? Adequan Help?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Feel free to tell me if I'm overthinking this.

My civie Fenton has been on Adequan for about a year now and gets monthly injections. I don't see a difference in his activity at any time (like when he's due for another injection, etc), he acts the same as he always does - in that he's a slow-moving cat! Granted he can climb stairs and trees and jump just fine, but he takes all the time in the world to get from point A to point B.

I have finally decided to change vets since my current one was ... not the best for Panic. The more I thought about it my vet is kinda garbage about cats. When I brought Fenton in over a year ago, he wasn't eating and wouldn't move at all, just stayed curled up wherever I put him. He didn't seem to be in bad spirits, and was still friendly and sweet. When I brought him in I mentioned I was wondering if it wasn't that he didn't want to eat, but squatting down to the bowl was possibly too painful, since he eagerly ate whatever I held up to him.

So they ran bloodwork and said everything was normal and that he seemed like he was in pain when he peed (they did run a urinalysis) and it's probably just arthritis. I've been happy with this conclusion, since he's such a slow-goer anyway it would make sense, so I started him on Adequan. His butt still hovers at feeding time as squatting seems difficult for him after the "incident" last year but otherwise he's the same as before.

The reason this is bothering me now is the more I think about my current vet, the more I wonder if she just didn't know what she was talking about. I mean ... she said there was nothing wrong with Panic and sent her home. She had pancreatitis. So ... maybe she screwed up with Fenton too? I don't have reason to believe he DOESN'T have arthritis but like, she messed up so bad with Panic so now I'm second-guessing her.

Fenton is his normal self now, obviously, but the reason I'm wondering - would there be any negative effects on him taking Adequan if he DIDN'T actually have arthritis? I know the new vet will have to do a physical themselves to determine that he would still need Adequan but it's a long ways away from another bottle. I guess I want to make sure Adequan would still be safe. I mean most cats over 10 have at least a little arthritis at that point, right?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, it's fine to give, arthritis or not. It's just kind of like the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements that were all the rage a few years ago.

Even when it comes to arthritis, some pets respond better to it than others

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris! I know I've heard they can't technically overdose on Adequan, but I wouldn't want to cause harm trying to help. :nailbiting: He probably does have arthritis but ... never want to assume anything.

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Correct, giving Adequan is not going to cause any problems.

Have you considered raising his food and water bowls so that he doesn't have to squat or bend down to eat, he could just stand normally?

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I have been propping his bowl up a bit to help him out which he seems appreciative of. Actually been thinking of getting one of those raised plate holders!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

oh dont even think twice about the raised dish holder DO IT!

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Any suggestions? I see a lot of them but I use Fiesta Fruit Bowls for the cats' dishes and they're so shallow I don't think any would fit. :confused: Do they just make stands without the holes cut out in them? Like a little table!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

I have only seen them with the holes already cut. But ya know what? How hard would it be to make one??? Hmmmm I should google that! ;):cat::smuggrin:

Panic likes this.
  9. jt and trouble (GA)

10. jt and trouble (GA)

there are more im just having a time copying and pasting

11. jt and trouble (GA)

12. jt and trouble (GA)

:p google is my friend

13. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

You can also think outside the box... Stack of phone books (remember those? :p), Old books (remember those too?) with those grippy mats on top so the bowl doesn’t slip, or my food bowl actually fit inside the top of a different bowl and just hangs in it which raises it up. I’ve seen others say that their bowls fit inside a coffee can or tall Tupperware.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

EXCELLENT IDEAS!

15. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's true! I've been stacking wood blocks and such for right now but I was thinking finding something a bit more decor-y that wouldn't look out of place might help. I wonder if I COULD just fit the bowl on top of the bowls the stands come with??

16. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

While at first just for the sake of my Thomas's arthritis, I've become a believer in always raising food bowls for more comfort.

Everyone here has been very happy with these wire stands from Petrageous, but I'm not seeing them currently listed in cat size:

petrageous-wire-stand.jpeg

The small size of this little plastic basket from BB&B turned upside-down has also worked well, and gives a bit more height, but a bit less stability:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...ket-collecton/5039558?keyword=storage-baskets

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  17. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh that stand is exactly what I was hoping to find, thanks so much! Wonder if I can find it available anywhere ...

I did read before the whole "don't elevate food bowls because you can make things worse" so that's made me hesitant to raise a bowl too much, but I'm not sure if that was legitimate advice or not. :rolleyes:

18. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

underside of most cookie tins have a rim.

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I've seen people use coffee tins (or tubs) with a bowl that fits in the hole too.

You could weigh it down with rocks or something to keep it steadier too

20. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I did find one of those wire stands sized Medium ( 17" x 9" x 7" ) would that be too big for him? The small size (unavailable) is 13 x 6 x 4.25

21. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Since the smaller one is just right, I think the larger wouldn't be. I got ours off the shelf at PetSmart a while back. Maybe it will reappear.

What's this about? --> "don't elevate food bowls because you can make things worse"

22. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Gotcha!

Oh something about they can cause issues like bloat in dogs, etc. I've heard it more than once here and there for animals so I was always like hmmm.

23. jt and trouble (GA)

LOL because once dogs find out their food is easier to get to, they gulp their food.

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I sometimes our a bowl on a bowl or put the bowl on a book. Adequan won't hurt to take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.