9/22 Kitty Cat [AMPS 405 AM+330]

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Christina & Kitty Cat, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Christina & Kitty Cat

Christina & Kitty Cat Member

9/21 thread , History:
    • 9/11-9/13 vomiting, constipation, ketones small
    • 9/14 vet/hospital, started ondansetron + famotidine, "not DKA yet"
    • 9/15 first low number event, high carb & honey to bring up
    • 9/16 reduced from 1u to 0.5u for 2 cycles
    • 9/17 increased from 0.5u to 0.75u for 2 cycles, vomit after new seafood flavor so not as concerned but will stick to poultry and maybe beef
    • 9/18 first day of greens & blues, fed MC, reduced from 0.75u to 0.5u for 6 cycles
    • 9/21 increased from 0.5u to 0.75u
    Is it going to be another day of pinks? We shall see!!

@Wendy&Neko sorry to bug you with another ondansetron question. Vet just got back to me, showed her the paper:
    "It looks like those are the doses used if ondansetron was given subcutaneously. The last recorded weight we have for Kitty Cat was 7.24lbs, which is about 3.3kg. Do you have a scale to obtain his current weight? If the 1mg was helping, we can stick with 1mg three times a day; if going up to 2mg, I would not give it more than twice a day (once every 12 hours). "

Kitty Cat on my scale has been 7.5lb the last few days, 7.7lbs just now so he is gaining weight finally!!
    I'm enticed by this 2x a day offer rather than 3 times a day. Do you think it would change the effectiveness to do it 2x a day with his main meals?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I typically did it twice a day, typically around 20-30 minutes before I wanted her to eat, cause it took that long to be effective. The oral version also doesn't last as long as the one you inject. Maybe this paper would be better for the vet, it's 2014 study and specifically on ondansetron in cats. If 1 mg is working, it is OK to stick to it. I just thought it sounded like his appetite was iffy.

I've got high hopes for some better numbers tonight.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  3. Christina & Kitty Cat

I think you copied the wrong link to the paper! Links to a package tracking. He's been eating well lately, I can tell a difference and I don't even need to spoon feed him anymore. So I'm happy, but I don't want to celebrate too soon and not have anything on hand to help him if he seems to start having trouble again. I know some people here were saying they just keep some handy.

I finally splurged on that automatic feeder which will come in a few days. He's been waking me up way too early for my comfort and I do want to take advantage of the opportunity to put more weight on.

4. Wendy&Neko

Oops, should be corrected now. :oops:

Christina & Kitty Cat likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I was able to dose Max twice a day with ondansetron as well. He was a large guy so needed a larger dose. I dosed based upon how his appetite was doing.

6. Christina & Kitty Cat

Vet wrote the prescription! 2mg, 2x a day for a week + 1 refill. He ate a lot today, more than 3 cans already and he still has his PM+2 snack to go. So maybe he doesn't NEED it, but I want to at least have the option if one day his appetite isn't as great.
    He also slept a lot but he usually knocks out after eating and he had larger snacks than usual today. Doesn't seem like the same level of lethargy as a week ago.
    Today ended up being another day of pinks. I didn't test as much because it didn't look like it was going to move. Is it not budging because of all the snacks?
    Definitely getting a +2 and if it's yellow, will get a +4

7. Wendy&Neko

Pinks are not due to snacks. Either still bouncing from a couple nights ago lower numbers than he's used to, and/or New Dose Wonkiness.