4/28 Oberon AMPS 268, +6 103, +8 92, PMPS 321, +4 340

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa & Oberon, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

last post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-19-oberon-amps-342-6-310-pmps-290-5-308.289002/

Catching up here... it's the end of the semester and I've been swamped. Oberon has been on pred for a bit over a week now, and we have a consult with oncology next week to see what our other options are for lymphoma treatment. BG was already running high when we started the pred, but maybe we're finally getting to a good dose now... first nice blue in a while just now!

We've also got him on B12. We got the lab work back showing he was low, and I realized that I was starting to see subtle hints of back leg problems. (I had noticed he was looking a little off, but wasn't thinking about B12 until we got the results back.) I started him on Zobaline immediately, but now they've given me injectable B12 (1/week for 6 weeks, then monthly). Back legs appear to be fine now.

Pretty sure the lymphoma is interfering with digestion, absorption, or both. So. Much. Poop. He's eating a ton (yay, pred!) but I think most of it is passing right through. And he doesn't cover it, so it stinks up the place. Lots more time on litter box duty this week! Weight is stable at the moment, though, so the pred is helping. Fingers crossed it's sufficient until we see the oncologist.

He's acting his usual self, though. Maybe sleeping a bit more, and hungry, but pretty normal other than that. As Carla said last week, he doesn't know he's sick. He's still ruling the house; he knows we all live to serve him.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I was stalking Oberon's spreadsheet, wondering how he was doing. I see his dose is around where it was last time on pred. Stable weight is good.

Is he getting a probiotic? I'm thinking about the digestion/absorption issues. Also a prebiotic like psyllium husk fiber. B12 should help with absorption if it was low. Was his B12 level tested before you started with supplementation? There is some research out there that cancer might like B12. Zobaline is methyl B12, injectible I think is cyano B12?

Sorry it's taking so long to see the oncologist.

3. Lisa & Oberon

He was on a probiotic when we did the antibiotic, but not now. Do you think it would help? B12 was tested on April 18 (I should add it to the SS labs tab) and I started Zobaline on April 20 when we got the results back.

4. Wendy&Neko

Yeah for green again!

Lately I've been reading more about the gut microbiome - just had an IBD kitty tested and she's out of whack - no surprise. Anyway, lots of research/theories about the microbiome and it's role in cat health (and ours too). I kept Neko on a probiotic all the time. But she was on a raw diet.

I see his B12 was quite low. Not uncommon for kitties with GI issues. Hope the supplementation will make him feel better too.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  5. Lisa & Oberon

Boing. Good grief. If he's going to be on the steroid indefinitely I don't know if we're ever going to be able to get him back to those nice blues and greens longterm. Guess we'll just keep following the numbers. (And I'll add in the probiotic; I figure it can't hurt, right?)

6. Lisa & Oberon

Also, I've been wondering what the lymphoma might be doing to BG levels directly. If he's not absorbing food well I'd expect BG to drop, but maybe his body is dumping stored glucose in response, and because he's stressed.

7. Wendy&Neko

There could be systemic inflammation going on. Are you testing for ketones?

8. Lisa & Oberon

I did a spot check about a week and a half ago and it was fine (0.2), but I should probably be checking more often. If his appetite drops I'll check it for sure.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Love to hear this. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lisa & Oberon likes this.