10/25 Ruby AMPS 410 +flying kitty, +3 359, PMPS 271, + 2 215

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katherine&Ruby, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great photo!

Just a suggestion regarding your dosing. It looks like you've been shifting Ruby's dose around. With SLGS, you want to do what you can to keep the dose as consistent as possible. It's one thing if the pre-shot is low. Otherwise, if you make dose adjustments that are close together, you can end up with wonky numbers. It helps to try to stick with the dosing method you're using.

3. Katherine&Ruby

Thank you! I recognize this. I am keeping the 1.75 dose for a week and then seeing where to go next. Going up to 2 units a few weeks ago threw everything off, it was too much too soon for Ruby and then I got scared about keeping her at 1.75 until I understood that would be the logical course. Live and learn!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It can be helpful to put notes in the "comments" section of your spreadsheet if you're making an adjustment on dose that isn't exactly the protocol. You're doing great with info on food. We'll bug you less if there's info as to how you're making decisions (unless, of course, we disagree!!!)

5. Katherine&Ruby

That’s a good idea. The reduction from 2 to 1.75 was due to her hypo episode, and then she went below 200 so there were a few token shots, after which I was scared to go directly back up to 1.75. Unless she goes hypo or the pre shot is below 200, I don’t plan to deviate from her current dose.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

When you refer to a "hypo" episode, do you mean that Olive was experiencing symptoms of hypoglycemia or that her numbers were below 200? When we refer to "hypo" it really means a symptomatic hypoglycemic episode. If you read through the TR Protocol, dose reductions aren't earned unless numbers drop below 50 (or 68 on an AT meter). You have a good amount of room to be concerned about hypoglycemia. Even with very low numbers, many cats are not symptomatic.

Ideally, as you get more comfortable with Olive spending more time in closer to normal numbers, you'll be able shoot progressively lower numbers.

7. Katherine&Ruby

By hypo I was referring to Ruby dropping to 62 a few days ago. It’s on the spreadsheet. She was not symptomatic at all but I had to spring into action none the less. I am using an Alpha Trak and SLGS.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I generally refer to that as low numbers. You absolutely did everything right. The headache is that a very large number of people will refer to numbers that are below the "take action" threshold as a hypo. We try to reserve that term if symptoms are present to it does communicate what you're seeing or your cat is experiencing.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How adorable! I hope Ruby slides down today.

10. Katherine&Ruby

I will be more careful with words, though it’s confusing. I know any number below 65 on the AT is “take action”, but couldn’t Ruby also be hypoglycemic without symptoms?

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Technically, that may be correct. However, cats can experience symptoms and be above 68 (it's 68 on an AT not 65) and that would be a symptomatic hypoglycemic event. We tend to look at the number that's on the meter as a fixed point. It's really not. There's a certain amount of error that's due to the meter, strip, etc. There's a 20% variability in any test number. I would get some very low numbers with Gabby and she was never symptomatic. The value of testing is that we are able to catch the lows and intervene.

12. Katherine&Ruby

Could not be home this afternoon to monitor after +3. I start getting nervous when Ruby heads down into the yellows before her shot.

13. Katherine&Ruby

A little too late now but following SLGS should I have reduced Ruby's PM shot since her BG came in at 271?

14. Katherine&Ruby

Ruby's +2 is at 215. Pajama party?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

271 is a fine number to shoot, but it does look like she might be breaking a bounce. Can you get another test in a couple hours?

16. Katherine&Ruby

Yes, @Wendy&Neko I can set my alarm to wake me in two hours, or should I do it at +6 when I know it will be going even lower?

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A +5 or +6 would work too.

18. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Another thing to remember with low numbers v hypo, particularly numbers just around our take action cut offs, is that non-diabetic cats will be that low sometimes, all by themselves. It’s having the injected insulin onboard that means we need to take action to make sure that they don’t drop any lower and bring them back into the safety net zone.
    Cute pic, I so badly want to smoosh my face into that belly and cover it with kisses :cat: