4/30 Napoleon

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nicole and Napoleon, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole and Napoleon

Nicole and Napoleon Well-Known Member

Was not home most of the day, unable to get a AMPS. This is a discouraging day to say the least. I took the suggestion of upping dose .25. His numbers seem to be higher after doing that PMPS, but I know sometimes this happens. Don't know what to do. :YMSIGH:

AMPS- 2.5U
    +3 - 315
    +10 - 342

PMPS - 389 - 2.75U

+3 - 442 ?????
    +4 - 412?????

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Looking at Napoleon SS on 4/27, things looked pretty good. I would suggest to keep data of fed times etc. on your SS, so you are able to go back and track certain things if need be. Are you still feeding 3x day? are you giving treats? these all should be noted down. If you are feeding at PMPS +2... this can give you high readings one to two hours after feeding. Since every kitty is different, it's just best to log everything down, so you can look back at your situation. I have not read the other posts, but was wondering if you had other data dated before 4/27? or is that the date you started insulin?

Have you looked over this page about BG Curves? Again, our babies are all different, but reading up on everything you can does help ;-) http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-curves.htm I would try to determine where his nadir is at. Another suggestion: Try feeding for a week only AMPS & PMPS - you want to see how the insulin is working before you start feeding mid day. Once you have an idea how the insulin is working... when you start feeding at +6... you will be able to see how it affects him rather then thinking he's shooting up to high in his numbers when it's just the food. Hope that made sense.

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Michelle - I have to argue with the only feed at AMPS and PMPS. I know it controls data more, but if Napoleon is hitting the higher #"s, his body is going to need the food. I thought the general rule was to let them free feed until regulated. I could be completely wrong in that, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they need to always have the option of food while they are going through wild BG swings.

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hope - I do agree with you, but this is such a fine line too. That is why I only suggested to try this for a week. :smile: Also to keep track for everything, so she can figure out what's truly going on with Napoleon.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually when one makes a dosing change they want to wait a few cycles to have that dose settle before making any longer term judgments about that dose.

Now I will admit that I do not dose like that but I have a fairly regulated cat on my hands and a lot of history/data to look to for my dosing. AND on top of that I am suspicious that cats get trained to however they are dosed. But anyway the SLGS is the preferred method for beginners here - and as I said earlier, probably for good reason.

6. Nicole and Napoleon

Thanks everyone, I will start shortly listing his feeding in my spreadsheet.

I decided to give him another couple of days at 2.5 and that seems to be doing the trick. Got an excellent curve yesterday - nadir was 68 :smile:

I probably just have to be more patient with this whole process. It has been six months, but I trust that the new insulin he is on will help and I can see that he is responding at least. Fingers crossed. I appreciate all of the input and suggestions.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

How long have you been home testing and keeping track?

8. Nicole and Napoleon

Hometesting since January 2010, doing various curves off an on. Usually testing around +6-+8 daily.

Started daily trending with my spreadsheet 4/27/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.