Alpha Trak strips @ stores (U.S.)?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Six, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I might be able to buy Alpha Trak strips in a store? (U.S. locations)

I just bought two boxes online, but it sure would be nice to be able to go to a store. I haven't found them at places like Petsmart.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Alphatrak test strips are not sold in any store, pet or Human. You can only buy them from the vet or certain web sites.

This is one reason why we recommend that you buy a Human blood glucose meter. You can buy test strips at any pharmacy.

3. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

I posted in your Lantus thread as well, but I use the Alpha Trak and can only get the strips online (I use entirelypets.com). I've never seen them at Petco or smaller pet supply shops, though I wonder if smaller shops might order them for you. Despite the price, I prefer using the Alpha Trak so I don't have to add 30-40% to the numbers, plus it takes a blood drop 1/3 the size of most human meters (which is nice since my kitty doesn't always feel like bleeding much!).

4. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

We were using a human meter when Six was first diagnosed and it didn't work properly (it was a generic one). We were heading into Thanksgiving weekend and I didn't want to mess trying another meter with the potential of more problems so I went for the Alpha Trak (it was between that and the One Touch Ultra). It came down to trust and the human meter we had tried didn't work properly all the time.

I've read varying opinions about the 30-40%. I do plan on trying to request a free One Touch and make the comparisons next to the Alpha Trak. Just haven't made it that far in the process, yet :smile:

I agree with the small blood amount...that's been very helpful! Other than the hassle of buying online (and I'm learning I need to have a back-up box at all times), I've been pleased with the Alpha Trak.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about adding any percentages to human meters. Personally, I never did that, I used the reading as is from the human meter.

Now, if you want a meter that takes a very small amount of blood, I hear that Relion meters do that. I even think they have a new meter out that's even smaller then their small. (Walmart sells Relion). I even heard that the meters and test strips are fairly inexpensive.

I used a one touch ultra and ultra mini - I liked them both, but they did tend to want a bit more blood than the relion.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

you don't need to add anything to human meter results. Cats are in the same range.

My VET uses a human glucometer in her cats-only practice.

0.3 microliter is about the tiniest amount of blood required

7. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Opinions and studies vary, and the difference seems small, but since I go by the Rand/Queensland protocols in general, I use their information on meter variance:

But that's all detailed in another thread and I don't mean to get away from the OP's question. The main thing I think is just to be consistent about what you use and how you use it.

party_cat
    (I'm sorry, I just had to use this!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.