3/3 Crush hypo this am now fine (+8.5 103-ER/amps 466 +6.5 305)dosing help please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Andrea and Crushy Carran, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Andrea and Crushy Carran

Andrea and Crushy Carran Member

Had a dental last Wednesday. Had a Libre attached. Awoke at +8 to moaning and panting and walking in circles. Scanned Libre and saw Crush had been hypo for 2 hours. Brought her up with food, but she was still moaning, panting, and pacing. Took to ER - said vitals are fine. Took to regular vet - said she was fine. Reduced dose from 1.5 this morning and shot her around 10:15 a.m. (1-1/2 hours late).

Do you think I should reset? Stay at 1.0?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1arIWRdfGS81lwijc8D8G8FJQx6i41rNnpoa0lFj8Ruw/edit?usp=sharing

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

After an symptomatic hypo some cats become very sensitive to insulin. Please post the pmps and ask for dosing advice then.

3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you went through that with Crush. That must have been terrifying but I'm so glad he is okay!

I don't know how often you're checking the Libre but a good rule of thumb is to always check at +2, as that's when Lantus onsets for most cats. If the +2 is lower than the preshot it means numbers will very likely go lower so you will want to get more BG checks in so you can catch him if he goes too low again.

4. Marj & Djoko

Marj & Djoko Member

I am wondering if you have tested with a strip as well (I assume so but wanted to check). Was it a big gap between the result on the freestyle and on the strip? (sometimes the libre shows me Djoko is in hypo where he is at 4.8 on a strip). I am glad he is well then!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Wendy&Neko and tiffmaxee like this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Like Marj said, I've heard (and read in the research) that Libre lows should be double checked manually with a BG meter.

The 40's you saw mean that the 1.5 unit dose should be reduced to 1.25 units. FWIW, some cats not on insulin test in the 40's on a human meter. We just don't want a cat on insulin to test that low so reduce the dose when we see those numbers.