? 9/8 Edward - How long to try low carb food to regulate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie L, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie L

Julie L New Member

Hi....Edward was diagnosed on 9/4 and we changed his diet to very low carb. How many days should we try this to get his BG lower? He runs in the 300s. This morning 371. We are free feeding because his appetite is off and little guy doesn't feel good since he also has pancreatitis. His environment is in a sanctuary and unfortunately we cannot follow tight regulation or go slow. We are testing first thing in the morning and that will determine his treatment. I know this is hard for many to understand but we can only do what we can. Many variables in our world at the sanctuary. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

9/8 After discussions with my vet we are going to try the Lifestyle Libre system and will be using Lantus. I hope to pick up the Libre 9/9 and get Edward to the vet 9/9. I might have the system working for a day or two while on low carb food and see what his numbers are. I am assuming you don't have to have Lantus on board to do that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Reason for edit: Update
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m bumping you up. I can’t advise how to treat under these circumstances. Wondering what type of insulin will be used though.

3. Julie L

Julie L New Member

Any recommendations on insulin. I can request what we want.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not an insulin expert. A lot of people here swear by lantus but in this particular circumstance I have no idea what they would suggest.
    I wish you and Edward success in what ever you decide.
    j

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Lantus requires monitoring. Maybe tresiba? They all require monitoring for safety. Tresiba is new and might be able to be dosed once a day. It is supposed to cause level cycles without drops but too new to know much about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.