3/1 Miles AMPS 394, +2 401, +6 387, +9 407, PMPS 412

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris and Miles, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Hi all,

First time posting a daily thread here. Rather an inauspicious start as I must have given a fur shot this morning.

I've only been giving him insulin for about a week and have had a few errors but (if you've never seen any of my threads) so far this has been a pretty positive experience for us both. Miles loves all the attention he is getting and is an absolute dear when it comes to receiving an injection.

Please do tell me if I've done anything wrong with my title/signature.

2. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Welcome! You're in the right place. I've only been posting for a while but it is a GREAT help. You will get such good advice. Minnie was diagnosed back in April and it's only since Friday that we're finally seeing progress out of red/black (with the breakthrough-yet-eye-straining 4.25u dose) under the expert guidance here. You are so lucky Miles loves the attention more than he hates being poked!

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Chris and Miles likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome to you and Miles! He's beautiful :cat:

Your Title looks purrrfect ;) (couldn't resist lol) and so does your signature - I am curious what LC wet food you are feeding? I tried to read through your previous posts but it wasn't clear to me but it could have been there! I would put the food brand(s) where you have diet.

I see you have a few posts but here's your intro one for continuity - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hello-food-and-insulin-questions.240117/
    The next time you post (tomorrow hopefully :)) copy the URL from todays condo and paste it in tomorrow's. We like to include previous threads for continuity/history.

And, I see you are researching dosing methods - read through them (link here) and ask questions - dosing advice here is really based on which method you all decide to follow.

Also, sorry about the potential FS - did you feel any wet on Miles fur? Or smell lantus (it has a distinct...hospital-like...smell). I would recommend in your SS to write your units for this AM and write FS (e.g., 1.0 FS?) plus keep your remarks. Even if we suspect a furshot, more insulin gets in then we think (and never ever re-shoot...not saying you did, just a gentle reminder :)). There are some good shooting tips here - the post mentions a lift and roll technique which is what I now do with my kitty.

Info overload, right :woot: Everyday something else will make sense - ask questions and hang in there :bighug:

4. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Hello @Liz & Minnie and @JaxBenji - thank you for your posts!

I am trying (sigh) to feed the cats the Wellness Complete Health Chicken. I had a mixup with the pet store and they delivered the wrong food yesterday so I had to do an exchange this morning, and in the meantime had to feed them GlucoSupport m/d Liver which Miles seemed to go off on at first, after I'd bought most of a case, so I have some spare in my closet.

As far as the FS this morning, yes I think I did smell the lantus on Miles - I definitely recognize the smell! Good ideas about the spreadsheet, thanks. If you look in my past history there are a couple of times when I did re-shoot and one time I stayed up overnight as a result.

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Chris and welcome! Miles looks like a total sweetie! Buying a case of any food is an invitation for a cat to NOT want to eat it anymore. :joyful: I did the same when my Ruby was first diagnosed until she decided she didn't like Glucosupport anymore and good thing too because it's too high in carbs for a sugar kitty. The Wellness is a much better choice.

Every day I live in fear of the fur shot. I've done it many times myself, to the point where after every shot now I sniff Ruby's fur to make sure it all got in.

Re: dosing strategies, I started on SLGS because Ruby was still eating some dry food, I was not good at blood glucose testing for a long time and I was scared of low numbers. Once I got the hang of testing and became more accustomed to this forum I went on TR and Ruby's blue and green numbers started showing up shortly after that. Will admit though that it was exhausting at times but I am home a lot these days though so I can keep an eye on her. It's all about your level of comfort. :bighug:

6. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about dosing strategies or should I start another thread? I found trying to test every 2 hours kind of exhausting - right now I am doing three intermediate tests/day instead of trying to do 5. Plus one after the evening shot.

I looked again at the two strategy descriptions and the problem I have is that I don't really want to try feeding my cats multiple times a day. :-/ I could currently because I am working from home, but whenever I do start going in to an office again (even if I hope that won't be 5 days a week) it'll be impossible. So where does that leave me?

JaxBenji likes this.
  7. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

This is the right place! Posting guidelines are one post per day per member - if you have a question, you can edit your title and add it there - you can also pick the ? from the drop-down to the left of your title when you are editing it (once your question is answered, you can take it off :bighug:) - (sorry, more reading: Posting Guidelines and Making the Most of Your Experience - just do your best and people will help along the way!

Neither dosing method requires that a many tests. Do not use my SS as an example as I test a lot :rolleyes: (i.e. beyond what is required). On SLGS the minimum tests I believe are preshots and the "before bed test" is nice too; then a curve every 7 days (reducing the dose by 0.25 immediately if kitty drops below 90 on a human meter). On TR, I believe the required tests are preshots and at least one other test per cycle (reducing by 0.25 if kitty drops below 50 on a human meter). In either dosing method, but more often with TR, you will test more with lower or dropping numbers. if you pick a dosing method and it's not working for you - switch to the other one (and switch back if you like); it's just not advised to "mix" dosing methods as there are not established guidelines for doing so.

As for feeding, from what I understand, the smaller meals on easier on the pancreas. I use an auto feeder - I have the CateMate500 and the PetSafe5 - they are different but do the same job (and each have their own pros/cons). I have two kitties and I keep them separated at night (my diabetic will eat alllll the things).

Perhaps Wendy @Wendy&Neko or @Marje and Gracie can stop by when they can to make sure what I've said is accurate and welcome you too.

8. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Thanks for the input, JaxBenji :) Especially about the use of the ? element.

I have the two cats - oh wait, I haven't introduced Miles' sister Ella, so I will post some proper pics - in a one-bedroom apartment. Separating the two cats is not really possible - the only rooms with doors are the bedroom and the bathroom and I think closing either cat in just one room would lead to endless complaining.

Ok so maybe I will stick with the current feeding routine for now and figure out which test protocol to use regardless. That would at least be progress.

Here are Ella (L) and Miles (R) in 2019.

[​IMG]

9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

They’re so adorable!
    Welcome to LLB. Waving to you from the 6ix:).
    Keep reading and asking questions. You will get lots of help here. One thing....can you slide your US spreadsheet so it is the first one (ie furthest to the left) in the workbook. It should be the one that people see when they click on your SS link.

10. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

What a pair of cuties! Are they jazz fans by any chance?

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to LBL. Lot of information in our yellow starred Sticky Notes if you haven't read them already. There is a LOT of information, pace yourself. :) And keep asking questions, we love to help here.

A question on your spreadsheet, on 2/25 AM, what does did you give? Right now it says 26.1, which I'm pretty sure was the blood sugar then. ;) Since Lantus is a depot insulin, what happened shotwise for several days back can impact what we suggest for dosing. Noting the possible furshot like you did was perfect. In case it helps, here is a post that include some tips on shooting that might help you. Testing and Shooting Tips

12. Chris and Miles

Chris and Miles Member

Oh I don't know how that happened to the dose number. I assume it was 1. On to the next thread...

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Chris. Very pretty kitties. I just started my first Lantus thread here today, too. I just wanted to mention, in your spreadsheet, at the top left in orange, you have "Current Insulin" none. You need to update that to show you are using Lantus. Good luck. I have been on Vetsulin and just switched but I think my 1 unit is too low. I agree with JaxBenji about the automatic cat feeder. I have the CatMate 20. It allows me to store two meals (or treats) and set the timers. It helps me at night when I don't want to get up.