3/30, Susie, 169 AMPS, 174 @+1, 176 @+2

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Mar 30, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...ncrease-and-pen-question.245400/#post-2769105

Well, it did not take long for the 2 units to kick in. Susie's 169 AMPS was stunning but I went ahead and shot her and she was really hungry so just jumped into her breakfast. I have no problem monitoring her at home today but I need to go out tomorrow morning for about three hours and Thursday morning I HAVE to be out from 7:30 (EST) until noon so this worries me. I can put off tomorrow until Friday but what if Susie needs to be monitored even more on Friday.

Need advice on what to do when I am out tomorrow (or Friday) and certainly on Thursday morning.

I will check her blood at +2, +4, +6 and +8 today if that is recommended. If I need to check sooner, or at other times, please advise. Thank you.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's difficult to tell you what to do tomorrow, Thursday or Friday because we don't know what her numbers will be. Gathering data today will help you make a decision if she has a blue AMPS. I think a +2 is fine to start. She may bounce today. She may have dipped lower last night.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

I think I will go back in and test at +1 just to see where she is after breakfast. I am worried about when I have to be out but will make sure she has food. I think I will put off my trip tomorrow morning until Friday so I have more data but I cannot miss Thursday morning.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Lovely start today! Let's hope she gives you a nice surf today...

So here's a possibility of what might happen - this is the first blue she's seen in a while - and if she keeps going down - these nice low numbers are going to result in a bounce. It would be highly likely that tomorrow she'll be in 'the bounce' and her numbers will be higher.....BUT - no one can ever predict with much accuracy what these kitties will do. They do what they do and no one can ever make a guaranteed prediction of upcoming behavior.

If it were me, I'd be planning on what to leave out for food for Susie while you're out...based on her numbers today and tomorrow - even if you have to give her some MC before you leave which will bump her numbers higher - it's a better thing to have a day too high than an hour too low.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Summer and Susie (GA)

I agree with you, Sue. I don't have a problem if she goes a little high when I am gone so will make sure she has food. Question for you. I have been giving her a small meal (1/2 can of FF) around +6 during the day. When I have to go out when do you suggest I set the auto feeder for? Especially on Thursday when I will be gone from 7:30 until noon. Maybe at +3 or +4? I am testing, feeding and shooting at 6:00 am/pm.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I can only tell you what I do when I have to be out of the house for longer than usual. I say to myself 'what if' - what if Luci were to go low this morning/afternoon, whatever that I'm away? I cannot test and I cannot determine how much lower she will go - so without knowing what those numbers might be - all I have is the test that I'm doing right at that moment - so if it's a nice medium or low blue - I have to ask myself, will she go lower? Maybe.

I set my auto-feeder to have a tablespoon of LC in most of the slots. IF she's showing a green number, I can't risk that she won't go off on an adventure with the sharks, so I set the feeder up for every two hours with MC. Yes, the numbers will likely be higher than what I'd like when I get home, but I won't come home to a hypo cat either!

It's more important to have food available to her when I'm not here, than to worry about her having some numbers that I don't like to see - like those yellows, pinks or reds...But that's the price you pay for being unable to monitor and feed based on each number - sometimes it's just not possible for us to be there every hour of every day for our kitties...

People who have jobs and must leave their kitties to go earn more cat food, etc. implement this kind of feeding - if kitty is low, put out medium food - and hopefully that'll last through the day - some even use frozen food in the auto-feeders so by the time it opens later that day it's thawed and provides a little boost for kitty - food will help bridge those lower numbers and in a perfect kitty world, a nice steady stream of food helps them surf the day away - between naps and bird-watching.

I hope this is helpful :)

7. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I am glad Susie seems to be responding to the new dose!

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Great pre-shot number!

9. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Sue. I appreciate your insight and will "follow suit".

Sue and Luci likes this.
  10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Karen. I hope she doesn't respond too well too soon. I have to go out later this week.

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Suzanne. It was quite a shock this morning.

12. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

As bandit's mum always says.... careful what you wish for! :);)

But she seems to be surfing on blue, which is a wonderful place to be... fingers crossed it stays there! I think it will she is not a very bouncy girl (anti-jinx)

13. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

She didn't stay on the beach long but I am encouraged.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Not too bad for the only second day. Nice to see those blues. I hope to see some more tomorrow (tonight?)

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

I have to ask this question. Susie had low blues this morning but never seemed to be feeling good. She just threw up a dark brown, reddish liquid after not eating anything but treats for 5 hours. This concerns me.

Are there never any cases where an insulin increase doesn't actually harm or upset the system of a cat? She had a great appetite early this morning and I will see in about 30 minutes if she is still hungry when I test and shoot her but this has me concerned. She has not been acting well for several hours. She was "abnormally" low this morning. How can the system not be upset with her unusual numbers this morning and what do I do to alleviate that upset - even if it means a reduction?

17. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, I saw your other post but you should only post once per day per kitty--too much to keep up with on the board otherwise! :bighug:

Increasing insulin should not make your cat nauseous. You've brought this up a few times before and I think you have to look to something else that is causing her nausea. She's not regulated yet and this often can leave a cat feeling poorly but the only thing that can cure this is if you can bring her to more healing numbers and have her stay there for an extended period of time. What did your vet say about her nausea? Were you able to get the ondansetron?

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I combined your two threads of today.
    Cats take a while to get used to good numbers again. I liken it to people and caffeine. People who drink a lot of coffee per day (have high blood sugar), don't feed good when they cut back. It's been a long time since Susie has seen any green numbers, she's developed glucose toxicity and is used to higher numbers. And today's numbers were not low blues, but rather mid to upper blues.

We don't see cats get physically sick from dose increases. Especially with the small increases we do and when we know it's safe to increase. You test a lot more than many people on SLGS.
    She had a great appetite in mid blues, and now her blood sugar is going up and she's not feeling as well.

Here is an interesting post from one of our members who is herself a diabetic:

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Could this be related to the elevated liver enzymes?

Also, what color were the treats she ate? The color may just be from the treats (they usually put food coloring in them).

Don't you just wish we could ask them what's going on?

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Since we are talking about human diabetics @Wendy&Neko, do people "bounce" like cats do? Just wondering if you know.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

I haven't talked to my vet about the nausea she had tonight. She doesn't throw up a lot anymore and it is usually when she has eaten one of my Mom's artificial plants. I received the cerenia and miratzapan today but will watch her before I give her the cerenia..

22. Summer and Susie (GA)

Makes sense, Wendy. She did seem to be feeling better this morning. Thanks. I guess as a "Mom" I worry when she gets sick like she did tonight.

23. Summer and Susie (GA)

I do wish I could ask her why she felt badly tonight. I was hoping to start getting her BG down before I had her liver enzymes (ALT, AST) rechecked again and I thought we were making progress today. Maybe, I just cannot wait. I'll watch her over the next couple of days to see how this increase affects her and if she throws up anymore.

24. Summer and Susie (GA)

Sorry about the duplicate post but how do you get someone's attention when you have already posted for the day with a question mark. Who will look at your most recent concerning post if you don't bring attention to it?

25. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you haven't noticed, a helicopter parent is a common trait here. :bighug::bighug:

Once you have a question answered, you remove the question mark from the subject line. If you have a new question, you change the subject line to add the question mark back in, ad a summary of the new question in the title, and post the new concern. We scan for posts with questions.