4/19 Bix

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Joanna & Bix (GA), Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

+36 164 0.6u

I'm doubting it will be enough insulin for him, but thought I'd give it a try since he seemed to like the last 0.6 that I shot. It's all a guessing-game with him right now, but in a good way. :mrgreen:

Happy Monday everyone! :?

2. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

I don't think the dosing experimentation is done untii they are completely OTJ... Keep it going Bix!

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

+12 114 no shot

Guess he liked the .6 afterall! I know the 36 hours he went before the shot this morning was too much though, because his hind legs were weak again before the AM shot, then looking ok now starting a few hours after the shot. Hopefully I can catch him sooner this time... though I love these non-shootable #s :) they do make the schedule wacky.

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Joanna - what's your No Shoot # for Bix? I'm thinking I need to adjust mine down, but I'm not sure at what point Ari's pancreas is supposed to be kicking in, so I'm not sure how low I should go.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I don't really know, lol. I am kind of winging it - if I got a 125 at a +12 I probably wouldn't shoot, but if was a +36 I probably would. Definitely shooting above maybe 135-ish though. At one point Steve & Jock tentatively said maybe 110 as a no shoot, and I was kind of going with that on my human meter, thinking the human meter ran low, but it made me really nervous, which is why I switched back to my cat meter. On it, I am definitely not shooting anything non-diabetic, so 120 or slightly higher is probably my absolute cut-off. If I were using the human meter I might go a little lower than that.

All that, however, is for a cat who has spent a few months dancing in the low-100s and then went higher, so I am clear with him that his pancreas just isn't ready to go it alone. With cats where that is more of an unknown, I would probably set some time limit on things - like I wouldn't shoot a 130 or 140 if I just saw it, I would maybe try feeding and testing a couple hours later. Maybe set some limit (4 hrs? I have no idea really) and if the #s haven't dropped by then, then go ahead and shoot. With him, I'm not waiting at this point to see what happens in a few hours, since he is a hoverer & drifter upwards on the whole. But on the other hand I can't afford to test every few hours, so I am mostly sticking with tests every 12 hrs, or if he keeps being too low in 12, I'll probably go with something like 16s.

Not sure if any of that helps. :) If we could entice Steve & Jock to stop by, he has some experience I think with this kind of situation, and might have tips. I'm sure there are others too who would have insight. Since ECID and so far I haven't gotten Bix to show improvement from this point on, I'm not sure how much use my thoughts on the subject are. :)

Did I already post this TT thread on the subject? http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 500,591500 It didn't really help me make any decisions when I read it, but it did help me grasp that Bix isn't the only one in this situation. Looks like maybe there just is no clear answer when it gets to this point?

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Thanks Joanna. That really did help (especially the winging it part :lol: ) I don't know if I have the you-know-whats to shoot below 130, but I'm getting comfy with the 150/160ish range. It seems when she hits those numbers, she doesn't come back down.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

If she is doing ok, I would say there is no need to reduce the no-shoot below 150. Some people never even shoot that low, from what I have read a couple years ago everyone had 200 as their no-shoot with PZI. The only reason with Bix that I have lowered it is that he will hover around the mid-100s for literally days on end, he just doesn't zoom, so at some point it is either shoot, or leave him high for extended hours. I would love to stay with a 150 n/s, just don't feel comfortable with it anymore for him...

8. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Gotcha. 150 is our no shoot right now (but if I get a 148, that's good enough for me.) Then it gets into the gray areas of 147... hmm... wait or don't wait. Then how long to wait. I've overtested at time (guilty!!) and I know that annoys her and gets expensive for me.

9. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Joanna and Bix! I feel like it's been forever since I've talked to you; glad to see your post. :) I don't have anything constructive to say, just wanted to say hello and that Bix is looking good. :mrgreen:

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

hi Sarah, nice to see you around! I almost popped over to LL to say hi to you & friends, but then I get overwhelmed when I think of even peeking at all those condos!!! :shock: Hope things are going well with Miss Buzz!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.