8/7 - GIDEON BLUE - AMPS = 252, after 44 early AM

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shiloh567, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/8-6-gideon-blue-7-pm.233290/#post-2606893

Gideon dipped to 44 when I tested him this morning at 2AM, which was +7 after PM shot. This was kind of expected, because he has been bouncing, and he has done this in the past. I followed the protocol, and he was fine. I am just wondering how many kitties go Hypo and we never know because as the Lantus wears off their numbers have risen by morning, when they are tested.
    Thank you all.

Sue and Luci and Briere Fur Mom like this.
  2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Nice catch and save Mom!:cool::D
    Be good Gideon:p:cat:

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I see you didn’t take a reduction after that 44. I sure would tonight. That would call for one even with long term diabetics using AT meters. Stay safe Gideon.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  4. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

We are getting no where fast. Yes, I want him to stay safe, but we are in a vicious cycle of increasing and decreasing constantly.

Since we are going away for a week next Saturday, I will need to decrease anyways.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. tiffmaxee

I know he’s super bouncy and it’s frustrating. But the 40’s don’t give you any wiggle room. He comes right up fast as he’s bouncy but that’s like the 30”s on a human meter and e en long terms would reduce with that.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi
    My Dre has had fd 6 years and we also use alpha track. He is extremely bouncy.

he dropped low in the early years with not many symptoms but he knew to eat and he always cane to get me. I could tell by the pace of his eating he was dropping.
    Of course I tested also.
    Just this past year he went hypo
    He couldn’t walk or much of anything else.
    i thought he had a stroke. I urge you to reduce. It of course is your decision.
    Better too high a day than too low a minute.
    Hypo is extremely hard on his body and hard on you. I no longer use a protocol because he is 21 and I have a business.i can’t be home to monitor or give a little high carb to slow the cycle. Just this morning I stalled on 135 to make sure he was going up not down. He will drop from 300 to 50 in a hour at times even on lev.
    I know everyone wants the best for their kitty — 44 on AT is a dangerously low number.
    I’m glad he is ok.

7. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Thanks all. So, do you recommend I reduce Lantus to 1.75 units BID again, and then reduce to 1.50 units BID before we go away for a week next Sunday?
    While we are away, he will be tested 4 times per day. (AMPS. +7), (PMPS, and +3).

8. tiffmaxee

Reduce now and when you get closer to leaving the vacation dose can be figured out.

9. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

Ok
    Will reduce tonight to 1.75 units BID or 1.5 units BID? He was 55 at +6, and fed MC food. He was 65 about 15 mins later. Now at 45 mins he is 168.

10. tiffmaxee

Reduce to 1.75 bid.

11. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

As Elise suggested, I will reduce to 1.75 units BID. Thank you to all who responded, and to anyone that is reading my journey with Gideon Blue.

Jayla: Your Dre is 21 years old? How wonderful!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi
    Yes he turned 21 in June
    We lost his best friend Rico about 8 months ago and he was 21. It has been very hard on Dre and myself missing him.
    I just had blood work and he looks really good:)
    Crazy how I remember every moment with them but don’t remember what I had for breakfast!
    He is my little booger!

Shiloh567 likes this.
  13. Shiloh567

Shiloh567 Member

:bighug:
    You are an inspiration to me!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    jayla-n-Drevon likes this.