3/28 Minnie PMPS 245, +2.5 407, +3.5 433 gave 1/2u R gave ondansetron but appy off.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Liz & Minnie, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Saturday's hospital update
    AM SUMMARY BG
    3/28 Minnie HOSPITAL AMPS 124, +4 246, HOME +6.5 50, +7 57 , +7.5 63, +8 74, +8 88, +10 107

To quote our regular vet "That girl..."

They reduced supplemental potassium last night and it's now well in normal range. Sodium, Chloride, kidney values all good. Ketones down to trace.

I think Minnie and I will be bonding with the ear poking in the next couple of days. They have been feeding her w/d (25% carbs) getting the following BG numbers on a vet meter.
    • Sat 3/27 (yesterday) AMPS 6am 363, +5 230s, +8 230s, +10 225.
    • Sat 3/27 (yesterday) PMPS +14 8PM 266, +4 500 gave 1u R, +8 170
    • Sun 3/28 this morning AMPS 8am 125

I think those numbers run lower than the human meter? And she's at the vet which should be making her stressed/BG running higher, and I will be feeding her lower carb food....which makes me think I may see lower numbers when she's back at home. Or she might bounce. I will likely be asking for guidance later this afternoon/evening!

HA I went out yesterday and bought every low fat, low carb food I could find on Dr Pierson's list (lots of Tiki though there are a few 9 lives varieties I couldn't find at the fancy pet stores or Safeway). Low fat, high carb not so easy to find but I have plenty of our 'regular' food and they've started her on the cholesterol meds in the hospital so I will focus on the carbs and not worry too much about the fat content at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    thebigfuzz and Marina & Chico like this.
  2. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

So good to hear she is doing better and that she can go home :) good luck with the bonding today and we really hope for some nice numbers :bighug:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh fantastic!! Minnie is coming home!! Welcome Home Minnie. Do you think you can make it to the Full Worm Moon Party tonight. I think they will have karaoke.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

And yes, those numbers aren't bad for someone eating a 25% carb food. If only I could eat lots of carbs and stay as slender as Minnie... sigh...

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

That's such great news, please keep us posted ♥:bighug::bighug:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

What a great update! Come on home Minnie :cat:
    FWIW, pet meters generally run higher than a human meter. Maybe ask what meter they are using?

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

YAY! Minnie's coming home! You must be relieved. Give her some squishes and scritches from me and her sugar friend Ruby. :bighug:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  8. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Yay! So glad she is coming home!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Happy to hear she is doing well and will be coming home today. Wonderful news!

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  10. Liz & Minnie

Thanks to everyone! We are back home and very happy (me) and hungry (her). She went straight to the crumbs left from Sammy's breakfast, so I started with a blood test. She was grumpier than usual, growlingat me. I nearly fell over. BG = 50 on my freestyle lite.

She was RAVENOUS so I gave her 1/4 can DM 5% since it was open. Decided this is not panic station for me since they were not seeing numbers like this in the vet but looks like this afternoon will need a bunch of testing.

I also brought home a few cans of the wd from the vet, since I know she had been eating that and wasn't sure she would eat what I have.

Appreciate guidance on how I manage this transition (other than keep testing :D) e.g. suggestions on % carbs to give. The DM fat % is too high for her per the hyperlipidemia treatment, though at the moment that's less of a concern to me than the carb%. I do have a large variety of low carb/low fat and the WD which is HC/allegedly low fat. No MC.

11. Liz & Minnie

Retested after 30min, now 57. Gave her mix DM (5%) and w/d (25%) total 1/8 can. She is starving.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do know when they last gave R? Was it last night?

At least she's eating! :) Let's see what she is in 1/2 hour after getting her paws on some HC.

13. Liz & Minnie

Last R was at midnight last night so ~16h ago. She is DEFINITELY eating!! Walking a tightrope with the food at the moment - I've seen before 'only give a little, we want them to keep their appetite' but she is SO HUNGRY. Poor girl. She's getting cut off the Mirtazapine. I am conscious that we are after nadir so trying to mix proportions of the 25% with the 5% since I've seen her BG jump with HC before.

So grateful for this group...almost feels like the last 2 months have been training me up for today. I am not panicking though I can tell the adrenaline has kicked in!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  14. Liz & Minnie

Too late! but it's ok. I have lots of practice with readings from different monitors LOL. Glad I got my own numbers immediately before dropping her off and have been getting their numbers, so I am not too panicky about the 50....but still kinda panicked when I saw it. :eek:

:cat::banghead:

15. Liz & Minnie

Creeping up a bit to 74 @+8 - she's still hungry but not quite so ravenous. Stopping for breath while eating.

Also stabbed myself with the lancet so figured I'd check my own BG, 81. Not bad considering the 2 tubs of ice cream I ate last night.

16. Liz & Minnie

I have a feeling tonight she is more interested in the all-you-can-eat buffet than singing :rolleyes:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  17. Liz & Minnie

+8.5 up to 88 but she has completely lost appetite, zero interest in food

18. Wendy&Neko

How long ago was the mirtazapine?

19. Liz & Minnie

Notes say yesterday morning 3/27 0800.I discussed with the dr Fri afternoon 3/26 but looks like they didn't give it til the following morning. They don't carry the transdermal - instead give 1/4 15mg tablet every 3 days.

What's odd is they didn't think she was especially hungry but she was meowing in the car all the way home (out of character) and ravenous when we got here. Hm. I have the transdermal at home & discharge instructions say to use as previously prescribed daily.

She did eat some of the DM a little later maybe +9/9.5 but didn't finish it.+10 at 107.

Any chance the crushed up potassium gluconate pill disturbed her appetite?

Now crossing fingers for the next 2 hours til shot time!

20. Wendy&Neko

Yes. Maybe it's gritty and she doesn't like the texture. Did she try any of the food? The last mirtz would be long ago worn off.

21. Liz & Minnie

She ate everything I gave her, including the crushed potassium, at +8. After the +8.5 test she had zero interest in food, even when I put the bowl right next to her. Didn't sniff and turn away, she just wasn't interested. Then sometime between +9-9.5 she ate about half of it. She's just resting since then.

Should I apply the Mirtazapine now? Her Ondansetron is also due at shot time (in 2 hours). She's at 107 now, +10.

Marina & Chico likes this.
  22. Wendy&Neko

Always antinausea meds before appetite stimulants. You don't want to force a nauseous cat to eat. It will turn her off food even more.

Suzanne & Darcy and Liz & Minnie like this.
  23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to hear Minnie is home and eating so well! Isn’t that wonderful!?

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, a little stress eating perhaps? Poor Liz! I understand.

25. Liz & Minnie

Time for a little bit of this again :banghead:. Her appetite is off again. PMPS 245, being finicky with food. Tried a few things - luckily she had the ondansetron in the few mouthfuls she took. Then I swooped in with the Levemir. Eventually had about 1oz Peking Ducken 9% then a little Tiki chicken, but really not too interested. Something is still off, behavior-wise.

She has NOT had cerenia today (discharge instructions said only if the ondansetron doesn't work). Do I give her the Mirtazapine, since she's had ondansetron - if yes what time makes sense?

Daytime summary
    3/28 Minnie HOSPITAL AMPS 124, +4 246, HOME +6.5 50, +7 57 , +7.5 63, +8 74, +8 88, +10 107

26. Liz & Minnie

@Wendy&Neko hope you're still around! What R dose do you recommend?

Minnie is at 407 @+2.5. Per vet instructions (and what they've been doing in hospital) this means giving 1u R to address the ketones. They were at trace on discharge so I don't want to let them go back up again, and she's not eaten much since this afternoon. I know the vet's instructions don't align with what you do here.

27. Wendy&Neko

Looks like a bounce. I'd be guessing on the R. We don't want the R nadir and L nadir to line up, so usually give R earlier, but with a bounce probably not a problem. Maybe 0.5 units? 1 unit R is dropping her too much - which sets off yet another bounce.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  28. Liz & Minnie

Thank you! I was also checking with the vet at the hospital (luckily the same one who was looking after Min) and she said the same, 0.5u!

She also said her observation was that she was off when the potassium was low, so if she's still the same in the morning to take her back for potassium re-check. :banghead::arghh:

29. Suzanne & Darcy

Are you dosing the Ondansetron three times per day?

30. Liz & Minnie

Prescribed twice.