6/15 New member hypo scare

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather and Sox, Jun 15, 2024 at 6:00 AM.

1. Heather and Sox

Heather and Sox New Member

Hi everyone, my boy Sox was diagnosed last August and put on 1 unit of vetsulin 2x a day. The vet never told me about home testing so I never did (kicking my self now). On 1 unit his symptoms disappeared almost immediately and everything was going great until last Saturday. He gets his shots at 6 A.M. and 6 P.M. and last Saturday at 9:30 A.M. he was disoriented, his back legs were weak, he looked like he didn't know where he was and started falling to the side when trying to walk. I was panicking but I got honey and was putting it on his gums while my husband got the cat carrier and we rushed him to the emergency vet. His BG was 60 and they kept him most of the day. The emergency vet reduced his dose to .5 and I bought a human glucose meter. I did a lot of testing on him through the week. I haven't created a spreadsheet yet so I will post his last curve from 6/13:

AMPS 242
    +2 216
    +4 120
    +6 159
    +8 196
    +10 191
    PMPS. 252
    I couldn't get his ear to bleed so I didn't test after the PM shot.

His vet was happy he was responding so well to .5 units and said to keep him on that. I just feel so nervous after his hypo event. This morning his preshot BG was 208 and I wasn't sure if I should give him the shot but I did since he was over 200 but now I'm a nervous wreck. Was I right in giving him the shot?

The vet wants me to test at 10:00 since that seems to be his nadir. I'll be watching him closely for any hypo symptoms.

Thank you!!

Heather and Sox

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Heather and Sox
    Sorry you had to go through that episode but it looks as if you are now set up to home test which should keep Sox safe.
    If you could get the spreadsheet set up that will allow us to help you a lot more.
    Are you feeding 1/2 hour before giving the vetsulin? If not please do.
    So you test/ feed/ wait 1/2 hour then shoot if the BG is high enough.
    Also I would suggest giving at least 2 snacks during every cycle. A snack is a couple of teaspoons of low carb food.
    Vetsulin is not the greatest insulin for cats so I would ask the vet about swapping to Lantus or prozinc.

Yes giving the dose if the BG is over 200 is OK. Just get a few tests in at around +2 to +5 to see how low the dose is taking Sox.

Here is the BEGINNERS GUIDE TO VETSULIN
    I’m going to tag @Suzanne & Darcy as she is a vetsulin user.

3. Heather and Sox

Thank you both for your replies!! I tested him at 10:00 and he was 124. I think I've been injecting him too soon after eating. I always make sure he's eaten most of his food before I inject and then he goes back and finishes the food. I'm going to adjust the feeding / injecting schedule so I'm waiting 30 minutes after his meal. I will also start giving him the 2 snacks. He will be happy about that.

I will speak with his vet at his yearly exam about switching insulin. I will also set up the spreadsheet today when I get on my laptop.

Thanks again for responding! I'm glad I found this forum because I feel like I lost my confidence in managing Sox but hoping to regain it.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Many vets are comfortable with prescribing Vetsulin. In case you need to back up your request, I'm linking a set of veterinary practice guidelines from the American Animal Hospital Assn for the treatment of diabetes. They first published their guidelines in 2018 and they keep their recommendations updated. (We wouldn't want your vet to be bothered by the crazy cat ladies -- and men -- you found on the internet!)

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  5. Heather and Sox

Thank you so much for the insulin info! I will bring that to the vets next time I go to see about switching from vetsulin. I have Sox's spreadsheet now and am confused by his numbers. Not sure if I should start a new thread?