Ahi Update, Post Vet Visit and a BIG THANK YOU TO ANGELS!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

Friends,

First I must say how deeply grateful I am to all who have contributed to Ahi's fund through FDMB Cats in Need. He went in for his dental and biopsy on Monday, and it was wicked expensive, your generosity was much much much appreciated because it helped SO MUCH.

Unfortunately, the vet (Dr. Chu, Blue Cross Animal Hospital, Fairfax VA -- she was recommended by the rescue vet) got a good look at Ahi's mouth. He has two bloody ulcerated masses, not just the one we saw on his tongue but another one on the other side, on the gums. He also has a small lump (no open wound) on the underside of his tongue. She biopsied to the two ulcerated ones. Although we won't know for sure till the results come back, she said that it looks like oral squamous cell carcinoma. As you guys all know that's not good.

The good news at least for now is that it does not look like it's metastacized beyond the oral cavity. For now. But since both she and the rescue vet are saying that there is not much we can do if that's what it is (or rather, not much they'd recommend, as excision would be devastating given their location and given the aggressiveness of that type of cancer, would probably put him through a lot for little payoff), I'm guessing it won't stay localized for long, if that's what it is.

Also, the SPCA vet thinks that his bloodwork and weight loss together may indicate that he is borderline hyperthyroid.

We are waiting till biopsy results come back to decide what to do about all this.

Another small piece of good news:

Ahi has not needed any insulin since Christmas Day.

And he's perky and affectionate as ever.

Keep praying or sending thoughts to our Ahi.

Also, if you have any ideas on what to do if this IS oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma, please do tell.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear this news. I know that you will do what is best for him and he knows how much you care and love him.

Good thoughts and wishes coming your way.

3. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Still sending good thoughts.....
    No advice for you on this one.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

sorry not qualified for advice but can pray my butt off...well ..you know what I mean.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Poor Ahi. But we can hope for the best. And YEAH about the no insulin part.

6. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay for no insulin. Hugs and prayers that the rest turns out to be not so bad.

7. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Oral Squam

Oh Stef I'm sorry to hear this. It's bad news if it's squam. cell carcinoma (SCC). These tumors cause a lot of pain and will rapidly destroy tissue. I have seen them eat away at the bone, even. Prognosis is probably about two months max :( Please talk to them about starting pain meds right away. I think his only option is buprenex; you could discuss using tramadol instead for ease of use and expense. Piroxicam is sometimes used for palliation in these cases too--you can see if the vet feels this would be appropriate in Ahi's case or not.

I agree with the multiple lesions, and the already grave prognosis, surgery wouldn't be useful or kind here :( . Also if the areas are ulcerated and smelly, he may benefit from antibiotics.

I have to say that if it's SCC, there is no "too soon" for euthanasia. This is a painful, aggressive cancer. If he stops eating, it's because his mouth has become so deformed that he can't grip food, or that he is in so much pain he can't bear to use his mouth. App. stimulants aren't appropriate for these kitties.

Yolanda lost her little Goo to SCC, you may want to speak to her about it if the biopsy comes back.

I'm really very sorry. You are such a such a generous, loving person that you end up dealing with these heartbreaking situations way too often. Please keep in mind that you're allowing Ahi to live the good life for as long as it lasts--a warm home, love, yum yums, space, a soft bed (well, if I know you, he's probably got half a dozen beds!), peace and quiet. I'm keeping all fingers crossed here that it's some eosinophilic granulomatous nonsense. THAT, at least, could be treated.

Please keep us posted.

8. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

Thanks guys. You might guess that I am pretty smitten with the guy, so it sucks. He has a really fabulous personality as you could probably tell from the videos. Right now I have the other cats in the basement and am letting him out in the living room, tomorrow night I will let him meet Miracle. If they get along maybe I will let her spend some days in the bedroom with him. She's very gentle and I think he could use another friend on top of me. Of course, he all ready has so many RIGHT HERE. He is a very loved cat.

He is now knocking over the kitchen trash can looking for food (although I just fed him . . . )

Stef

9. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Oh Stefani, I'm so sorry to hear this! Someone pointed me at your post b/c of the possible SCC.

One thing I will say, even before you get the dx, make your decisions about what you will and won't do, and then stick to them. That's what I did with Goo and I really do think it helped. As Jess said (in slightly different words), there is no place for heroics with SCC. For Goo, my line in the sand was eating and in the end the only day she didn't eat at all was her last day.

I chucked a lot of stuff such as vitamin C, fish oil and l-lysine at Goo, along with Piroxicam, all aimed and hopefully slowing the tumour down. She was also on antibiotics from as soon as we knew the wound was there, to prevent it getting infected. My vets were amazed that it never did, and also amazed that she kept eating for as long as she did.

The lack of need for insulin is likely because the cancer is eating the sugar. Goo was off the juice for some time before we even got her dx (I damn well knew something was up, just couldn't find it, I don't think we ever thought to look in the back of her mouth...), but you may find he needs insulin again as things progress.

If I can be any help at all, please let me know.

hugs and white light
    Yolanda and Goo (GA)

PS this is my first post on the new board, and my first ever with my username containing (GA) (took me a little while), it seems apt somehow that it was to give support for someone facing this horrible dx...

10. CyrusMishi&Angela

CyrusMishi&Angela Member

Stef,

My Cyrus was taken by SCC - I sincerely hope that AHI has a different diagnosis. I can only speak to our experience but am happy to try to answer any questions you may have. As soon as we received the diagnosis, it became apparent that palliative care was our only option. Cyrus jaw bone was already compromised. Our vet prescribed Metacam for Cyrus for both pain and anti-inflamatory properties. I know that Metacam is highly controversial in cats but the rules are different for terminal cancer patients, IMHO. I think it helped....he lived for 4 more months - all pretty good quality. Towards the end we did get buprenix (sp?) for stronger pain control.

I agree with Jess that there is "no too soon for euthanasia" for SCC kitties. One of Cyrus' favorite things to do was eat and when he no longer took joy in that, I knew it was time. I did discuss a feeding tube with the vet but decided it was not for us. I don't regret for one minute putting him down when I did. There are several board members that have dealt with SCC and all were very helpful when Cyrus was going through it - Yolanda and Goo, Gia and Quirk (I think), Kimber and Bunny, several others that I know I am forgetting.

If you have any questions - if it is indeed SCC- please feel free to PM me and I will try to answer based on our experiece.

Best of luck and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is something minor and treatable.

11. Wendy & Tiger

Wendy & Tiger Member

(((((Stef))))) (((((Ahi)))))

I'm so sorry that it wasn't better news about the mass... :cry:

Sending hugs and prayers... Many paws are crossed here that it will turn out to be minor, and treatable, after all...

12. ceil99

ceil99 Member

((Stef))

I lost my Butchie to this in August. It is making me tearing up just to post this. Please know I am here for you if you want to PM me. It is not a pretty site and I am so, so, so, sorry for this.

I read your previous post that they thought it may be SCC. I just couldn't bring myself to post. I start crying every time I re-visit this subject.

:twisted:

PLEASE POST AN UPDATE AS SOON AS YOU CAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.