9-5-20 (RESOLVED) Olive won't stop throwing up/ Impact on BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OlivesMom, Sep 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

This hasn't happened before so I'm seeking help. As I mentioned in another thread, Olive was doing great and actually ate 1/2 can of food for her dinner with the PM 0.01 IU. I was impressed as she had such a great appetite. But +1.50 later she threw it all up. Then she ate half of her puke (Yeah, gross. I couldn't understand what she was eating when she came into the room and when I went to look I stepped in the pile) and threw that up a half hour later. It's +2.50 and she can't even hold down her water now. I'm concerned because in a healthy cat you'd allow their tummy to settle and try and feed them something small 6-12 hours later. Because it's going on +3 since the 0.01 IU was given and I can't get any food to stay down her, what impact will this have on her BG diving too low? I'm really concerned. I apologize if I wasn't supposed to use the 911, but to me this feels like an emergency. Because if I can't keep food down her then I won't be able to stop a dangerous dive tonight. Any help would be appreciated.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Robyn, is she still vomiting? Have you tried feeding her again? From your SS I see that your last test was at +3 and Olive was 184? How long back was that? Any tests after?

Let me tag a couple of senior members and see if they are around to help with the vomiting.
    @Chris & China (GA)
    @Wendy&Neko

3. Bandit's Mom

4. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

She finally stopped at +2.50 which was an hour ago. I tested her BG 45 minutes ago and it was 184. I'm going to test again in 15 minutes. I haven't tried feeding her anything since she threw up the last of her food at +1.50. After she threw up 3 times there was no food left in her so she began drinking and that came up as well. I just now offered her a tsp of bone broth and gave her some milk thistle to hopefully settle her tummy.

5. Bandit's Mom

How many days is it since the transition to FF? Your SS comments say she also had the runs? Was that tonight?

My civvie had a bad case of hairballs a couple of months back and she too would hurl a couple of hours after her meals. This went on for a couple of days and was nightmarish. The other time she vomited was when she had acidity thanks to some meds (antibiotics, I think) she was on. She would puke soon after eating. Some antacid solved the problem.

If Olive goes low and is not able to keep any food in, you can give her honey or karo to keep her up.

6. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I'm afraid all this is my fault. I knew I should have allowed time to transition her to the FF, but she was on a 0.04% carb food and everyone was stressing how important it was to get some carbs in her because she wasn't handling the insulin at all well. I should have gone slow. Yes, the runs started in tandem with the throwing up. I should have slowed her down when she was eating like she hadn't seen food all day, but it was just nice to see her want to eat so much so I let her. It overloaded her and once she started throwing up, it cascaded. Started combining the FF with her regular food on the 2nd and pretty much went all FF by the next day.
    Okay, that makes me feel a little better.

7. Bandit's Mom

Try feeding her spoonfuls of her old food every hour? See if she is able to hold that down?
    And yes, maybe slow down the transition to the new food. Spread it out over a week.

Hang in there. You've got this. :)

8. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

She's 144+4 now. I need to go thaw some Primal raw food out for her. I'll try her on it and see if she can hold it down. I'll continue giving tsp of bone broth every 15 minutes too. I don't want her to stay dehydrated.
    :bighug:

9. Bandit's Mom

OK. I am here. :bighug:

What else do you have in terms of food that she has previous eaten? Preferably something with a little carbs in it?

10. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Just gave her a tsp of raw. Before diagnoses she'd lived on RAWZ Kibble since we adopted her 8 years ago. She's get a few teaspoons of whatever holistic canned food we had at the time every single morning as that's where I hid the probiotic and enzymes. Upon diagnoses on the 14th we started giving her RAWZ canned food for the first 3 days or so and totally stopped the kibble as we learned it was 25% carbs. About the 4th day in we started incorporating the raw food into the RAWZ canned food and she handled it well so we went all raw without a hitch. She'd been on all raw since we made the switch to the FF a few days ago. I know the raw food has no carbs and I'm not sure about the RAWZ canned food carb content but I don't think it has much.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Out of curiosity, is that 0.1 or 0.01 units you are dosing? People typically go to 0.1 units after 0.25 units.

As for vomiting, if a cat is feeling unwell, their numbers can actually go up. I agree on getting her back on raw if that's what her body wants. I see it was FF Beef she threw up? Beef is a fairly common allergen for cats.

If things are going OK now, can you remove the 911 please?

12. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

It's 0.01 She was tanking at a quarter IU so we tried 0.01 and it seems to be her magic number. Hmmm, I didn't realize that about beef. I removed the 911.
    I didn't know that either. I just offered her another tsp of raw, which she happily devoured. I'm going to take this slow. Crossing my fingers she doesn't throw up what little is in her.

13. Bandit's Mom

How are you measuring the 0.01 unit?

Hopefully if you feed her small amounts of her old food she should be able to hold it down. You could try giving her a little FF every day and see if is it rapid food change or a beef allergy that is causing the vomiting.

14. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I'm using a caliper for accuracy as my syringes zero line is wonky. If I had to guess I'd say her throwing up was a result of the rapid food change and her growing appetite since switching to FF, but now that I know about beef allergies I can watch for that sign.

15. Bandit's Mom

and you are sure it is 0.01 and not 0.10? is there any insulin at all in 0.01 units? i don't know. am asking :)

also, some housekeeping for another day - your SS is the template for a pet meter. coded to show drops below 68 in lime colour. have sent you a PM on that.

16. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

They truly are close, but to the best of my husband and I's ability we believe it's just the 0.01 she's getting. I did a test the other day by filling the syringe to 0.01 and then depressing the plunger on the table. There was insulin in what seemed like the nothing mark. lol.

17. Bandit's Mom

Here, they go from 0.25 to 0.10 to a drop dose - which is basically pushing the plunger in fully, holding it like that and inserting the syringe into the pen/vial and then releasing the plunger.

18. Bandit's Mom

How is Olive now? Keeping the food in? Have you tested her again?

ETA: Just saw the 112 at +5

19. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

The 0.01 dose feels almost like that. So far so good. She's held those 2 tsp of raw food down for 45 minutes now. About 15 minutes ago she decided to begin drinking again and was sitting there too long so I hushed her away so she didn't guzzle it and puke it up. I want her to drink slower right now.

20. Bandit's Mom

One more thing, you will get more eyes on your posts in the Lantus forum. You should start posting there. Provide a link to your previous thread in the latest thread so that people can look at old threads for your history.

21. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

She's acting fine. Only thing I noticed once she started throwing up and not before, is that her ears feel hot.

22. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

How do I do that?

23. Bandit's Mom

24. Bandit's Mom

Do you think she can eat more of her raw food without throwing up? She must have precious little in her tummy now after all that throwing up. Plus it it will keep her surfing without going too low.

25. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I think I should try offering more of the raw. When she gets to these BG numbers she tends to drop faster, which is why MOM stays up all night. lol.

26. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Oh, I see how that's done now.

27. Bandit's Mom

Quite the night for the two of you!

Keep feeding her small amounts at regular intervals to keep her numbers up.

28. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Ok. I will. Thanks for being here tonight. She's now 84 + 5.50

29. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I changed my signature to avoid further confusion of how I've merged the two SS. Should help folks.

30. Bandit's Mom

OK. She is falling fast like you expected. Maybe add a drop of honey or karo to the next spoon of food?

Happy to help :)

31. Bandit's Mom

i saw that. :)

32. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

33. Bandit's Mom

We usually advocate honey/karo as a last resort when numbers fall below 50 and LC/MC/HC food isn't helping or the kitty won't eat. But since Olive hasn't eaten very much and her numbers are falling, it would serve to apply the brakes. Do you keep some HC/MC food for when she falls low?

34. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

We were told to buy some FF pouches in gravy. Only, when she went low and I tried offering her the gravy she snubbed her nose at it. What would you recommend? We also have some Temptations treats someone said we should get if things got really bad, but she didn't say how many to offer.

35. Bandit's Mom

I'm in India and the cat food options here are very different. @tiffmaxee @Sue and Luci and @Briere Fur Mom will be able to answer this one better than me.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  36. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

India? Wow. What time is it there? It's 4 in the morning here. I just tested Olive and she's 81+6

37. Bandit's Mom

It's 2:30pm here :)

Olive has at least slowed down. She is eating and drinking okay now?

38. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

So far so good. Everything has stayed down. She goes at the food as if it's going to vanish before her mouth touches it. She's HUNGRY. What I did just now for a little added carbs was mix half raw with half FF turkey. She was crazy about it. Makes me wonder if I should just stick with turkey knowing cats have allergies to beef now. She's never had beef as far as I know. But from experience with my Sophie, if they eat too much too fast they almost always throw up and continue to for half the day once they get started throwing up back to back.
    What a time difference. I hope her BG shows signs of going up and staying up soon so I can get a couple hours sleep at least. Have you ever gotten so tired that you feel physically sick? That's how I'm feeling right now.

39. Bandit's Mom

Yeah, I'm 10.5 hours ahead!

Maybe she's one of the cats with an allergy to beef. Best to transition slowly to whichever FF variant works for her.

I hope you get some sleep. You poor thing! What a night it has been for you!

40. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I was just sitting here wondering if you were ahead of me or behind. I know you've probably heard this before but how's tomorrow looking for us? lol I'd love to know if tomorrow will be a good day or not. Ha! Yeah, it's the sleep depravation talking now:p...
    Well, if I hadn't talked to you tonight I never even would have thought about the beef being a cause. She ate it in small amounts, but tonight was the first time she ate 1/2 a can in one sitting. I'll be anxious to see if she is or not. Hope she's not as she really enjoys the taste of the beef.

41. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

She's pretty much holding in the same area now. 82+6.50 Maybe I'll be able to go to sleep before sunrise... I don't think she'll dip at this point, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

42. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It sounds like you and Booma have a handle on things. Your SS today looks a lot like Luci's

yellow bookends - dip - then back to yellow.

I've read before that some kitties cannot tolerate beef - try to eliminate it for a while and see if the vomiting settles down.

I think you may see another yellow at AMPS - looks like a nice curve from what I can see...

Hope you can give a little insulin - looks like she needs stabalizing.

I won't be around this morning - so please update your title - since the vomiting issue has been addressed and catch some new eyes as people get up - not sure how many people will be around as this is a holiday weekend in the US.

OlivesMom likes this.
  43. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

I will do that.

44. OlivesMom

OlivesMom Member

Okay, She's 97+7 and doing well so I'm going to bed for 3 hours. Thanks everyone for your help tonight.

Critter Mom and Bandit's Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.