Advice on Going Away

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KyraCat, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

So, I have bitten the bullet and booked Matt and me a night away, next Friday, (an hour from where we live LOL) to see how we get on being away from Kyra for the first time. Arghhhhh.

We will miss Kyra's Friday evening and Saturday morning test, feeding and injection. I have a (paid) cat sitter coming both morning and night to do the routine. She used to have a diabetic cat and though she didn't used to do home testing she was straight in to having a go when she did her initial visit with us so I feel confident she is up to the task.

As she won't get to stay for long I am trying to train my brother in testing too, bless his heart I could see him shaking when he tried to it for the first time on Sunday. Really is crazy how second nature it has become to me now. He tried a couple of times but no blood so he is coming again tomorrow for Matt to show him how he does it (thinking he may have a better teaching method than I do) and will see how he gets on.

I feel it is a real big ask of my brother to do this so I have told him if he isn't comfortable that's understandable and if he can just pop in for a few hours during the day and night to make sure Kyra seems OK that would be better than nothing.

So, if we didn't have somebody to do "bedtime test" should I reduce what the cat sitter gives Kyra on those 2 occassions, or should we be OK (hopefully) so long as she does a test before the injection and we let her know if below 11 to xyz.

I know a cat can go 24 hours without their insulin, though not ideal, this is a test for when we *fingers crossed* go on holiday next year. I also need to build up my confidence to know we can go away and Kyra is in good hands.

(That was a much longer post than I intended it to be....sorry!!)

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

First (((BROTHER))) what a trooper good luck!

For the pet sitter good job. just make sure she knows its ok to fail and to let you know she couldnt inject OR test for whatever reason. (either way you need to know)

I wish you great success!
    j.

3. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

I know!! He has such a good way with my little ones so we would love to keep him on as their official holiday buddy!

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We usually suggest dropping the dose just a bit while you're gone. Even if Kyra is used to and comfortable with the petsitter, when a cat's routine is changed (and just you leaving for 24 hours is a change) he may not eat normally or hide where the petsitter can't find him...there's just no way to know how he'll react until you try it!

Better too high for a day than too low for a moment!

6. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks Chris! That's what I thought :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.