4/28 Ivy Amps Lo L/110 C, +2 Lo L/99 C, +5 89, +7 141, +9 53, Pmps 143, +2 238 Libre

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci & Ivy, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

4/27/24
    Amps Lo Libre /
    110 Contour
    Good morning,
    Day 2 on increased dose 4.5 units
    A low start to today. Yesterday am cycle was very high pinks. Last night began with pinks (she was fed 12.5% carbs since I went out so it was expected to get a bump). She came back down through the night went down to lower numbers at the end of the cycle leading to Amps this morning.

She’s stayed very low on Libre after feeding 6% and had her shot. And coming up a little now near +1.

Have a safe day everyone :cat:

2. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Well that Contour AMPS is the number you want in your comfort zone :):):) (insert happy dance)
    Good girl Ivy, keep it right there...nice and flat please :cat:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  3. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Great start of the day, Staci!
    Surf safely and kindly, sweet Ivy.
    I know you have a busy day ahead and hope all goes well (and you get to relax a bit before the dinner time!)
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  4. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

So interesting to see, how the low numbers on the libre and the handheld vary. I really admire how cool you handle low numbers and always know, how to keep Ivy safe. I hope to learn that too one day. I wish you and Ivy safe surfing today! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  5. Staci & Ivy

She’s been bopping up and down from Lo and 40s, 50s to 90s and down again this morning since Amps on the Libre.
    Tested 99 on Contour at + 2 and was Lo on Libre.

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  6. Staci & Ivy

Hi Heike, the Lo numbers do vary and I think it has to do with the Libre which takes a reading (it may be every 3 minutes) so it’s constantly fluctuating.
    Sometimes I test and get a higher reading, say 129 on Contour, but the next second the Libre reads 46, a jump from the Lo.
    So I think it was already in flux as I did the Contour test and was probably actually getting a reading for the 46 instead.
    But there’s no way to get around it.
    Whatever that Contour says is what I go with in that moment.

I hope Binie is feeling better each day as she recovers from her surgery :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Heike & BInie likes this.
  7. Staci & Ivy

Agree, Angela. Thanks for your help as always :bighug::cat:

8. Staci & Ivy

Thanks, Kit. Now to just keep her surfing in nice numbers today so I can get my dinner prep together.
    Will feel relieved tonight when it’s behind me. :rolleyes:
    Been up since 3 am so already tired.
    Wishing you a calm and relaxing day, too :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mikanmama likes this.
  9. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you for the explanation! In most German forums they dislike the libre as not being accurate but I think they are just not used to interpret the numbers compared to the handheld. I lear a lot from reading your posts. Thank you! Good luck for your upcoming dinner and thank you for the good wishes for Binie! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  10. Angela & Cleo

Nice and flat at +2. You fed a little at the +2? How do you feel about getting a +4ish on the Contour, if she lets you?

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  11. Staci & Ivy

I don’t think it’s just the German forums that dislike the Libre. It’s not liked here either. It’s newer technology and it comes with different ways of interpreting data which does not easily match up against the old standard, the ear prick.
    So it makes for a challenging “comparison”, which I know is hard for everyone. :(
    I think we are seeing more and more vets advising patients to use Libre’s. My hope in time is that there will be better ways to understand the data to treat our cats easier and better. :bighug:

Heike & BInie likes this.
  12. Staci & Ivy

Yes I feed at +1,2,3 always.
    She’s bopping up and down now at +3 between Lo and a bit higher.
    Should
    I test now or wait till +4?
    I think she’s going to continue to show LO at this dose and I don’t want to have to poke her every single hour.
    I think the dose is just putting her in the dark green range and of course we want to know how low she’s going, but I don’t want to have to poke her every hour on the hour, Suggestions?

13. Staci & Ivy

Kind of flattish since 8 am
    upload_2024-4-28_9-22-8.jpeg

14. Angela & Cleo

Now you have the Libre, and the arrow is showing FLAT, not a down trend.
    So if this was me and Cleo, and she gave me 110 at AMPS and 99 at +2, I would feed her some of her regular LC and test again at +4ish.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    Staci & Ivy likes this.
  15. Staci & Ivy

If she’s still showing Lo then I will poke if I can. (Her will).
    I suppose I should feed a tsp or 2 of LC if she’s staying in this range until around +6 to encourage surfing then?

16. Angela & Cleo

When I used the Libre, my Vet understood that Cleo would not be cooperative with too many handheld meter tests, if any at all :rolleyes:, in the beginning. So to limit the Cat AND Human stress, he told me (FWIW) to pay a little more attention to the indicator arrow (up, down, straight) because the Libre reads the interstitial fluid and some other technical stuff about the Libre which I don't really remember:smuggrin:.

Follow the numbers and the trends.

Heike & BInie and Staci & Ivy like this.
  17. Staci & Ivy

Yes, you’re right on all that stuff. I do you watch the trends but I also pay attention to what numbers I’m seeing and of course I’m more concerned when she shows LO, which is generally what puts her in the range where I actually want her and also the range that we have to be careful about that. She could potentially go lower than we would want so that’s when I poke, if she’s in those ranges most especially.
    Like your vet said, saving the pokes for when most necessary to keep her less angry and stressed with me.
    I normally do not feed her anything past +3, but since she is surfing in ranges where I would like her, maybe I need to try giving her a little LC, if staying in this range, to keep her surfing, up until potential nadir time frame and perhaps that will decrease her bounce factor.
    :rolleyes:

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Staci ,Ivy you are not a boxer so no
    bobbing and weaving lol
    I hope your dinner goes well and you can get them in and out fast.
    I hope Ivy surfs safely while your dinner is going on
    Have a stiff drink Staci :p:p
    [​IMG]

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  19. Angela & Cleo

@Staci & Ivy I see you got a 66 at +4 on the Libre. Not sure if a poke is necessary, but its up to you. What does the Libre arrow indicator show?
    (PS I feel like I'm stalking you a little bit today :facepalm:)

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  20. Staci & Ivy

Omg Diane. Love this image. I think Ivy does think she’s a boxer the way she bobs and weaves what a girl what a girl. And then she bites and scratches when she’s really pissed off so there’s that. She’s a fighter alright.
    I love it when you stalk me, Angela. Please feel free to do it anytime, you’re always so helpful.

As you can see, she’s come up a little bit, but she’s been bobbing up and down up and down in the same general range. That’s why I didn’t bother with the poke and I gave her a teaspoon of LC just to see what that would do to keep her surfing in the range.
    I’ll probably give another LC teaspoon in a little while, trying to do that hourly just to see if we can keep her surfing along.
    upload_2024-4-28_11-8-44.jpeg

21. Angela & Cleo

Basically within meter variance, which is what the indicator arrow is showing, so thats good. You both are doing SO WELL today! :bighug:
    Just try not to feed after her nadir. She's doing so well, i would hate for her to lose duration.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  22. Staci & Ivy

Thank you for the encouragement, Angela.
    Wish we could actually know that they’ve hit their nadir and that’s when you can stop feeding.
    We just never know if the nadir is right now, or it’s up ahead within the next hour. Wish I had a crystal ball, but don’t we all?:smuggrin:

23. Alicia & Kit cat

Alicia & Kit cat Well-Known Member

Ivy is having such great numbers this morning! I hope she continues, and that while your day is busy, that you have some non stressful relaxing moments. :bighug:

Staci & Ivy and Angela & Cleo like this.
  24. Angela & Cleo

No crystal ball here, but it looks to me like she's hit nadir already and is surfing the cycle away :)

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This statement caught my eye :) The Libre is not new technology for cats as it was never designed to use in animals. The difference in interpretation is because it is reading glucose concentration in the interstitial fluid and not the actual blood glucose. We don’t yet know how effective this is in cats and the more reliable way for us to check them is testing the blood glucose.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  26. Staci & Ivy

I think so too, she’s going up so I did not give her a snack at +5 Since I didn’t want to shorten her duration. It seems as soon as she spends some time in lower numbers, her body then responds and heads on up;)

27. Staci & Ivy

Agree with that, Marje. Sorry if I misstated anything incorrectly. I am aware it was not designed for pets and was designed for humans and is being used off label as we do for cats. And I do know it measures different fluid than a blood test with a glucometer. Thanks for the clarification.:)

Marje and Gracie likes this.