4/25 Aria

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Let the fun continue! She cracks me up. Let's just say this morning was weird and interesting. Ended up shooting at +10 because she was in the 170's, but she roller coasted around that for a good 2 hours. 178 --> 184 -->154 -->174. Since it was a +17.5 shot last night, I figured overlap was gone and returned to the reduced dose.

Very glad I have the syringes with the 1/2 unit marking coming sometime soon. This eyeballing stuff is making me go googly eyed. @-) Come on shipment!!

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

You're going to get another good laugh when you get the new syringes. I went to Walgreens for more syringes and was told they are not making the non half mark syringes anymore... at least that's what the girl in the pharmacy told me. When I looked at the half unit mark syringes - 0.2 is right around where I was giving 0.1ish, so I dunno? Where I eyeballed 0.2 on the ones we were using... I would bump it just a tad like two times and that was my 0.1, so let me know what you come up with when you get to that point :D

Have a fun day at the beach!

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

What brand aren't they making anymore, Michelle? I think that perhaps the Walgreens clerk may have been mistaken (unless she is just talking about one specific brand). I get mine online, though, so I don't have any experience with Walgreens for syringes.

A good way to measure and to make sure you are being as consistent as possible is to count drops. What you do is this: draw up a known amount of insulin, in your case probably 1u. Actually, you can practice with water so you don't waste insulin. Then twist the plunger slowly (twisting makes it much easier to control than just pushing), counting how many drops it takes to get down to 0u. Then you know how many drops are in 1u, and you can subtract or add from there as necessary. Practice several times, noting the size of the drops and if you get the same # each time. For me, I find that there are about 4 drops in 0.5u.

The most important thing is consistency, so as long as you feel confident in your measurement and feel that you can stick to it each time, it's all good. Hope this helps! :smile:

4. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Sarah, you've explained exactly what I do when measuring out the dose. :D I've even printed out this photo of the syringe with a mark on it for me that is taped on the bathroom mirror. You're right about practicing first with water... which I've done too! DH says I'm playing pet doctor... but you need to get this right, right? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Yep, definitely have to get it right! And when you are measuring small doses like that, it can be really hard to be consistent. I think the photo on the mirror is a great idea.

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Sarah - that's a great idea. Guess what I'll be doing tonight while watching the Amazing Race? yep, sitting on the couch with my syringe and a cup of water. Oh, the mocking Dh will be sending my way ;)

So, we're at 12.5 - 132. Close to 140, but I'm going to wait the extra 1/2 hour. I am going to try the reduced .1 dose tonight (which after above experiment turns out to be 1 medium sized drop) and see how she does. She had a beautiful nadir today, but her shot was at 174, so if I'm shooting at 140, I want to give her a little more room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.