10/24 Spencer AMPS 308, +6 167, +12 197 Skipping PM shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrickAndFrack, Oct 24, 2020.

1. FrickAndFrack

FrickAndFrack Member

Hey! We are new to the forum (first post!). Since Spencer's diagnosis last weekend, we have been absorbing as much knowledge on feline diabetes as possible.

We are giving him 1.00U Basaglar right now and his numbers went down really well. Only on day 4.

Biggest drop so far today, probably because we switched him to Fancy Feast from his dry food. We haven't done a PM shot yet, because the +12 under 200 makes us a bit nervous. We only have one test strip left until we can head to Walgreens tomorrow. :banghead:

Here is our spreadsheet so far, only sporadic testing as we are getting used to it all and adjusting our lives to accomodate this new situation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TQQ0DHouIstuGG1EPLBxHuJ7qZjNEQ5nmlsSJwsjDPE/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for being such a caring and knowledgable community. We are so glad to have found this place! :cat:

Megan and Bernie likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to you and sweet Spencer.

I'm having problem reading the spreadsheet. It looks like it doesn't have permissions set up yet to allow those with the link to view. Given you have only one test strip left, a skipped dose is probably a good move. Spencer will get back on track soon enough.

What type of meter are you using? You might want to make sure you always have a backup container of strips. Maybe put together a hypo kit with various kinds of high carb food and tuck an extra container of strips in there.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. You need to give us permission to see your spreadsheet. I see Wendy on so I will let her help.

4. FrickAndFrack

FrickAndFrack Member

Hi Wendy&Neko,
    Thanks for the reply. I fixed the permission on the spreadsheet. We are using a TrueMetrix from Walgreens. I ordered 100 strips online, but because we are still learning we had a few botched testing attempts (not enough blood...wasted strips). We will buy another expensive 25pack of strips from Walgreens tomorrow just to be able to test our AMPS and throughout the day. And got some cornsyrup, but will look into the hypo kit as well tomorrow.

It's been a whirlwind of a week getting up to speed with everything, but we are getting there.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. FrickAndFrack

FrickAndFrack Member

Oh also, I forgot to put into the intro that Spencer is 16 years old and only weighs 8.6lbs right now.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some of this information, including the link to the spreadsheet (which I can now see :)), can go in your signature. This post has more details
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

7. FrickAndFrack

FrickAndFrack Member

I will do that tomorrow as well. Thanks for the link, I was wondering how to make a signature.

Does not shooting tonight seem like the most reasonable decision?

8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, I am not sure if you have shot or not? We usually ask new folks to post here and ask if the pre-shot is less than 200.
    Have you fed Spencer? If not, can you take another test and see where he is at?

If you shoot, will you be able to monitor him tonight?

9. FrickAndFrack

FrickAndFrack Member

I decided not to shoot tonight and fed him. He was really hungry. I only have 1 test strip until I can get more tomorrow so this is the best call I think. We'll see what his AMPS is going to be.

Thannk you for your help!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Safety always comes first!

I'd also suggest getting in the habit of always getting a before bed test during the PM cycle. Many cats drop into lower numbers at night so having some data will let you know if numbers are dropping and you need to monitor. Just as importantly, if you don't test at night, you're missing half of your data.

FrickAndFrack and Bandit's Mom like this.