Last Post - Caliper Information Provided

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherryl & Mouzer, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherryl & Mouzer

Cherryl & Mouzer Well-Known Member

Good Morning and I wish everyone a great day :)

Based on Mouzer's AMPS, I am completely stumped-

4/11 Mouzer: AMPS 123/+2 126/+5 69/+6 69/PMPS 88/+2 104/+4 112/+6 110

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Why? Lower than expected?

He is just settling into the dose :)

3. Cherryl & Mouzer

His +1 makes it even worse :confused:

amps 1st 73, 2nd 75, 3rd 74 - ate 2 tablespoons LC
    amps +1 - 1st 154, 2nd 155
    Surely his food would not do that?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. Bandit's Mom

He is often 30-40 points higher at +2 and then comes down later in the cycle.

Let's see where he is at +3.

Cherryl & Mouzer likes this.
  5. Cherryl & Mouzer

Why does he go up before coming down? I have had that going over my mind all along. He makes no sense.
    And this morning's shot, I really cannot say he got 0.25. It just seems near nothing is getting into the syringe.
    I pulled it to 0.5 and I got this syringe to somewhat twist for me, so I twisted it to in between 0.5 and 0.
    I saw a drop come out at that time. I pushed to see what was left, and just one tiny little drop came out.
    I drew again to 0.5 mark, twisting that to in between 0.5 and 0.25, but based on the bit of drop, drop I saw previously, I dont know what he is getting.

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Mouzer comes back down today. The important thing is to try and get a consistent dose, not how much is in the dose. :bighug::bighug:

7. Cherryl & Mouzer

Well, it has been consistent, if even that consistency is nothing in the syringe hahahaha
    I am so laughing :joyful:

8. Cherryl & Mouzer

I have to get on the job. I am running behind. I will put up bg reads sometime later today.
    I do have best wishes for everyone.

9. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

11. Cherryl & Mouzer

I thank you for your generosity but I had a magnifier just to arrive!
    I could not figure out if I was to purchase one specified for the brand of syringes, so I hope it does help. I will use it at this pmps!
    I just bought 500 syringes, so I am stuck with them hahaha

This is the magnifier I bought:
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1241/ezy-dose-syringe-magnifier
    And these are they syringes:
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product...e2P_8UyTndGPYcbpLlLHD6JJvZvpAkNqA-TyahxQR4f1w

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  12. Cherryl & Mouzer

I am afraid to give a dose increase. The next dose up from 0.25 is 0.5, and Mouzer went lime on 0.5.
    If there is something in between 0.25 and 0.5, I would only know to draw up for a 0.25 fat/0.5 skinny, but I am not making a move just yet.

I am hoping this is all in my struggles with drawing the 0.25 and once I can get that figured out, maybe he wont have the high bump. If by chance he is basically running on no insulin right now, those numbers would be his norm hahaha But I cannot know if he is getting insulin or is getting some or what, so I cannot speak accurately on that either :)

I do understand now what you are saying about the food bump and the pm wearing off, so that could bring that up to where he went this morning, especially if he either did not get any pm insulin at all or got just a drop of insulin or what on that still :D

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Darcy always goes up after AMPS and then comes down. At AMPS, his insulin from the night before is pretty much done... and then I shoot... but it's going to take a few hours for onset... so that's what always happens.

I hope Mouzer is feeling well today because his numbers really look good. You said you wanted comfy greens with some blues?

14. Cherryl & Mouzer

I prefer ALL comfy greens hahaha But I know for Mouzer that will not be. It has not been, so I do not expect that.
    Even if he goes into remission, I do not expect that. Mouzer in remission would be the numbers I am seeing now.
    Mouzer supposedly on insulin, I am not sure what I should be seeing.
    And I say supposedly on insulin because for now, I have not been able to tell if he is getting insulin or not.
    I have a magnifier that just arrived in the past 30 minutes or so, and I am so hoping it helps me be sure that 0.25 is drawn and given.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  15. Cherryl & Mouzer

Thank You and I am copying brand and link from the syringes I ordered and have:

