? Annual check-up?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Feb 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

So it's been nearly a year since my girl was diagnosed and I got an automated email reminder that she is due for a list of checkups. In a perfect world I would just take her for everything but I'm about to be laid off and I have a wieny dog who HAS to have a dental in a couple weeks, so I'm not exactly rolling in the dough.

I know a lot of what we did last year was testing to figure out what was wrong, so I'm not sure what she would really need to go in for, if anything at all. Since she's diabetic, is there anything she NEEDS to be getting checked yearly for? She hasn't been seen in about six months but I email the vet weekly and we chat about her spreadsheet results. The vet hasn't mentioned her coming in for anything.

The check-up calls for: fecal, physical exam, CBC, and comprehensive panel. What is each one for exactly, specifically the last two?

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

The comprehensive panel is probaby blood tests were they check the general as red blood cells Hb,Hct, Bun, Protein, Albumin, Creatinine Kidneys, Alt, Alp, Asat, GGT Liver, Bloodfats, Calcium e.t.c for cats.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

CBC or hematology is complete blood count so a count of red and white blood cells, hematocrit. Complete panel probably includes chemistry, which means kidney and liver values, possibly thyroid numbers. Blood panels are a good heads up for anything that is trending off. I used to do six months exams with Neko, but with her acromegaly she was a bit more complicated. Is it something that could be delayed a couple months, probably unless you suspect something else is off. Diabetes can be hard on kidneys. If she was there 6 months ago, she probably recently had a physical exam. Although it's always a good idea to have regular check up of their teeth, as problems there can make it difficult to regulate.

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

What's the purpose of doing a complete blood cell count exactly?
    Ah okay so then she should probably get a comprehensive panel done at the very least? My last receipt said that was around $60 which doesn't sound awful. The vet did compliment her teeth last year when she was first taken in so that's comforting lol.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The CBC will tell you if there's an infection brewing (high white count), if your kitty is anemic (low red count), etc. The panel, if your vet uses IDEXX, will also routinely include an SDMA which is indicative of kidney disease.

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Gotcha, thank you. Is that a highly recommended yearly test as well for diabetics?

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.