4/12 Pearl PMPS 67, +2.25 73, +4.5 110

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Apr 12, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning all!

Pearl and I are experimenting with new food choices - well, giving her 3% food totally, and not combined with the 0%. She is not the biggest fan of her 0% turkey and duck - I know it. And it's been increasingly difficult getting her to eat, to the point I am concerned she has not gotten enough calories. On the other hand, no coaxing needed with her 3% venison blend - she wolfs it down.

Last night it didn't seem to affect her (she is very carb-sensitive, so don't know if this means she is about ready for a reduction or whether she gets less carb-sensitive the more well-regulated she is), so we'll see what today's AM cycle holds.

Yesterday's post: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-11-pearl-pmps-82-2-67-3-75-81.246022/#post-2776558

Surf safely kitties.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Morning Margaret, good luck with the food experiment, a nice start for today.
    Have a good day ♥:bighug::bighug:

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Pearl continues to eat for you. Nice start today.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I noticed the pumpkin last night. May I ask what that is for?

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Good morning Margaret! Haven't visited you guys in a few days and Pearl is looking great on this dose!

I find Ruby's carb sensitivity is never a consistent thing. It shifts. Sometimes I need just LC to bring her up from low numbers, sometimes I need 30% HC. Feeding raw has made things easier because I know the carb content is nearly zero outside of the fiber I add which is minimal, but when I'm feeding the curve it's always an experiment. Good luck with it!

6. Margaret (and Pearl)

It's for constipation.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

My experience has been that sometimes 2% carb food can send butters's numbers way high, and other times I'll be trying to get her to stay up with 12% and it's doing nothing:confused:. I found that when I had to use higher carbs and she stayed flat, it usually meant a reduction was coming sooner than later.

8. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Surf safely Pearl nice numbers. Enjoy your day Margaret!

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

I agree with this totally. I have found so far that when I use the 3% more heavily and it doesn't even cause a blip in Pearl's BG, she is close to a reduction. Right now, she is on only 3% and it is doing NOTHING to her BG. Incredible. On the other hand, historically when she is NOT near a reduction and I use the 3%, it definitely causes her BG to ride higher. Thanks for the confirmation, Lyla.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I hope Pearl will be ready for a reduction soon -- although I see you have only been on this dose for 6 days -- that's only to say that I don't get why cats have such changing insulin requirements... five days they're good on a dose... then they need less.... you give less and they're good for a while.... then they change on you and need more.) It's basically a full time job.

What's the 3% food you've been trying? Is it something you make yourself or a commercial brand?

11. Margaret (and Pearl)

Thanks. Pearl doesn't stay on a dose for more than 14 cycles typically. Either she gets a reduction on her own, or I will attempt a reduction after 14 cycles in normal numbers. I want to keep her as tightly regulated as possible, so yes it is a full time job for sure. We haven't needed to go back up so many times yet, so I can't speak to that part lol!

It's the Wellness Venison (lamb and beef in it also). It's nice because it is some of the smoothest food we've ever used, no lumps. She hates lumps.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.