CarePoint Vet U-100 Syringes 31G 3/10cc 5/16" - Half Unit Marks 500ct

16. Cherryl & Mouzer

And so much for AM insulin wearing off LOL PMPS 73, same as PM insulin wearing off :rolleyes:
    I guess am and pm wearing off falls in the +1/+2
    And according to the magnifier, I still do not know if Mouzer is getting insulin hahaha
    The magnifier is making it clear to me that drawing up to 0.5 is not much to come out when twisting to get to 0.25, which is just barely above the 0 line, and when I push that on out, there is a very tiny drop of insulin. So, Mouzer may be at least getting a drop of insulin and I do not think I will be able to know for certain if it is 0.25 until I am able to use a caliper for certain accuracy. I find that the syringes stink :D

17. Suzanne & Darcy

I always use the B-D syringes with half unit markings. They are soooo much better at not giving me big air bubbles. Don't you just love it when you have an air bubble... flick it to the top.... try to push out the air bubble and the only thing that happens is that your insulin comes out and the air bubble stays put! I hope the calipers will help!!

18. Cherryl & Mouzer

I havent had any air bubbles at all hahaha
    It is just that the half marks are with very little space in between but because of the 0 mark, it makes it harder for me to tell where I am in between.
    The 0 mark is fatter than all other marks. Pain in my arse, let me tell ya :D
    I wish the caliper would get here, and with Susie's help, that I might can learn to use them. Because I am now going to be driven insane until I get something that is for certain accurate to let me know that this drop of insulin is in fact 0.25 hahaha It is such a very tiny drop.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

I know some people who have a cat on such a tiny dose that all they do is take the syringe... push the plunger all the way in... stick in the insulin and release the plunger. Micro dose. This would really drive me crazy. I don't know if I would believe that they were getting any insulin at all (since I'd never be able to see it!)

20. Cherryl & Mouzer

Same here on that with you! Here I am not knowing if Mouzer is either getting a drop or none at times, or is it 0.25 that is just a drop --
    Forget the mircro thing haahaahaa
    I REALLY need that caliper to arrive and I REALLY need to learn how to use it :joyful:

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

22. Summer and Susie (GA)

The calipers are pretty ease to use but you need to know the mm required for the dose. Let's see if we can get you some help.

23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It
    s in “Dosing with Calipers” post. 1u = 1.22 mm

24. Cherryl & Mouzer

Would that be 1.22 divided by 4? To get 0.25? = 0.305mm?
    And I am so only taking a stab in the dark, as I have no knowledge of this at all :)

25. Marje and Gracie

It’s best to read the complete dosing with calipers post as I give very detailed instructions.

26. Cherryl & Mouzer

Thank You :) I have read them when I watched the two videos. I just read again but I am going to need to wait until the caliper gets here and try reading while doing what I read. I am not able to grasp it as is. Hopefully with caliper in hand, I will gain a better understanding.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  27. Bandit's Mom

Cherryl, I use this brand as well and most of the syringes are way off w.r.t the zero mark. It's only after I started using calipers and my phone camera as a magnifier did I realize how much inconsistency there could have been in my dosing!

From the dosing with calipers sticky, 1U = 1.20mm, so 0.25U will be 0.30mm

28. Summer and Susie (GA)

Is there someplace where Cherryl can get the mm specifications, for her specific syringes, for all units from .25 (0.30) to 2 units? In other words, for the following: .025, .05, .075, 1, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 and 2 units. This could be helpful for her going forward with increases and decreases. I have all 8 units, with their designated millimeters, taped to one of my cabinet doors so I have the information available every time I adjust Susie's units.

29. Bandit's Mom

You just need to calculate it based on the 1U mm specs.

1U = 1.2mm
    0.25U = 0.3mm
    0.5U = 0.6mm
    0.75U = 0.9mm

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  30. Cherryl & Mouzer

I dont even know where to post any more. Thread of the day or yesterday or tomorrow lolol
    I am brining a portion of this over here from today's thread, so you all can see why I am so confused.

