3/11 Kitty AMPS 96 - suggest foods not Fancy Feast?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8851

A little late breakfast mixed into that AMPS. :D WCR: Disappointed that it is rainy. Happy that there is a warm sock in his bed.

Worry of the day is a real one: The problems with many cats walking away from the "new" FF, including Kitty. I have been sprinkling chicken dust on it to get him to eat, but if the problem is widespread, I worry about what's in that can. So today, Janet & Binky's list in hand, I will hunt for new types of low-carb food. I would really appreciate suggestions about what to look for besides carb content.

I hate having to disturb his routine when he is doing so well cat(2)_steam , but I suppose it's better to transition the food now.

2. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

A bit pricey, but I switched everyone to the Wellness Core wet food - chicken, turkey and chicken livers, not the seafood one - and they all seem to like it. Even the civvies. It has no grain so should be fairly low carb and I did not see much of a change in Oreo's numbers when we switched (I believe I noted it on SS). She gets 1/2 can twice a day since they are the 5.5oz cans.

Good luck!

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Squishy Merlin ate EVO cat/kitten, EVO 95% (chicken/turkey and duck), Nature's Variety Instinct (duck one only), ProPlan (two of the fish ones in jelly), and Weruva Mack and Jack.

Wellness is a good choice that isn't too expensive. You can get them in large 13 ounce cans.

4. Kathy and Kitty

Thank you both. I am poring through Janet & Binky's charts (FYI: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html for anyone wanting to browse), and it's not easy to find something comparable to FF.

I wonder about the rice in Evo, but I guess it's gluten free...?

5. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi Kathy -

I've also been experimenting with others brands/flavors, since my 2 boys are turning their noses up at the new FF (except for turkey & giblets). I did try some other, slightly higher carb FF (still less than 10%) - the chunky chicken and chunky turkey, and they really like those. Also the savory medleys shredded chicken fare and turkey fare....

They love the Wellness chicken, beef & chicken, and salmon & beef (not the core varieties). These are all grain-free. I've tried some friskies and nine lives, but they don't like them as much. Plus I noticed that the first ingredient is meat by-products or liver, and it's better to have the first ingredient as main muscle meat.

Just take the list along while shopping, and try a can or two of several different ones - it's the only way to find out what they'll like.

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

I've been adding water & making gravy to mix into the new FF cans--Mine love the gravy part of the foods--I have tried other things with them, wellness, friskies, but no go...I'm going to find my post from Purina that I posted few weeks ago, as to what was added or taken out>>

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I just went out and bought sophisticat turkey and giblets, and FF classic chicken. Mocha IS still eating some turkey and giblets, but we have found that she will only eat the food from the cans that end in a number 3- something, 33 34 35 .. won't touch any of the food from the cans numbered 4 something ..

8. Kathy and Kitty

I'm seeing Sophisticat pouches with 0 carb, even one variety with gravy. How is that possible??

9. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

In addition to carb content, I suggest also looking at phosphorus levels. E.g., the regular Evo (not the 95% kind) is very low carb, but relatively high on the phosphorus side.

Quincy is a big fan of Merrick's Cowboy Cookout, and I know a few others have fed that to their kitties too. I think it's ~5% carbs. Sometimes I also buy the turkey flavor of Friskies Special Diet to save $. I mix it with the Cowboy Cookout and boiled chicken breasts and then freeze the resultant mess in ice cube trays.

10. Kathy and Kitty

Just cleaned out store of old FF

I am so excited! Our local Pet Supermarket had lots of the old-label Fancy Feast, so I bought every Tender Beef and Gourmet chicken they had, plus a few Turkey & Giblets. In fact, I bought about a few months worth of food! (Yes, expiration date is fine.)

I don't usually plan that far ahead, but with Kitty doing SOOOO well with his BG, I just don't want to make any changes.

I can breathe again. flip_cat

11. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Hooray for your local grocer having lots in stock for you! I just wanted to chime in...Magnolia is on Wellness (turkey and chicken for LC, Lobster & Shrimp for HC) and she seems to like it. At least now you have about 3 months to come up with a different plan for kitties meals!

I think it might say something about the food if the kitties aren't eating it. What's in it that has them turning away?

I found a document that broke down all the Wellness foods in one of the links in the stickies. I'll pm it to you just in case you haven't found it...I remember it was in an unexpected place.

12. Kathy and Kitty

Sara, THANK YOU. I will have to transition eventually, so I will put this on the list to try.

Ruth and Smokey (GA) posted this on one of the other boards:

But I know that the old label stated the food was made in the US. The new label says the label is printed in the US. If they haven't moved production out of the country yet, could they be planning it?

What Kitty likes...Kitty gets. :mrgreen:

13. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The EVO line doesn't contain rice or other grains. http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp

Where did you see that?

14. Kathy and Kitty

You're right, I misread the chart! (Janet & Binky's new list: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html.) It's Natura/Innova, but not the Evo line. They have two varieties with brown rice. Sorry!!

15. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Kathy,
    Isn't Kitty a 'beef man' like my guys? I tried Friskies Special Diet (It's low carb low phosphorus) beef and liver and they like it a lot. I feed it to them on rotation with fancy feast as a matter of fact. It's 4 carbs on the food chart.
    There are other flavors also that I got them(beef and chicken and turkey and giblets) but this is their favorite.

16. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

if you get evo - make sure it says 95% on the label AND -- go to community and check my post on EVO - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8724

if you get it - check the code on bottom of can and don't take if it matches this.

I'm waiting for the mailer, so I can send them a can and see what they tell me went wrong.

17. Kathy and Kitty

YIKES, Hillary! Carrots and potatoes mixed in??? I'm speechless.

Caryl, I'm glad your boys are enjoying the Friskies. Someone in the Community thread said they were having the same problem with Friskies. Are they planning a label change too, by any chance?

Yes, Kitty likes the beef best. But he'll eat the Gourmet chicken feast, and occasionally the turkey.

18. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 3/11 Kitty AMPS 96, PMPS 83

All good in Kitty Land. Ni ni!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.