5/20 Binie, 3rd high cycle in a row - sudden deep drop at pm shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Heike & BInie, May 20, 2024.

1. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Update:

After three high cycles which concerned me a lot Binie had a super fast drop from 488 (Libre) before injection to 87 on the handheld (105 libre). As she went down on the libre even more I think she was even lower than 87. I took two measurements on the handheld six minutes apart and it went down from 102 to 87. I think that is drastic. Before that I already gave food with lots of gravy but it didn't stop falling. So I panicked and I gave her a little syrup the size of a pea. I hope I didn't spiked her up too much. :-(

How can such a drop happen after all these high cycles? Definitely, she was in a better mood today and hopefully she is recovering from the issues she is having. And she moved more, maybe that also made it drop? The dramatic backgroundstory of the evening is, that while her bg was dropping, she escaped from the terrasse I fenced at the weekend to keep her safe. The fence is still a bit incomplete but I thought we can already use it if I am with her. But she was faster and ran off to the neighbors garden. I went after her in pyjamas and the libre reader in my hand. I took me almost an hour and many treats to convince her to come back home. Maybe all that action made her drop faster?

I know she earned a reduction with the 87. I wonder if I should go back not only 0.25 but 0.5 because the drop was so fast and extreme?

To see her escape tonight and not wanting to go home definitely showed me that she is doing better. She was very slow the last weeks and not up for adventures at all....

Thanks for advice!

Last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...uring-day-lower-at-night.290184/#post-3180712

Good afternoon,

Binie is having the third high cycle in a row. Some high pink are the deepest we are seeing. That surprises me as yesterday evening she started eating better again and this morning she even ate her breakfast all on her own. She even ate the low carb wet food she ignored the last days. After she licked her wound quite frequently yesterday I feel that it was better today. And her amps ketones have been 0,1 mmol/l, which is really good for her.

I don't know if there is still some inflamation going on or if I do something wrong with injecting. After it got difficult to keep her still for some days Binie behaves better now. So I have enough time to be super precise. But yesterday evening and this morning I felt a tiny little bit of wetness on her fur. I was really surprised because both times I was sure, that I injected correctly because I could take my time and made a nice thick tent and I left the needle inside for a moment after injecting. Yesterday I thought there was maybe a drop on the syringe from getting rid of the bubbles before but after it happened again today and she is high all the time I feel insecure. Can the insulin come out of the skin again after I loose the grip? Because the fold was quite thick I can not imagine I stabbed through the fold. And than it would have been more liquid, it was really just a little bit and I couldn't smell the Lantus. After around 250 injections I did so far I thought I would be a pro but I still feel like a beginner... :banghead:

Hope everyone is having a beautiful and safe day!

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

This is a great update on Binie Heike . I hope Binie will give you some blue and green tonight :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

Heike & BInie likes this.
  3. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Oh Diane, if you read my update you will see that your good wishes made her move tonight! :) I really hoped for movement too but her panicky mom was a bit overwhelmed with what happened. You can read that in my update. But now everything is fine and she is snoring safe and tired next to me. Hope you have a beautiful evening and thank you so much for your good thoughts and support! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

SLGS says to reduce by 0.25 units, not 0.5. The speed of the drops has nothing to do with it. And yes, exercise can burn sugar so might have added to the drop. Regardless, the reduction is still 0.25 units. Other than what you saw tonight, I would have said she could use an increase. The rest of the time on this dose she only saw under 200 for one hour in 5 and a half days. Ideally you want a dose where she spend most of her time under 200.

Heike & BInie likes this.
  5. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you Wendy! So I will see what happens if I reduce to 3 IU again. I just saw that I made it more dramatic in my ss than it was, the nadir was at +3.5 but because I didn't changed the time in my handheld and after that evening I got confused. I will change that now. Thank you so much for your advice! Have a nice evening! :bighug::bighug::bighug: