3/20 Mikan AMPS 224, +2 199, +4 96, +7 51, +7.5 92, PMPS 259, +2 186, +3 149, +4 146

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mikanmama, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

3/19/23 POST

Good morning!

Wishing everyone a happy Monday :)

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You will soon get comfortable in the 50s as well :)

Late in the cycle, you don't need carbs to bring numbers up. So next time, try LC first. Feeding carbs reduces duration and can lead to higher preshots.

Karen and Chispa and Mikanmama like this.
  3. Mikanmama

Thank you Bhooma! I really appreciate your expert guidance :)

I'll try LC first with 50-65 range BG after, shall I say, +4?

Mikan loves the MC 11% stuff but it is me who feels a sense of relief when I see her munch on MC with the green number - I have to be able to deal with my own anxiety better. :oops:
    I too was wondering if I was pushing the BG up too hard with MC food. Such a delicate balance!

4. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

Good morning! Have a lovely day!

Mikanmama likes this.
  5. Bandit's Mom

Yes, especially if you can get another test later. If you have to leave her and go to work, it might make sense to add a little 11%.

You will get there. Greens are scary initially but get addictive soon :)

Mikanmama likes this.
  6. Mikanmama

I can't wait to get addicted to the greens!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Mikanmama

Thank you :) You too, Deb! :bighug:

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  8. Mikanmama

@Bandit's Mom,
    She was 96 at +3.75ish. Came down quickly. I swallowed hard and gave her LC food - I have to go to work but will be back for +7 to test her. LC food is out for her just in case.
    Gosh, I hate to have to go!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

That's quite a dive between +2 and +3.75! You might have to add a snack at +3, if she isn't already getting one.
    Behave, Mikan! No greeting mama with limes when she gets back! ;)

Mikanmama likes this.
  10. Karen and Chispa

Karen and Chispa Well-Known Member

Good morning, @Mikanmama and @Bandit's Mom ! Sorry to hijack this condo with a question of my own, but the cheat sheet I've been using (courtesy of @Angela & Cleo) goes something like this:

60+ Feed LC (0-10%) and test in an hour
    50-59 Feed MC (11-15%) and test in half and hour
    40-49 Feed HC (16% or more) and test every 15-20 minutes until above 50 two tests in a row. Make sure she is still above 50 and not falling two hours after the last higher carb meal or snack.
    Do I need to tweak this?

I swear, I learn something new every day from reading other people's mail -- lol! :smuggrin:

Angela & Cleo and Mikanmama like this.
  11. Mikanmama

Oh boy. @+7 she had 51! Phew, barely made it! I am hoping to keep the dose until she can start having better preshot numbers.
    She had LC can food a+3. With 51, even though it's +7, I fed her LC wet food with 1/2 tsp 11% that she adores.
    I will test her in 30 min. Come on Mikan! Listen to Bhooma and behave! ;););)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Mikanmama

Hi Karen,

This is a great cheat sheet! I love it and thank you for sharing it.
    It's so good to see a green number but it does rise my anxiety. I'm telling myself to deep breathe now :)

Karen and Chispa likes this.
  13. Bandit's Mom

Moral of the story, feed 11% if she's green at +3/+4 and you have to leave the house. Doesn't look like she eats when you aren't around? Or did she eat LC and still drop to 51?

Mikanmama likes this.
  14. Mikanmama

Doesn't look like she ate while I was gone. I just tested her again at +7.5 and 92. That looks like quite a rise in 30min but I'll take it. I think I can now go back out to work. Phew.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

It's a good rule of thumb but I would amend it to include when you get the green in the cycle.
    I've tweaked it since reposting it from another member to factor in BG in relation to onset and nadir and Cleo's carb sensitivity. And also because she's a long term diabetic and reductions are 3x under 50 on 3 separate days or once under 40.
    I stick with LC even if she gives me BGs in the 50s unless (a) I can't monitor; (b) if I'm trying to hold the dose a little longer or (c)it's a bounce breaking cycle with extra downward momentum. Gracias @Bandit's Mom for this tip!
    For example if Cleo's +2 is a green 25-35% lower than PS then I might feed a higher end LC or MC depending on my ability to monitor.
    I put notes in the SS in the +? to keep track of what I feed and when. @carfurby (GA) told me this and it makes it easier to see what worked/didn't work the last time the BG was xx.
    ECID and it gets easier with time :bighug::cat:

This is based on my personal FD journey.

16. Mikanmama

Thank you @Angela & Cleo, for sharing your experience and wisdom!

To be honest, it would cause quite a bit of palpitation for me to stick with LC when I see her in the 50s, but as long as I can monitor and keep my sugar baby safe, it does make sense.
    I guess we all have to experiment and decide what works best. But it really means a lot to learn from those who have been there, done it. Thanks again for your kindness to share.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  17. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

I do not want to be responsible for your heart palpitations :bighug:
    This works for me NOW. In the beginning I was reaching for the HC when I saw 70s LOL. (Bhooma had to talk me off the HC and MC ledge a few times). I remember what it was like the first six months after diagnosis. I was always posting and asking questions all day and all pj party nights!
    I WOULD STRONGLY suggest you post for help like you did today. You did great. Keep up the great work and could you please give Mikan some scritches from me...soooo cute :cat:

18. Mikanmama

Hahaha. I'll take care of my palpitations :D
    It's hard to imagine that you had a panic moment and grabbed onto HC :eek: I guess we all start from the uneven ground....

Oh, and from Mikan to you: PURRRRRRRRR

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  19. Karen and Chispa

Wow, Mikan was full of surprises today!! Zoom out on her spreadsheet and you can see how much progress she’s made in a relatively short time. Keep up the good work, and give that pretty girl a snuggle for me! :bighug::cat:

Mikanmama and Angela & Cleo like this.
  20. Karen and Chispa

That’s a lot of mental math — thank you for taking he time to explain it. I’ve been trying harder to record exactly what she eats and when, though with ten meals a day, it’s a lot to keep track of. My hat is off to you for your dedication and scientific approach!! Cleo is a lucky, lucky lady. :bighug::cat:

Bandit's Mom and Angela & Cleo like this.
  21. Mikanmama

Thanks Karen. She is a full of surprise recently! Definitely ahead of me and I am trying my hardest to catch up with her :joyful: And she is always happy to have that extra snuggle! :cat: Purrrr. And give a good cheek rub for adorable Chispa from me :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Karen and Chispa likes this.