7/24 Max AMPS 517 +2 502 + 3 512 +7 552 +10 450 May have given fur shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Gave 4 units this morning but it may have been a fur shot. He moved a little when injecting but I did not see the needle come out. Hard to tell with fur. I didn’t see any dampness on him but I smelled insulin at the site. I did not re-shoot. He’s still high.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

It's happened to all of us. Some people put a dollar in the pot each time. Eventually they have enough for a nice bottle of wine or a box of chocolates.

And yes, you never ever give a second shot.

Taishi_Ci, tiffmaxee and Max & Lori like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Ok. Sounds like it just might be the tip of the syringe causing the odor. If not wet with a 4.0 dose I bet all or nearly all went in. You were right. Never shoot a second time even if you think it’s a fur shot.

Max & Lori likes this.
  4. Max & Lori

Great idea! I don’t even drink but feel some wine would do me good lol.

5. Max & Lori

I hope it went in. He needed it!

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Nearly every time I thought I gave a fur shot all or most must have gotten in. I remember being so tempted to give just a little more. So glad I didn’t act on it. Don’t give it another thought.

Red & Rover (GA) and Max & Lori like this.
  7. Max & Lori

Should I go up to 5 units on Max or should I give the 4 units a little longer since he just started?

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I would go ahead and increase him to 5u.

Note to others reading: this advice is for Max only. Do not follow or do this with your cat even under similar circumstances.

Lori…my reasoning is based upon the fact that he was not seeing any decent BGs on his previous insulins until he hit 5u and it was our suggestion when you did switch, to start at 5u. We understand when a CG doesn’t feel their kitty is ready for a certain dose or they are unsure of a new insulin. We say here often, “ you hold the syringe” and our job is to be supportive and educate.

If you’ve already shot, you can increase to 5u in the morning. Good luck with the increase.

tiffmaxee and Max & Lori like this.
  9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to you and Max from me.

Marje asked me to stop by, as I've experience with larger doses, as well as switching from Caninsulin (Vetsulin is same but rebranded in the US) to Lantus. I eventually switched to Levemir. When we switched from Caninsulin to Lantus, Neko was on 5 units of Caninsulin, and just seeing numbers in the mid 100's - usng a human meter. Her vet had us switch to 1 unit of Lantus. It took me over 3 months to get back to where we should have started Lantus at. :arghh: All the time Neko was in higher numbers than were necessary. And I still had to keep increasing her to her highest dose at 8.75 units. I'm glad you switched it to 5 units tonight.

The link to your previous post, for continuity: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/7-23-max-amps-2-521-6-327-10-484-shot-late.250260/

Max & Lori likes this.
  10. Max & Lori

Thanks for your input. I’m still taking it all in but every little bit helps! You guys are great here. I’m so glad that I found y’all. Thanks again!

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The group here, including Marje, were amongst those that gave my girl more time with me that she might otherwise have had. Many can say the same, and we all try to pay it back. :bighug:

Max & Lori likes this.