10/24 Max- still OTJ and he’s one lucky cat! He survived an attack by two coyotes on 10/17.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rebecca & Max (GA), Oct 24, 2020.

1. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Just wanted to post an update on Max. For those of you who have followed Max and me, you may remember that Max adopted us 14 years ago when he was about 2 yrs old. It took me about a year to get him to come inside and another year to get him to stay inside. Before I get beaten up for allowing him outside, please know I have always tried my to keep him in and always at night. When he was first DXd he loved being an indoor cat. Once he made his run for remission tho, he wanted back out to sleep in his favorite spot. Last Saturday morning he ate at 3:50 AM and wanted out. I reluctantly let him go, but since we live on a quiet cul-de-sac, the threat of animal attacks has been very low for the last 20 years. Sadly, I now know that’s no longer the case. I went back to bed but heard some snuffling sounds so went right back outside. I saw two coyotes look at me and take off and Max run up into our pine tree. I immediately heard liquid dropping from the tree and feared it was blood. Turned out he was peeing. I pulled the footage from our door security camera and while it was very hard to watch, I saw Max cornered in our doorway right after I’d let him out, fighting off two coyotes. One managed to grab him but didn’t have good hold - I believe Max being so fluffy was the reason. He was dropped when his fur was pulled out and that’s exactly when I came back out. I knew he could go into shock or have internal injuries, so hubby and I spent 3 hours getting him out of the tree (he kept going farther back on the branch). Once down, I gave him a quick once over (no puncture marks, no blood) and then took him to the ER vet where he stayed for 2 days. The only issue they found was with the #4 & #5 sternebrae of his sternum (5 moved up over 4 some), but surgery was not recommended. There was some bruising under his skin on his head abs side? but no punctures and no internal bleeding. It’s been a week now and he’s been eating, drinking and now pooping. We are letting him sleep where he wants (he chose my elderly dad’s closet), and offering food where he’s settled. He finally came out into our kitchen last night but is still scared. Of course he went straight to the front door and looked out the screen, to which I replied, ‘no way, dude!’
    We will see how Max adjusts to being an indoor cat now....
    I checked our two security cameras for the month of Sept and there were NO signs of coyotes until the 17th. I am now proud of Max’s tenacity (the same one that made ear sticks hell on me) and will continue to hope he can stay in remission even with the trauma he’s gone through. If you all can still keep him in your thoughts and prayers we’d appreciate it. According to blood work his BGLs sleeve normal the entire time, but he’s showing the start of kidney disease, like our other cat. Onto the next journey.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Rebecca, my heart was dropping as I read this. I’m so glad he is okay. How about seeing if you can get him used to a halter so you could take him out using a leash or perhaps a catio? My sister helped a neighbor rescue an outdoor cat and the ones who took her in got her used to being indoors with outdoor walks. Granted this one was just a year but she is happy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness Rebecca :bighug: So relieved to hear Max is on the mend from his run in with the coyotes - must have been so traumatizing! You and your hubby are such good beans getting him seen by a doctor and getting some good care :bighug: I hope he adjusts to indoor cat life - my two kitties have always been indoor cats but I'll play cat tv (just youtube some if you haven't already) - they both get enamored by it. Sending prayers you all can manage the kidney disease and that Max continues to heal :bighug:

4. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Definitely worth a try. Our other cat was a feral kitten rescue and my attempts at keeping her in resulted in me almost decapitation her with the sliding glass door. She is also 16 and but always stayed in at night. For the last few years, she has been content to use our back patio to sleep in the sun or on a patio chair when she wants out (closer to the birds too, lol, but luckily she no longer hunts them), then she comes back inside. She took to the dog door out to the backyard faster than the dogs (dogs were too dumb to push it, so we keep it taped up so it's open). I have bought Max out there a few times, but he'd just jump over the side gate and settle where he used to sleep when he was a fully outdoor cat or go back to our front yard. IF I let him back outside, it may be only supervised as I did when he had the Libre, but no longer once it starts to get dark. We used to take our dogs out front or for short walks around the cul-de-sac, but I won't anymore with the one remaining dog.

5. Rebecca & Max (GA)

He is now officially the most expensive 'free' animal we have ever had - but worth every penny.

JaxBenji likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

So was Max and before that Tiffany. I could have bought two very expensive cars. Like you I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

7. Rebecca & Max (GA)

We have a dog still having issues with his spine/disk, and hubby just had hernia surgery Monday (the day Max came home) which will bring hospital bills too - ugh. So far, my boys are very expensive to keep. Luckily, all three are pretty darn cute. :p

And I have three daughters (14 yr old twins and a 22 yr old), so I know expensive. ;)

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

What a frightening story! I'm glad that Max held his own and survived. What a brave kitty :cat: ! We are sending tons of vines for him to heal well. Max-the-Brave, you did well, but be sure to hold on to the rest of your 9 Lives.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How scary! I'm so glad Max is okay. I hope your DH recovers quickly from his surgery. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I am so, so relieved that Max survived that ordeal and I can only imagine how frightening it was for you, too. :bighug: Sending lots of vines to Max as he continues to recover, and some to your DH as well. :bighug::bighug::bighug: