18 months of remission now numbers creeping up

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by ElizabethAmo, Mar 4, 2022.

1. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Hi all - 17 yo cat dx DM 9/2020 on insulin (prozinc) only about 3 weeks then remission. Had recent complicated medical concerns now BS creeping up I started checking again b/c polyuria/polydipsia started up again. AM BS 160 and some during day 130-160. I'm thinking get back on insulin quick and try levemir/lantus time to try for second remission any thoughts?

2. La-La Leo

La-La Leo Well-Known Member

I don't know any better as a newbie, but either way sounds like an option. Hopefully there's someone with experience to answer. God bless.

BTW, is there a way to add a question mark to this thread? Maybe it can be edited.

3. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Hmm not sure how to edit thread title

4. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hi, I have been not posting for a while as my cat Momo also went into remission for 15 months, and suddenly I saw the signs.. her BG went up to 358 that day I noticed it. But, I realized right away what might have been causing it. I gave her raw meat - and I believed that was the reason she went into remission. But, I bought this mix - Feline Instincts - and after that, I noticed even her ALT< AST is starting to go up (though still in normal range). Her Blood test showed elevated FPL1 (pancreatitis) and triggered the pancreas which produced the insulin.

I realized that though cats can easily digest fats, but Each cat is different. The Feline mix might have been " too high in fats", so I stopped it right away. I just gave her raw meat now- but balanced with all necessary supplements such as omega oil, taurine (etc...), from catinfo.org

After stopping the mix for 3 weeks, she went back for another blood test - and all test came back normal, especially the FPL1 (pancreas). The only high so far is the BG which is at 246.

Now, it looks like she will go into remission soon- as her BG is always at normal range (I still give her about .25 of insulin), only once a day.

Have you done a blood test? Especially the test FPL1? Maybe something is triggering her pancreas? Mostly diet.

Thanks and hello to everyone here.

La-La Leo likes this.