4/15 Brian AMPs 58 +1 49 +10 90

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nate2021, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

2. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hi Nate! In my experience a bounce does not result in BGs lower than what they would be once it's over. Also, a 58/49 are preeeetty close together. I think technically as this is Cycle 5 after your last reduction, the depot may have worn off and you can reduce again (but quick reductions don't stick very well in general). I will tag some people with more experience who can advise you, we will see who is around.

You can check out my Pearl's SS. This has happened to her before too. In her case, the quick reduction did not stick in the long term and I had to increase again soon after. I usually use a bit higher carb food when reductions happen now for a number of cycles, to try to prevent another quick drop.

Oh, and what percent carb food did you feed at AMPS?

@BanditsMom12 @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko @Christie & Maverick @Tina Marie and Jan @JaxBenji @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Nate2021 likes this.
  3. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    That's exactly what I'm thinking, it feels like reducing to quickly, and I really don't want to see him all over the place again. I know I can always up the dose again but still!

11% carb at +1, I give him a tablespoon which would be equivalent to 1tsp of 20% I think?

Sorry, at amps he had 0.7can of fancy feast 3% carb

4. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ok, what did you feed at AMPS?

Nate2021 likes this.
  5. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Sorry I got confused. He had the same as every morning about 3/4 of a can of fancy feast salmon pate which I believe is 3% carb. Last night was the first night in a few days I hadn't fed him MC over night though, so his previous mornings AMPs were likely affected by that

6. Margaret (and Pearl)

Ok got it. It might be worth trying to give him a bit higher carb food at PS for about 6 cycles or so after you reduce (that's when the depot is draining) as Brain seems to be an early dropper, just gives a bit of extra support if you are finding that Brain dips down into the 40s soon after reductions (Pearl is too). For me, this helps.

Sometimes even after the 6 cycles, I will mix in a bit higher carb - FF Pate is pretty LC. You could try mixing in a slightly higher carb like 7% or so. That boost might be what he needs.

But we should get some advice on what to do about another reduction for you or to maintain where you are at. I am sure others will be along soon.

Nate2021 likes this.
  7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Seriously, not again Brian:joyful:. This boy is up to some major shenanigans.
    Sometimes kitties can come screaming down the dosing ladder and I think it looks like this may be what is happening with Brian. It happened to Butters as well. At the end of 2020, I took four reductions in eight days (and a couple of skipped shots to drain her depot a little) because she kept dropping <50. You do have to be careful to try not to let them earn too many reductions too quickly, as they may not hold them well. But if Brian is still dropping even when you're giving him higher carb food, then he may need less juice and maybe another reduction will hold. See what others think.

Nate2021 likes this.
  8. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Thank you this is really good to know, and I think I'd rather support him down than reduce too aggressively. I thought he was dropping super late, but now you mention it! I am not entirely sure but I feel like he may be dipping twice, a little hard to say with the overlap and him not having consistency. Really interesting looking at pearls SS, that sort of pattern

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

Yeah Pearl NADIRs early, then drops again at the end. So I have to make sure I support the early drop especially, since that is when the insulin is stronger. With Brain, his 40s have been pretty early also. So, there is no harm in going with some higher carb at PS and even with the feedings at +1, +2, etc. You may need to experiment with it to find out what % works for you. You cuold try maybe a 7% or so carb or a low MC and see how that works in place of the 3%? Just some ideas. I also have started giving her a snack at about +9, which seems to also help if she is pretty low that late in the cycle (it's a sure bet for Pearl that she will go even lower if she is low at +9).

Nate2021 likes this.
  10. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Talk about shenanigans, just looked at butters' chart! This is the first I've seen where it's just down and down with no reprieve. Someone did say in another of my posts that I can always go back up if it doesn't hold, I'm feeling a bit like overall he's sticking low enough that reducing at least wouldn't shoot him up sky high

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  11. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Cheers for this info! I have been giving a snack at +9 but it's been 0% carb and doing nothing, I might look at bumping that to a 3%, and mixing LC and MC for his preshots and see if that will get him through a few cycles nicely before another reduction. This has been really really helpful thank you so much. I got the hang of what to do when low, so this is my first time trying to balance a cycle relative to the +9 pattern etc, such a learning curve each step.super grateful for the help. Cheers!

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Last night I would have tested again after the 77@+3 because he could well have dropped lower. He was only 58 at AMPS so could have gone lower before coming up at AMPS. He was coming off a bit of a bounce so always keep testing when they are coming off bounces to see how low they will go.

I would take the reduction to 2.75 units. It is cycle 5 and the depot should have been pretty well used up by now. He has held the last two reductions well.

13. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Thank you. I know, I felt awful that I slept last night and took those blues the cycle prior as a new normal with the new dose. Won't make that mistake again! :(

Cheers thank you. I'll do that

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just an FYI -- I couldn't figure out what "brain am..." meant in your subject line. I think there's a typo.

Nate2021 likes this.
  15. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Brian, those are some gorgeous numbers! Another decrease in order next injection! Looks like he's getting all the help he needs from the insulin - now his pancreas is kicking in!

Please update your title :) Hope you can add an avatar (photo of your kitty)....it'll be nice to have since I don't think you guys are going to be around for a very long time!

Nate2021 likes this.
  16. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Hello thanks! I'll definitely put a pic up :)

I decreased the dose to 2.7 last injection, should I decrease again to 2.5 on the next one??

Thank you for all of the help. Fingers crossed Brian keeps this trend!

Allllso, sorry not sure what I'm meant to do with the title? Do I put resolved?

17. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Nate, the depot of the 3U dose it still at play. So hold the 2.75U dose for at least 4 cycles - unless you find that you are struggling to keep Brian over 50 (even with HC/honey). Or if he drops below 40.

If your question is answered, you remove the "?" prefix (if you've used it) as well as the question from the thread title and keep only the date, kitty's name and BG numbers in the title :)

18. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

it says "brain" at the moment, instead of "brian".....
    I recognized and knew it was you, but other might get worried there is some big problem :rolleyes::D

Nate2021 likes this.
  19. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

I'm stilllll not sure what to change in my title lol. I am looking at it like huh did someone change it for me.

I've started using the 20% carb but he needing 1 tablespoon (instead of teaspoon) to get up, and then I've been giving a second tablespoon to keep him up, is it OK to keep doing this?

20. Nate2021

Nate2021 Member

Haha goodness me sorry! I'm looking for the sticky about posting and titles rn too. Blaming Brian for sleep deprivation

Hercule's mum and Butters & Lyla like this.
  21. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

The occasional intervention with higher carb is okay. He will probably earn another reduction soon! :)

Nate2021 likes this.