Because I have read this sticky so many times over and have the largest headache of life going on due to that, I am making this post hahaha
    This link dosing with calipers has me confused. I am sorry but I have tried to explain my issues with comprehension to such things as this.
    You have to have this disability to understand it, I guess :(

If I can simply go by the list at the link, where Carepoint is 1.2mm and divide by 4 because there are 4 0.25's in 1u, then I am good with the mm info and am to do 0.3 or 0.30, whatever the caliper requires for that.
    But because each syringe is different (I guess, according to what I have read in the sticky) and if I am to count drops to find the mm, that is most likely not going to happen. I cannot consistently put out whatever a drop is, to be equal drops sizes each time, to count in order to find mm.

Below is where this all began with confusion, as I took the CarePoint 1.22mm, mentioned by Marje, and divided it by 4.

Being as there was no yes or no answer to the division by 4, and I am directed to read the sticky again, I guessed I must have to go re-read the counting of the drops and if it is that I have to count drops, then this will not be possible because with each twist or push of the plunger, comes different size drops.

So, I headed back to read the page again and something about each syringe being different and counting drops in between ... I forget, I have to go back and find it hahaha But anyhow, so this is the headache and because I got so confused, I kept re-reading the link which has led to a massive migraine and a whole lot of confusion for me.

Because people without such a disability cannot understand the struggles with it, I often muddle around just figuring things out by trial and error.
    But this is a matter of life and death for Mouzer, I cannot do that this time. I must be accurate.
    I honestly wish I never had to ask a question and could just be sure in what I am doing, so I do not kill Mouzer.

@Bandit's Mom @Summer and Susie

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  31. Bandit's Mom

32. Summer and Susie (GA)

Cherryl, go up to the post from Bandit's Mom and print the units, from .25 to 1 unit, that show the mm on the syringe. These are the measurements you will need to set on your caliper. Hang on to that information. Tape it to a cabinet where you load Mouzer's insulin. That is valuable information because each syringe is DIFFERENT and she has the mm measurements for your syringe. When you get the caliper we can help you further with finding the mm measurement on it. Just remember - you have to set it for mm and not inches.

33. Cherryl & Mouzer

Thank You :)
    I dont have a printer but I saved that info to notepad and will be writing it down on a card to keep tucked in the pouch I keep Mouzer's insulin in.

34. Marje and Gracie

I gave her the 1u = 1.2mm and the link to the post on how to calculate the doses. Bhooma did, too. At some point, members need to take some responsibility on themselves to do a little bit of math ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  35. Marje and Gracie

Why would you need to count drops? That is nowhere in my instructions. There was an answer and that was to read the post and in the post, I suggested doing it by 0.1u so 1.2/10 = 0.12 mm for each 0.1u of dose. If you are doing 0.25u then that is 0.12mm + 0.12mm + 0.06 mm or....as you calculated .3mm.

36. Cherryl & Mouzer

For anyone who may not understand the formula used to find what is needed for calipers, I am placing it here in case you see this.
    You can do this without having to keep a card around with the list for you to refer to, because now you can do the math :)

My disability was not the issue. My not understanding what formula is being used to find the solution, was the issue, which I was doing the math going by that I did not know what is the formula, and is why I was going for counting drops, a guessing game. This was not a case of one not taking responsibility and not doing the math :)

Formula: (dose) x 1.5 (conversion number provided for syringe brand) = caliper mm
    0.25 x 1.5 = 0.38mm

From dosing with calipers sticky:
    For example, when I developed this originally, I was using the Terumo U100, 0.3cc, 1/2-unit marking syringes (no longer available)
    where 1.52mm = 1u:

0.15mm = 0.1u
    0.3mm = 0.2u
    0.38mm = 0.25u
    0.76mm = 0.5u
    1.14mm = 0.75u
    1.52mm = 1u

Below is from the dosing with calipers sticky and I have added the formula...

All of these syringes are U100, 0.3cc (the gauge of the needle won’t matter):
    Monoject 1.24mm = 1u (dose x 1.24 = caliper mm)
    ReliOn 1.32 mm = 1u (dose x 1.32 = caliper mm)
    BD Ultrafine II (Canada) 1.5mm = 1u BD (dose x 1.5 = caliper mm)
    Ultrafine II (US) 1.62mm = 1u (dose x 1.62 = caliper mm)
    Carepoint 1.2mm = 1u (dose x 1.2 = caliper mm)
    UltiCare VetRX 1.25mm = 1u (dose x 1.25 = caliper mm)

You all have a great day and a great life :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.