8/07 Tobey AMBG 108. Vet phone consult

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laurasboyz, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

2. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

I think I just had a good discussion with the vet.
    She looked at his spreadsheet and we discussed how he has been feeling.
    I am going to keep him off insulin for now, which is not a stance perhaps everyone here might agree with, I know.
    The vet said given his BG numbers, and also the fact that he has gone low several times, and the way he's feeling, she would not recommend insulin at all at this point.
    She would like to see him have an exam before we do much else.
    I think that's probably the best idea; at 15 there is a lot that could be happening with him.

Monday he is going in for a re-check, a nose to tail exam.
    She'll check his heart (he and his bro have heart murmers), feel him all over for lumps, check his thyroid again, check his teeth to see if they're the cause of his not eating.

In the meantime I asked about cerenia (for nausea) or an appetite stimulant which the vet thought was a good idea (thank you @Wendy&Neko ).
    She said we should do one or the other, and how he responds might tell us something for next week.
    He had taken cerenia back in 2016, and so I am picking up a box this aft.
    He actually just barfed again, around the same time of day he did yesterday when I was not home.
    It will be good if the cerenia works.
    Fingers and paws crossed he has an okay weekend waiting for his exam.
    Thanks everyone for their help and support, just writing this stuff out and knowing someone reads it and understands is helpful.
    I know everyone here loves cats regardless.
    Laura

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That does sound like a good call with the vet. :) A nose to tail sounds like a fine plan, just in case. I am glad you are starting with Cerenia. You want to deal with any possible nausea first. You don't want to give an appy stim to a nauseous cat, as it can cause food aversion. I hope the Cerenia works. What dose are you going to give?

Given low 100's and his tendency to dive on insulin, the no shot is fine, as long as he doesn't start creeping upwards.

Laurasboyz likes this.
  4. Laurasboyz

Laurasboyz Member

Wendy, he's to get a 1/2 of one 16 mg tablet every 24 hours.
    No more than 5 days in a row.
    I think when he had it 4 years ago it was an injection, but today I have tablets.
    I will post tomorrow to say how he is doing.
    Or maybe later tonight if he has a good night.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Dose amount sounds good. There is no need to stop after five days. Cats can go on it long term f needed, Neko was. It used to be that there was a five day limit, no longer,

Laurasboyz likes this.