12/26 My Smokey Girl has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melanie and Smokey, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I can't believe that this is what I have to come back to post. I haven't posted in a while because my dad had hip replacement and I have been busy with that. Smokey had been doing good. Her BGs had went wacky, but we found that a compounded med had been mixed with sugar. Her kidney values had come back high, but the phosphorus recheck was back to normal so that was promising that the recheck on the others next week might be good.

When Jason showed up at Christmas Eve he said she had been running lower BG, but she hadn't been eating much. He headed back home and I stayed on to spend Chistmas day with my dad, the first Christmas since my mom died in July and I didn't want him to be alone when all the other kids were off with inlaws. Jason called that he was taking her to the e-vet, she wasn't eating and she seemed off and she was 60s at shot time. I did some things to help dad and headed home. The e-vet ran blood tests and all of her kidney levels were off their charts, BUN>130, Phos>16, Creat wasn't even readable it was so high. They started a slow IV of fluids even though her heart condition made that risky. We got the call at 4am that they started to hear a rattle so they were stopping fluids and giving lasix.

We went there and she didn't seem ready to give up, she fought to get up and walk around the room. So we decided to take her home and see if she would eat at home (she usually won't at the vet) and maybe bounce back a bit. I also didn't like the attitude of the person there and didn't want her being the one to "put her down" (the first suggestion on the phone). She was wobbly, no strength in her back legs and no energy. She drank but wouldn't eat. We could see that her condition was deteriorating fast and there was nothing we could do. Treating the heart condition caused the kidney condition, we can't treat the kidney condition with the heart condition and we have to treat the kidney condition to make her feel better. We were in a catch 22 we couldn't win.

So one of our vets, not even her usual one but the other one in the office, came with a tech today and set our girl free of this broken body. They don't do in home visits, but they made an exception for Smokey because they know she gets so upset in the office and they all know her and they've been treating her for 15 years. It was such a wonderful thing for them to do for her. I am heartbroken. I could tell she wanted to fight so bad, but her body was done. I know it was time for her body, I even had Jason call and move it up earlier from when he had set it up because I was afraid it would be too late and she get into distress and we'd have to take her in, it just felt like her spirit wasn't ready to accept that her body was done.

Even though we have other kitties, I don't know what we will do without my girl. She went from being the shy middle girl to the sassy boss of the house when we got the younger cats. She became such a momma's girl in her old age. Even now I look to her spot the computer expecting to see her laying there. I just can't believe she's gone.

Give all your babies extra hugs and scritches for me tonight.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

((hugs))) I am so sorry .. Fly Free Sweet Smokey ..

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.. She sounds like she was full of character!

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Melanie))) I'm so sorry your sweet girl has crossed. What a sad day in LL with her and Amy's Mario crossing, too. Hopefully, they will help each other follow the light to all the GAs waiting for them. It is so hard when their little spirits want to fight but their body can't. I think the spirits don't want to leave us because they know how hard we will grieve. You will continue to see her in all her favorite places and that is her gift to you. She will always be with you.

Fly Free sweet Smokey.

[​IMG]

5. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. Her strong spirit will always be with you. Sending love and hugs.

~Josie

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Melanie)))))
    You have given Smokey so much extra time and the two of you fought back her health issues. Sometimes, those brave kitties want to fight for us because they seem to know the void in our lives that their passing will leave. She fought for you and in return, you gave her peace and dignity. There can be no kinder gift.

This is a favorite fable of mine that another member here once shared with me. It tells about why we choose tears.

Fly free Smokey and land softly. There are many who we most dearly love who will be awaiting your arrival at the Bridge. Send your mom a sign that you are there waiting to be reunited with the ones you love best.
    [​IMG]

7. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Melanie, I am so sorry tore ad abut you loss of Smokey. Such a brave girl she was. Allowing these brave fighters to cross does give them dignity and peace. She will never be far away - forever with you in your heart. I hope the many good memories will comfort you. Fly free little one. Always remembered, never forgotten.

Attached Files:

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. It's a sad day in LantusLand.
    Liz

9. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

wings_cat I so sorry Smokey had to leave you today...but she now has her angel wings and is happy and her body is pain free and healthy. You gave her a wonderful life. She will be waiting for you to play with her again.
    Again, I am so sorry

10. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Melanie....I'm so sad to hear about Smokey. She is such a beautiful girl with that fabulous coat of hers. I would often look at her photo on the FDMB kitty calendar. You know she had the best care and loads of love. May the fond memories of your sweet girl provide you with some comfort during this time of sorrow. And know we are all thinking about you.

((((Melanie)))))

Tena, Curry(GA), Sidney & Zeke

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about Smokey. I just know she and Mario are finding their way to peace together today...

12. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Melanie, There's no greater gift of love, that you could give your sweet Smokey. You've taken her pain on to yourself.
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

13. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Melanie)))

My deepest condolences to you on your loss. Smokey was such a fighter, and you were an inspiration for all that you did for her. Her body had to give up the struggle, but I know that her spirit will live on in your many memories of her.

I will give Pinkerton an extra hug tonight in memory of Smokey. Hugs to you as well, in your time of loss.

Linda

14. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((Melanie)))) I'm so so very sorry for your loss. There are no words that will help the pain in your heart, just know you're not alone. Fly free sweet Smokey and land softly. All of our GA's are there to meet her.

15. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Melanie, I am so sorry. You two love each other so dearly. Even tho you can't see her like you did, she will be forever close to you. She was so valiant to fight to stay with you and you are so loving to be able to let her have peace. She will be forever in your heart and you forever in hers.
    may your heart heal with her inside
    mary and oliver

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

(((((Melanie)))))) I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. She looks so much like my Smokey that I grew up with as a girl. Know that she knows how much you love her, and she loves you too. She will be waiting for you at The Bridge where some day, you will find her and you two will rejoice.

Here are some candles to help her find her way.
    [​IMG]
    Oh, beautiful girl, when you have a chance, show your mommy that you are okay.
    Tears.

17. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear of Smokey's passing.

18. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Fly free Smokey!

19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. Fly Free Smokey.....

[​IMG]

20. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. Having this place where I know there are people who know this pain means so much.

21. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

oh melanie, i'm so sorry. you know we get it. you gave smokey a lot of extra time with your tender care of her. she'll be missed.

she might not be with you in body, but she'll stay in your heart.

[​IMG]

22. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathy to you Melanie, on the loss of dear Smokey...You did the very best you could, and now she is Flying Free--Many tears, deeply sorry for your loss!

23. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

:cry:

MJ

Attached Files:

24. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

((Melanie)) my heart breaks for you, I am so sorry! Sending hugs & healing vines for your heart. Smokey is in a better place free from pain. So sorry for all that you have gone through this year. Hope the new year brings you peace & love!

25. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Melanie))) I am so sorry and sad to hear that Smokey crossed the Bridge. She sure did fight so hard until it was time to leave. My heart and prayers go out to you. I will light my GA kitty's candle to help light the way. (((Hugs)))

26. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

(((Melanie))) I am so sorry to hear about Smokey. Deepest sympathy.

27. macal

macal Member

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Smokey. Wishing you comfort.

28. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Melanie))) I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot express the love you must have shared for each other. Fly free, brave girl!

29. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Smokey. Big hugs for you Melanie. Fly free little one and land softly.

30. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry, Melanie. There are no words that can make this any easier for you.

Fly free, Smokey girl. wings_cat

31. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Smokey. I know how much you will miss her, but she will always be in your heart. Sending prayers of peace and comfort to you and your family.

Fly free Smokey Girl! wings_cat

32. Lisa & Leo

Lisa & Leo Well-Known Member

(((Melanie))) I am so sorry to hear of sweet Smokey, and I am sending hugs and prayers for all of you.

33. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Melanie))))),
    Your beautiful, brave girl was such a fighter. She loved you so much and would not give up until she knew you were home to help her journey to the Bridge, where many, many of her friends are now welcoming her. Fly free, sweet Smokey, your mamabean will hold you safe in that special place in her heart until you meet again.

In deepest sympathy,

Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

34. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

So sorry you had to let her go. Very sweet of the vet & tech to come to your home. I'm glad she was in a safe place when she crossed. Rest in peace, Smokey.

35. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Oh Melanie,

I am so, so sorry that you lost Smokey girl. Sending comforting prayers for you.

Terri

36. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Melanie, I am so sad to hear about your sweet Smokey! I will hold my Shasta a little tighter tonight in memory of Smokey. Blessings to you, your family, your father, and sweet Smokey's soul.

37. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}

38. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Please accept my condolences. {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

39. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Melanie, I am sooooooo sorry to hear about Smokey. (((HUGS))) She's knows she was loved and that you did your absolute best to try and make her well. Your little girl will always be alive in your heart and in your memories.

Suze

40. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

We all grieve with you in your loss. Our sugar babies take an extra helping of our hearts. She is dwelling there permanently.

Fly Free, Sweet Smokey!

[​IMG]

41. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Melanie, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Smokey.

42. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Mealine))) I am so very sorry for your loss, hugs and prayers for peace & comfort always. May memories help you get through Smokey's loss. Fly free Smokey wings_cat

43. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

hugs for a great momma bean.

44. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

So VERY sorry for you loss Melanie. May all the good memories of Smokey bring you peace. :YMHUG:

45. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

((((Melanie))))

Our sugar babies sure do occupy a large part of our heart, and they take it with them when they cross the bridge. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Smokie wings_cat .

46. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((Melainie)))))))))))))) I am so sorry for your loss

Fly Free Smokey rb_icon wings_cat

47. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Melanie,

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful Smokey. I hope all the wonderful memories of her will comfort you soon and help you deal with missing her.

Hugs,
    Melanie & Racci

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.