10/26 LT AMPS 285, +2 185, +6 75 PMPS 163

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne Burton, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Sad to be back here:(. Last night LT had a PMPS of 220 and a +5 of 376. We gave him 0.5 this a.m. to start with since I didn't have time to check him and get him started on insulin by 7:15 a.m. We are trying to get him on a 7/7 schedule. I'll be testing with my pet meter for now since I can't find the strips for my Prime meter. Also, the Lantus I have is older since I wasn't expecting this. My vet may have some Lantus, but we are 16 miles away and in the middle of a major snow storm. @Chris & China (GA), is the 0.5U a good dose to start with or should I start back at 1U?

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear LT is back on insulin. I hope it will just be a short time. If your insulin is not past the expiration date, and has been kept in the refrigerator, you should be able to use it without any problems.

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Megan and Bernie

Megan and Bernie Member

Sorry your kitty is back on the juice. He’s beautiful!

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hey Susanne... darn it ... sorry to read this!!

As long as the Lantus has been stored in the fridge It should be ok...

Im on my cell now but I’m leaning to starting nice and easy...

Not sure what a 7/7 schedule is...

5. Suzanne Burton

7 a.m and 7 p.m. feeding and injection; and now with daylight savings time coming up, it's going to be adjusting the time back 15 minutes a day.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Once that storm is over you may want to buy new strips - they tend to expire ... not sure how long yours would have lasted...

I have the same problem with my back up meters... the strips are expiring left and right... wasted money :arghh:

7. Suzanne Burton

+2 is 185 so insulin must still be good

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  8. Suzanne Burton

Down to a 75 at +6. Should I give LC or wait and check in an hour before leaving for 3:00 vet appointment?

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Still a safe number but might want to give him a small snack....If he's like most cats, the loading into the carrier, drive to the vet, being poked and prodded, etc., it'll probably raise him up from the stress too (unless he's one of those "unique" cat's that react by stress as going lower).

10. Suzanne Burton

Thanks Chris. I'll check him again before we leave, which will +7. I'm a bit rusty at all of this. Do you think the 0.5U is a good dose to begin with? I'm charging ahead with the TR protocol again, but not feeling very brave.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Need to have his teeth checked, a urine culture & sensitivity (if he feels there's any chance of a UTI make sure to do the C&S so you can be sure the anti-biotic you end up using is effective towards the kind of bug causing the infection). If there's bacteria in the urine, a sterile sample should be taken from his bladder first to do the C&S but then you can get started on a broad spectrum antibiotic to start helping until you find out for sure which AB will work best.

Also any infection/inflammation/pain can cause the numbers to go up. If not teeth or UTI you may need to do some investigating to see if there's anything else going on that might have contributed to the loss of remission.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, for now....hope you can grab some new strips while you're out in the snow though. Most of us are going to look at your spreadsheet before giving advice so we really need to know that the test results are accurate and not off due to the age of the strips

13. Suzanne Burton

What other causes are there for loss of remission? I'll make sure she check for a UTI. I'm thinking there's a big chance it's his teeth. We figured out this summer that he's 16 years old, so I'm concerned about anesthesia. He is still quite healthy and energetic, but I'm sure the vet will do labs today to check the kidneys.

14. Suzanne Burton

15. Chris & China (GA)

Teeth, UTI's, pancreatitis, arthritis (basically anything that can cause pain)

16. Suzanne Burton

I'm using my Pet meter for now. My Prime strips aren't very old; I bought them this last July so I think they are ok. I don't know how to change the spreadsheet though to reflect my using the Prime though. @Chris & China (GA)

17. Chris & China (GA)

When you go back to the Prime, let me know. I'll see what I can do to change the formatting

18. Suzanne Burton

The vet said his back teeth, which are pretty much all he has left are bad and need to be removed. She said she wasn't sure that it was enough to cause BG issues. Anyways, he is scheduled to have them all removed on November 9th (first on the schedule). Because of COVID, it's the earliest they could get him in. They drew a chem panel and fructosamine - all completely and amazingly normal for a 16 year old cat. She didn't think he has a UTI. She thinks the BG rise may be transient.

Sue and Luci likes this.