? 11/24 Eddie AMPS 347 +2.5 328 +7 112 +11 261 PMPS 288 +2 85 +3 104 (BG Dive)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Good morning,

What a relief last night to be able to sleep. The world is a different place.

Here's yesterday's story:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/11-23-eddie-amps-430-2-412-5-185-pmps-247-2-254.255828/

My question for the day: since Eddie earned a dose reduction 11/21, are the rollercoaster numbers a result of recalibration of depot reserves? He hasn't been in the red zone for a long while and today is the 3rd cycle of 8u.

Just trying to see if I'm reading the data with any degree of accuracy.

Thank you.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Exactly. He’s bouncing from hitting the 40’s. It can take up to 6 cycles to clear. The red today might be the high before he adjusts or he might continue to wobble.

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.
  3. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Thank you, Elise! It's a relief to think I might be getting the picture, as it were. i'll keep an eye on him, as usual.

Thanks, again.

4. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

So, at +7 we are 112 and so I'm seeking advice towards PMPS and beyond. because it's likely, is it not, that by PMPS, he will be lower than 112?

Maybe, though, going lower will be handled by his having his regular +8 or +9 snack?

@Wendy&Neko @Bandit's Mom (in anticipation)

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Post the pmps when you get it, maybe get an+11 as well.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tonight is the sixth cycle after the last green. Been his pattern of late. If you get that +11 or 11.5, it'll give us some time to see if there will be drama at PMPS.

7. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, will get a +11. So hoping for no drama! Thank you.

8. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Yes, will do, thank you!

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Wendy said what I was thinking ha 6 cycles. Maybe some shenanigans tonight. If you're up for it I'd let him earn another reduction, then possibly consider BCS after if he doesn't bounce.

But look! He's almost at half the dose he was a few months ago!

10. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, thank you! Here's my question if shenanigans: how do I let him earn another reduction. What is it I should or should not do?

And YES, almost half the dose! And even with this reduction, he keeps showing up in blues and green more often than ever before.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry, bad phrasing! I just meant don't be tempted to do a BCS now, wait until he earns a reduction because I think he's close again. Never intentionally let him dip below the reduction point, always try to keep him surfing above it. When he's ready, he'll go below it anyway.

12. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Oh, ok, read you loud and clear.
    Just about to do a +11. It might be higher as he had a snack two hours ago.

13. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Just did +11 261. Has he gone into yellow because of snack @ +9? He's holding his cards pretty close to his vest.

At PMPS I'm assuming we will be around the same range? I'll go with 8u. Shenanigans maybe tomorrow?

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

PMPS and +2 will tell :cool:

He always gets that snack, correct? I wouldn't think too much about it

15. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Yes, he always gets the snack at the same time every day. And for the record, you're right: shenanigans are always at the +2 or +3 mark at night.
    Will be posting again.

16. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Well, PMPS 288. Where do we go from here. Giving 8u. Wonder if things will look like 11/22.

Will get the +2 and/or +3. Wish us luck (or something like that).

FrostD likes this.
  17. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Well, here we go: PMPS 288, +2 85.

Now what? @Bandit's Mom @FrostD @Wendy&Neko

Guess I should give small snack. LC or MC?

The other night @FrostD provided direction: 79 and above, try not to feed, maybe some small LC snacks: however, special consideration: diving BGs. Big dives may need MC, possibly HC depending on numbers and how big the dive is.

This dive would at least indicate a MC, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Reason for edit: additional information
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  18. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Quite a drop. I would go to HC and test in half an hour.

19. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, will do.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  20. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

You are so right on about SHENANIGANS.

21. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Buy that cat a parachute! Holy cow!

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  22. Bandit's Mom

Hi @Wendy&Neko , wanted your advice on whether to "let" Eddie earn reductions or whether to keep him at a dose with some higher carb intervention? Normally we would do the latter, but with SRT in the mix, I thought to ask you. For example, feeding LC at +2 tonight might not keep him above the reduction point of 78. In such cases, feed LC and let him earn the reduction or feed higher carbs and prevent one? As long as higher carbs are not being used to prop him up...

23. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, gave him a little HC and a touch of MC

24. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I have to head to bed here, 2am already, ouch.

A thought here, see what Wendy says - I think he's going to make the decision for you anyway, but with that drop and down to 85 this early...if he doesn't go below reduction point, I think I'd reduce anyway to stay ahead of him (usual note to lurkers, strictly for Eddie since he is post SRT). I'd consider a BCS of maybe 4-6U in the morning. Help drain depot a bit, he may stay higher for a little while but it'll give you a bit of a break. Then resume PM at 7.5U.

