A poop question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by judy and squamee(GA), Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I have been noticing that Squamee's poops often have a part which is rather white looking---as if it is all dried out (?) even though she has just pooped. And maybe the poops are smaller than they used to be? I am wondering what this means and if I should be giving her something to soften them. I have seen references to Miralax, which Dr. Lisa recommends for constipation, but I am not sure if this is constipation. I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

remind me what you feed please?

if raw, drier whiter looking poop is to be expected. if not raw, i am clueless

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hmm, interesting question.
    I have no answer on that other than what does she eat? does she seem uncomfortable?
    can u place a call to ur vet for a phone in question?

let's see what others might suggest.

4. judy and squamee(GA)

I feed canned gluten free--Fancy Feast, Wellness, Evo, etc. Thanks for your responses. She has been doing some meowing, but I don't know that it is related to pooping. I think I will put a call in to the vet.

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

My first suggestion would be to try getting her to drink more water, or adding water to her wet food. That often helps a lot.

My second suggestion, if she's over 9, would be to get a kidney panel run. Lowered kidney function is common in older cats (mean age of diagnosis = 9), lowered kidney function can lead to various degrees of dehydration, and any degree of dehydration can contribute to constipation.

I *do* like Miralax, but feel that sometimes we're too quick to reach for the bottle when other things should be tried first.

6. judy and squamee(GA)

I do mix water in her wet food. I had a kidney panel a few months ago that showed some elevated levels, my vet did not think significant. Then I pushed him, and he did an Early Renal Test, which came back normal. (oh, she is 15 1/2) Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to talk to the vet tomorrow.

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am not a vet by any means but I do know that white poop in humans can mean gallbladder or liver problems. I do not want to scare you with this but just wanted to give some other ideas. How long has this been going on?

8. judy and squamee(GA)

I am not sure. Probably a couple of weeks, on and off.

9. paige

paige Well-Known Member

In my Cat Owners Veterinary Handbook it mentions that pasty, light colored stool can indicate a lack of bile. I would call your vet (like you said were going to anyway) and also take in one of those samples.

10. judy and squamee(GA)

Thanks for checking that out for me! I will call the vet in the morning.

11. judy and squamee(GA)

SPoke to the vet, who is not particularly concerned about the whitish poop. He wants me to bring her in to get her weighed and if she is losing weight says he will start treating her for intestinal disease. (she has been eating and drinking more for a few months now, but had not been losing or gaining weight). To recap, a few months ago her blood work showed some elevated renal values, but her recent EArly Renal Test was normal. Her thyroid levels were also normal in the last blood work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.