6/18 Alexia's Blue AMPS 236, PMPS 251 +3.5 115, +5 116

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hillary & Maui (GA), Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I fell asleep last night and didn't get a spot check as I wanted.

I also tried a new tactic with Blue, I used a baby gate and kept the door to his room open all night. Since he's not a jumper, I didn't think this would be an issue and my girls understand not to go through the gate, as we use it all the time for the porch door. They know they can get close and sniff but not push through, jump over or anything.

Blue seemed a little more relaxed and less stressed. I bribed him with pets, brushes and tuna and it was only when I tested that Mr. Hissy came out. Luckily, one quick poke and he bleeds very nicely! Then he continues to eat his tuna and growl at the same time.

This morning, I came in and gave him loves and he liked it. I may even had felt the start of a purr. But maybe it was over stimulation, or I'm not the mommy and didn't pet correctly, because he let out a his and growl and pet time was over.

He's done his P's - poo, pee, an attempt at purring. So, this is progress and I'm pleased with that.

I'll keep the baby gate up when I'm home, so this way he can feel more in tune with the house and get accustomed to my girls with the safety of separation. Whether he will mix with the girls, time will tell, as he is scared of them and hisses. My girls are definitely curious and want to see him. Even Maui tried to befriend him.

Again, we are making progress.

I'm hoping to get some spot checks in tonight and this weekend. I can't guarantee how many or anything, as I don't want to upset him any more than necessary. So, maybe 1 or 2, just to get some idea of how this insulin is working for him.

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Re: 6/18 Alexia's Blue AMPS 236

Great idea with the gate. He'll settle in eventually. He's holding steady with his #'s, so that's good. The less stress on him the better, so if you can get a mid # here and there, great, but his PS's are pretty darn stable so I wouldn't stress over it too much.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks Hope. I am waiting for him to show an interest in the windows. There are two windows in his room and I pulled the blinds up so he can see out. When I'm home, I have the window open, so he can smell the outside smells. There is a nice ledge that he can lay on and it's an easy climb from the futon to the window. So hopefully he'll take an interest and I'll find him hanging out there.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing a great job, Hillary! Not that I would have expected anything less. :D

I think your plan to get some tests if possible but not stress about it is a good one. Hopefully as he gets more used to the surroundings, he will allow you to be more successful. Keep up the great work! Happy weekend. :smile:

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Thanks Sarah.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like he is starting to settle in, half a purr.... yippee!!! Here's to a full purr soon, and new kitty-friendships developing! :mrgreen:

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like he is starting to settle in, half a purr.... yippee!!! Here's to a full purr soon, and new kitty-friendships developing! :mrgreen:

8. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Half a purr is good news, hope he finds the windows soon. I bet he'll be giving you head butts before you know it!

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Re: 6/18 Alexia's Blue AMPS 236, PMPS 251 +3.5 115

So, I'm now able to test him really quick. One quick poke and he bleeds! And I'm starting to love this meter, as it requires such a small amount of blood.

So, this is interesting, 251 to 115. I'd say this insulin is working for this boy.

10. Sarah and Buzz

Wow!! What great numbers! And wonderful news about how quick it is to test him. I hope things are starting to turn around and your life is about to get easier. :smile:

Which meter are you using, the Relion Micro?

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

No, I gave her one of the freebie Bayer Contours and that is what I'm using, it works great, no coding, quick sip and not much blood needed. Easy breezy to use and I haven't even read the instructions. Just insert strip and sip.

Oh and the strip can stay in for a long time (longer than OTU) before shutting off.

I'm going to try for a +5, and that will be my bed time check! lol

what's really cool, I've been in here all night with him and not a peep, and he's back on the futon all stretched out resting. I see a belly and well, I'm tempted, but I'll restrain myself as I don't want to make him angry.

Oh and the Mr. Angry when I poke doesn't last long. So, yes progress is being made!

12. Sarah and Buzz

I LOVED my OTU. I started out using the Precision Xtra, then went to OTU 'cause I got it for free. Well, then I switched to the Relion Micro because the cost of strips is so cheap ($20/50 strips). I liked the way the programming works on the OTU as far as data retrieval goes, but I don't think I will ever go back simply because the drop of blood on the Relion is SO SO SO small. I can't imagine how I ever got that big drop needed for the OTU.

Glad Blue is relaxed and happy. I bet in a couple of days he'll be purring up a storm for you while he presents his belly to be scratched. You're like the Cat Whisperer. :D

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I wish, just got a +5 and it's 116. But wow that was a tough go. Mainly cause he had his head in the carrier and I couldn't see, and had to find Maui's flashlight, then the snarling teeth tried to attack and well you get the picture, cause my reflex was to pull away from the snarling teeth.

So, I'd say he's cruising pretty nice here and had his tuna treat, then went for more dinner and then his breakfast bowl and back to dinner.

silly kitty...guess I'll leave both bowl out overnight, I think I will add some water to loosen it up, he seems to like really wet - that or he likes the sound of smacking his lips together when he eats!

14. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Hillary,
    Look at those beautiful blues. So happy to hear he's eating well and somewhat tolerating testings.
    I think Sarah is right--you're the cat whisperer!!
    Have the other furbabies been checking him out?

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

He's not ready for that yet. When they walk past the room, if he is near the door (I have it open, with a baby gate as the barrier), he hisses at them. Think it's a fear based reaction. My girls are somewhat interested, but they've heard him yell and may not want to get too close.

He may never be ready to be in close proximity with them and that's ok. He is an only cat in his home and seeing others, on their turf, may be too much for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.