Edit for more explanation: this "feels" like more than a bounce break (huge dive after a climb to PS, almost to reduction point by +2)...something else happening which is why I'm suggesting be a little more proactive.

25. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

That sounds like a plan. I’ll be up for the ride - with @Bandit's Mom as my guide into my night shift. Hoping to hear what @Wendy&Neko has to say reSRT protocol. thank you so much!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  26. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I did do a sneaky edit on you - 4-6U BCS. I know Wendy and I have said 2/3 dose BCS seemed to work well for us, but since you also have been needing a break I initially said 4U. Also added a little more explanation at the bottom

27. Bandit's Mom

Curious why you suggest a BCS since he doesn't look like his depot is full. Of course, I have no experience with acro/high dose kitties so will defer to those who do! He is definitely heading down the dosing ladder. A BCS might slow that down?

28. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'll check in when the baby wakes up...in 2 hrs :blackeye:

29. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

80% of why I say it is to give her a break for a few cycles lol! Well, hopefully...

The other is in my edit - such a big dive after a climb to PS is a bit odd, and reads like he's trying to run away here soon. I know we raised the reduction point to help address that - but consider if she had chosen a +3. I know we try to avoid the what-if game, but Id surmise he may have been 50s/60s. Which, for my preference with my own cat, calls for BCS.

Yes, the BCS would slow down the dosing descent for a little bit - but he'll get back in action regardless I think once depot stabilizes and tumor continues to die off/fail to reproduce.

Now Wendy may say to heck with that, hold the dose! :joyful:

30. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

OK, I just want to make sure I'm clear on this BCS in the morning.

If it's a go, I'll probably err on the side of caution and do 6u. But as @Bandit's Mom says, he's earned a reduction but maybe not a BCS.

I'm about to do the +3, so I'll be right back.

31. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

@Bandit's Mom I guess the best way to say it is - not suggesting a BCS because the depot is too full. Trying to stay ahead of the depot getting too full, because overfull depot + tumor fizzling is bad combo.

32. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes please see what Wendy says. I can only say what I would do for my own cat

33. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

34. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

I'm getting lost in the threads!! Anyway, after a very small HC and modest LC, he's @+3 104, so out of the skydiving mode?

In any case, the point will be: after this, has he earned reduction to 7.5 tomorrow (given the SRT situation) and holding back on the BCS???

Also, given the 104 @ +3, he seems to be stabilizing. I can test again: should it be +4 or +5 or later?

@Bandit's Mom @FrostD @Wendy&Neko

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  35. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah more of a bump than I expected, so perhaps I'll eat my words after all lol if he stays up well for you then forget the BCS idea.

I'll let Bhooma take it from here (if she's busy elsewhere, test again in 30 to see if he's still afloat).

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  36. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

But surely this skydive and bump must be SRT - related. I'll still test in 30. Thank you for being here. If the BCS is off the table, what about a reduction since the +3 is carb-driven.

37. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Another cross post ha!

If he kind of surfs here (high green/low blue) I'd hold the dose, but expect him to come back at you for a reduction soon (perhaps after another bounce). If he drops into 80s again, I'd consider a reduction. Below your reduction point, I'd consider a BCS as well as the earned reduction.

I'll peek in during my morning time and see how the cycle went.

You're hitting the tricky part of he's your cat, it's your gut feeling. We have the reduction point for consistency as well as safety, but there's the added aspect of "something's happening here I'm not sure what" and how you want to handle that.

Even if you choose to reduce and/or BCS, if it doesn't work you can always take him right back up.

38. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Ok, I’m going to test and see if he drops. I feel he’s on the edge of a reduction. Those cycles seem to be telling the story.
    Thank you!!

FrostD likes this.
  39. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Take the reduction. Don't keep him at a dose any longer than needed. It's always easier to go back up than fight a full depot post SRT. And 90% of the time, the reductions hold. As Melissa said, trust your gut Jodey. I got so I could tell when Neko was telling me she needed less insulin. Plus, sleep is not over-rated!

I'd base BCS or not on how he does the rest of tonight. If bouncing to the moon by AMPS, no need to BCS.

It'd help us guide you if you note in the Remarks when you fed HC/MC and how much of each. For now, you can stick with LC. Unless he wobbles back down again.

40. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

All is well. @+4 133. Still blue but blue enough for me to go to sleep. AMPS will tell the tale and I'm feeling that the reduction to 7.5 will inaugurate the next cycle. I put in the SS remarks what it was I gave @ +2.

Thank you, again, @Wendy&Neko , @Bandit's Mom and @FrostD . I am so grateful that you are helping Eddie and me.

FrostD and Bandit's Mom like this.