2/23 Blaze update. BG’s going back up.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Blaze, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to post again about Blaze. I thought he was doing better but his BG’s today are going up again. AM +3 was 119, PMBG was 149 and PM +3 is 178. The vet is closed tomorrow so I will call and leave a message for the vet, she had told me that if he wasn’t improving, she recommend trying a medication to help the mild pancreatitis flare up he seemed to be having. Subq fluids and antinausea meds worked for a short time, but I’m concerned with his numbers going up again. Just wanted to post because I’m stressed about him. He’s eating normally and is acting normal, his BG’s just are concerning me :(

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t know what medication she will suggest. With pancreatitis you generally treat the symptoms. It doesn’t sound like he has any.

3. Sarah and Blaze

He did initially have symptoms last week when he went to the vet. She treated him with subq fluids and antinausea meds to start and they did bloodwork, but it took a few days for the bloodwork to come back so that’s all she did the night I took him to the vet. He had lost a couple pounds, wasn’t eating, and was lethargic and his BG’s were in the high 100’s and low 200’s, that’s why I took him in. After subq fluids and antinausea meds, he seemed to start feeling better, started eating like normal again and acting normal. Now his BG’s are going up again so I’m not sure what’s going on. She had mentioned a med that could help with pancreatitis flare ups, because we can’t do steroids due to him being diabetic. She told me his pancreas levels were a little elevated but nothing that would make her want to start any meds at this point.

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Got it. You need the meds to give at home until he’s normal for several days. The nausea shot lasts 24 hours. You need either cerenia pills or ondansetron. I have had luck with ondansetron for nausea. It’s a human RX from your vet and then you get it from the pharmacy. I often picked it up at Costco. Max had chronic pancreatitis for a few years before becoming diabetic and it continued the rest of his life. He was never on steroids. Does Blaze appear to be in pain? If so buprenorphine is often given also at home. I hope this helps.

Sarah and Blaze likes this.
  5. Sarah and Blaze

Yes thank you so much! I don’t know why she didn’t prescribe me anything to take home, it’s like she thought it would resolve after just one shot of cerenia and one round of subq fluids. I wish she would have been more proactive instead of his numbers going back up now and me having to call back and hopefully get what we need over the phone instead of taking him in again. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain or have any symptoms like he did last week. He’s eating normally, acting normally. His blood glucose was the only sign today that something still isn’t right. I just wonder if it’s pancreatitis and we need to do several days of meds like you said or if he’s needing Insulin again.

6. Sarah and Blaze

+5 is 120.
    I'm just not sure what to do. I guess I’ll call the vet and try to speak with her about his numbers and see what she thinks we need to do at this point. I know the 119 and 120 are okay today but I’m concerned about the 143 and 178 we got today. Just unsure of what’s going on.

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you need to request the medicine Elise mentioned and treat at home. Hopefully then Blaze's numbers will come back down. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sarah and Blaze likes this.