? 9/22 Checkers, amps 281, pmps 457

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris and Checkers, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Chris and Checkers

Chris and Checkers Well-Known Member

Previous thread:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/9-11-should-i-increase.252823/

Checkers had a visit to the vet today and had his fructosamine tested, it was 513. So the vet said to increase his dose to 2 units. (His pmps is really high because he gets super stressed at the vet ven though I give him gabapenten)

I have been following the SLGS, and his nadir on Saturday was 6.9 so I kept the dose the same. Should I ignore the vets advice and maintain the dose? What about the high fructosamine, it is quite high? I am still quite new to this so I am a bit uncomfortable going against against vets advice but I am also afraid of going to high with the insulin.

Christine

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I will let others weigh in on dosing but if you are following SLGS, the recommendation is to increase in .25 units so you don't speed past a good dose. Do you have syringes with the half unit markings?

3. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Sorry, I just read your previous post about getting in the 1/2 unit syringes.

4. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

Could you please take a look and advise Christine on dosing. Glad to see you scurrying around helping kitties as always! :bighug:

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I would not increase to 2U. We increase and decrease in multiples of 0.25U. He saw a nadir of 115 on 9/18 and is a little higher following the skipped shot that night.

You may want to do a curve again this Friday and evaluate his dose.

If you are feeding only canned food, you have the option of following TR. Is that something you can do? It's a more aggressive protocol and requires more testing.

6. Chris and Checkers

Hi,

He is eating canned food plus the stella and chewys freeze dried chicken which he only dry without adding water, but it is definitely low carb.

I would love to try the TR but I am alone in looking after him and working, I am gone during the day so wouldn't be able to do more testing or be able to keep a closer eye on him. Plus I am terrified of going to work and having him go hypoglycemic while I am away.

I do have the 1/2 unit syringes.

7. Bandit's Mom

You can do TR while feeding freeze dried food.

I see that you are getting some mid-cycle tests. Is that when you come home for lunch?

8. Chris and Checkers

I work part time but often have to work extra shifts, so sometimes I am home during the day, but we are really busy at work right now and they want me to work extra shifts (I work at a hospital).

Also, I am still not comfortable testing more often, he is not comfortable with it either can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. I am hoping it will get easier. I will try a curve on Friday, I am home that day.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

10. Chris and Checkers

Thanks, that was helpful, I hope it does get easier and thanks for your advice.

Bandit's Mom likes this.