I soon became a testaholic! If you switch food to low carb you need to test at home or else drop the dose but nobody knows by how much. Max was a very shy cat and I thought he would withdraw from me if I was poking his ear. Not true. And he always tested higher at the vet’s office.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Ha! Trouble absolutely HATED testing . It took 2 of us! But...once we got that drop of blood he turned into mush and was all over us. smh why he never "got it" is beyond me.But he never once ran away and hid. I guess this just proves ECID. :D

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.