4/12 DALE AMPS 270 +5 86 +6 74 PMPS 112 +1 137 +3 79

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&Dale, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

HI

is today's low a bounce?? I had to go back to 1.5 units because I only had 1 unit needles and was trying my best to just give 1.5 units and I've only been giving him the 1.75 for 4 days now..... do I go back to 1.5 units since i'm SLGS and he went below 90 today ??

I am able to test all night and I have med carb, hi carb etc I'm ready to go...

2. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

20 min later test 117 ......

I'm going to feed him and reduce dose.... 1.5 unit......

3. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Hi Jerica, here is the sticky that explains SLGS dosing. According to that protocol, a drop below 90 is an immediate reduction by 0.25 unit. I don't give dosing advice and I don't know your specific history, but yes a reduction follows those guidelines.

When a cat goes low that is not a bounce. What happened today is that Dale went into normal numbers. Now, his body is not used to that so his body may freak out a little and release more glucose because it panicked. What results is some high numbers - the high numbers is the bounce part. You may find that as your cat gets more and more used to green numbers, he will stay more steady and not spike afterwards (and the bounce can be delayed also, so you might not see it for a couple of cycles).

@Wendy&Neko @tiffmaxee @Christie & Maverick @Tina Marie and Jan I'm tagging some people who can help with the dosing and be aware of your reduction!

4. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Thank you! I just wasn't sure if the normal #'s were a bounce since he's only been on this dose for a few days now bc I had to go back to 1.5 for a cpl days...

I didn't know you could tag people! Thank you. I think I'm doing the right thing with giving him 1.5 tonight... I will check him every hour to see what his Bg is up too....

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  5. Margaret (and Pearl)

Nope the normal numbers are not a bounce. You might see some higher numbers than usual tonight or tomorrow or in a couple day - that will be the bounce from his nice green streak today.

You’ve been on this dose for 9 cycles, cats do what they do and sometimes it does happen that they earn a reduction that quickly.

6. Margaret (and Pearl)

I think that sounds good, you know what to do right? Green numbers are good. If he is dropping near 50 you can use the food strategically to help keep him afloat, adding a teaspoon or two of your MC. You will see how much you need as you go. If he goes under 50, give HC and test every 30 min until he is rising and stable for many tests in a row. I don’t anticipate this for your kitty I just like to be prepared with knowledge. There is a sticky to read also on this.

Jerica&Dale likes this.
  7. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Yes. I have another diabetic/acro boy. But he is much different from Dale. SO I know the drill!!
    Thank you !!!

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  8. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Here is your last post for continuity, and so others can see some history.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...93-6-252-dose-advice-plz.245583/#post-2771076

I see from looking at your SS the AMPS of 85 on am cycle of April 5th, and I'm glad you didn't give insulin with that number. With SLGS we don't recommend giving insulin when a kitty is under 90. One comment, while you reduced his next cycle to a dose of 1.5u, you only held that dose for 3 days. With SLGS you need to hold the dose for 7 days, then evaluate after 7 days, based on how low the dose is taking the kitty. Now that you have reduced, please hold this dose for 7 days before considering an increase. Of course, if he drops under 90 again, you need to take an immediate 0.25u reduction.

@Margaret (and Pearl) sent you the link to the SLGS dosing method, please do have a look. I believe I did as well in your last post, so if you have any questions, please let us know, we are always happy to help.

I can't tell from your SS whether you are still stalling, but when you stall, you don't feed and retest in 20 minutes to see if the number is coming up. Have you retested or did you shoot?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  9. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Thank you. Sorry I should have held the 1.5 longer originally.

I gave 1.5 units.
    +1 137
    +3 79

Will check +4

10. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Two great back to back cycles!

That's quite a drop at +3. Please feed him a little LC to keep him surfing?

Could you please take out the "STALLING" in your thread title and update the numbers from the PM cycle? Thanks :)

Jerica&Dale likes this.
  11. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Yes just gave him a his routine night snack just now .

and yes will change title i meant to do that

Bandit's Mom likes this.