Info Acromegaly - interesting posts from the past

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Libby and Lucy, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

in no particular order, here are some interesting links and posts I have collected that contain discussions about acromegaly. These are mostly from the high dose forum on the old board, as I just haven't had time to go through the new board in this much detail yet. Searching the new board is easier, so if anyone finds interesting links that should be added to this list please let me know.

4/30 Jazzy
    5/30 Tommy
    7/8/10 Jazzy
    Acromegaly - The Basics
    4/8/09 Girlcat
    January 09 thoughts about symptoms
    Acro and kidney issues, from an acro-person
    thoughts on # of acro cats
    acro meds
    roadblocks
    Joan and Madison's Excellent Adventure
    Discussion of treatment options
    Porscha intro
    acromegaly underdiagnosed?
    1/16/09 Leo
    Think Tank discussion on high dose newbies

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks for gathering and sharing all of these, libby. i've read 3 already and learned several things. the thing that interested me most was that one cat went into respiratory distress when they were trying to do x-rays and put him on his back - good to know because punkin lays on his back now, but if it gets worse i would not want to make him feel worse and i might very well flip him over.

another point i've already gotten was that several people said their cat's breathing was worse when his/her BG was higher.

i also read with interest about some members concern about how the general health board reacts when people come there initially and have been giving their cat 3units BID - there's an outcry of "that's a REALLY high dose for a cat, cut back to 1u!" who knows how many people are scared away by that? is there a way to change that response to something more reasonable and individualized?

i agree with jojo and several others who said they suspect acro is WAY underdiagnosed.

this should take me all morning to read through the rest! Where is a good spot to put all of these so that people can find them?

and here's the one patti posted with some info. I added a lot of scientific articles that helped me understand more of how it all works, also possible treatments.

acro, the basics, plus scientific articles

articles only from the post above:
    edited to fix broken links

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Reason for edit: 1.15.2015 to fix broken links
  3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Here's another one that i think is really good:

Lantus and Levemir: What's the Difference?

one question that i've been pondering - punkin is up to 12u BID now. he's still on lantus. he's no longer even flinching when i give him his shots. i've begun shooting only in one location, which he doesn't mind at all. literally, no response when i shoot him - he's only interested in eating.

but i know lantus is acidic and levemir is not. i like the lantus curve and understand it, but am wondering as i am near the end of this lantus vial, if i should switch to levemir. i need to do something by monday to make that decision. thoughts?

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.