6/15/24 Mazi AMPS No Shot +4 200 + 8 110 PMPS 95

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mazi's Mom, Jun 15, 2024.

1. Mazi's Mom

Mazi's Mom Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...6-94-10-94-pmps-98-2-107.290902/#post-3185402

I've been going thru some burnout and have needed to catch up on sleep..The significant other couldn't be around to give Mazi his AM shot.

I feel terrible and unfortunately Mazi missed 2 of his AM shots this week.

I was wondering if anyone could look at Mazis SS going back the past 2 days and help me understand a couple things.

I understand the depot kicks in when shots are late or missed to help control his glucose levels. I assume Mazi doesn't have a big size spare tank due to being on a small dose of insulin.

I missed a shot on 5/13 in the AM.

So I imagine, the 5/13 PM dose and the 2 doses given on 5/14 were used to control his sugar that day and to work on filling the depot that was used to control his glucose levels during the 5/13 AM cycle when no shot was given.

This AM, he again missed his AM shot, again draining any depot he had built back up on 5/14 and the 5/13 pm cycle.

He was 200 at +4 today, was given a meal at +4 and was down to 110 by +8 and 95 at PMPS tonight.

You'll see on 5/13 AM cycle his high was 179 and low was 156.

How is it possible that today he went from +4 200, then ate a meal after checking his BG at +4 down to 110 at +8 and then down to 95 at PMPS just by his depot being utilized?

He wasn't able to pull off such good numbers on 5/13 AM cycle when the depot was being utilized.

Did 1.5 cycles of receiveing insulin on the 5/13 PM cycle and both cycles on 5/14 fill the depot that was used on the 5/13 AM cycle?

Is this what I'm seeing today all the work of a fully filled depot?

Any chance this data is evidence that his pancreas is healing and being activated when he eats to work on lowering his BG?

I understand with a BG of 200 at +4 is evidence that his pancreas is not fully healed, but could today's readings be evidence that it is starting to heal and we are seeing that we are getting some function out of his pancreas.

I hope I explained my inquiries in a way that could be understood. I feel like it might have been all over the place.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

@Wendy&Neko @Bandit's Mom

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Could you move the "no shot" to the Units cell instead of the AMPS cell. It's just that's where we are used to seeing the dose given. After over a decade of looking at spreadsheets, I find it hard to look at data not where I expect. Plus those days had 0.5 units in the Units cell so confusing since he didn't actually get insulin those mornings.

Excellent question, sorry I don't have an answer. But I've often observed that cats can have more active cycle a cycle or two after a missed dose. Then you see the impact of that missed dose in subsequent cycles.

No, we like to see six cycles in a row of doses given to say the depot is full.

I have another possible scenario for you. The night of the 13th he went from 156 to 103 2.5 hours later. It's possible he went quite a bit lower later than night and what you are seeing after than is a bounce. Bounce breaking cycles often go from high to low, with later nadirs, like today's cycle did.

3. Mazi's Mom

Mazi's Mom Member

@Wendy&Neko

That makes absolute sense that today was a bounce breaking cycle due to the entire cycle being a decline in numbers.

Also, bc you mentioned it, I can see that he could have definitely bounced in the middle of the night bc of the quick drop in the matter of 2 hours. Looking back at his recent +2's his drops have been in the 10's, not 50's (156 down to 103). Any other time he had a +2 of more than a 20 point drop, he bounced the next day. I definitely think you are spot on with your observation.

I also think he might have had a bounce on 6/12 PM cycle. PMPS was 132 + 3 93 and +6 jumped to 136..I didn't get +2, its possible he had a fast drop then, or he dipped at + 4/5 and didn't catch it, which is why he jumped up to 136.

Sounds to me he's been doing alot of bouncing.

I'm wondering if I should take him down to 0.25U?

I increased him to 0.5U after 13 cycles of 0.25U bc his nadirs were hanging in the 80s and 90s. My goal was to try to get his nadirs down to 70s and 80s..

What are your thoughts/suggestions? @Wendy&Neko

Should I stick with the 0.5U and just give him his snacks at +1/2 to slow the drop and avoid a bounce?

Or should I just decrease the dose back to 0.25U and just be happy with the 80/90s nadirs?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes.