12/24 Missy AMPS 216, +6- 38, +6.5- 52, +7- 62, +10- 225

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DanaB, Dec 24, 2020.

1. DanaB

DanaB Member

Missy was fine the whole time and Ive given her some nibbles of HC food a few time times in the last half hour.

My question is a few days ago (i think the 20th) i left her insulin pen out from 8am- 10am by accident. I was didnt think it would affect it but i wasnt sure. Things seemed ok that day but then her numbers started to average out a little higher. So today i thought i would try a new vial .... and she went below 40. We did have a guest for 5 minutes to drop something off and she hid, but normally i would think that would raise her numbers.
    I bought the insulin in October, it expires in 2023, its in the back side of the fridge, its the pen style, house temp is 20.5.

In your opinion is this just a fluke???.... or do you think the other insulin pen has lost its potency??

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think it’s a fluke. I left pens and vials out by mistake more than once and they were fine.

3. DanaB

DanaB Member

Thats what i figured. Do you think the stress of a visitor drove her numbers down???
    Also technically because she dropped below 40 im suppose to reduce her dose.... but i was thinking of holding for a few more days considering she hasnt been in normal range for a few of days.
    Before today I was actually considering bumping her up 0.10-0.15 since her numbers were starting to climb. (last time she was bumped to 1.25 she dropped below 50 three times in 3.5 days)

4. tiffmaxee

As a long term diabetic you reduce after 3 times in the 40’s on three different cycles or once under 40. I would take the reduction. Fot some cats stress causes them to drop. Max responded by going high.

DanaB likes this.
  5. DanaB

DanaB Member

She is already up to 225 at +10 :( I dont know what is happening.
    Maybe the drop was stress. :banghead:

6. DanaB

DanaB Member

Now that i think about it her blood sugar was often normal at the vet even though she had sugar in her urine and high fructosamine.:bookworm:

7. tiffmaxee

Most likely she’s bouncing from the 38. It’s to be expected.

DanaB likes this.