10/12 Coral AMBG 35 PMBG 56 3 Weeks OTJ

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by MaineLove, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

@Wendy&Neko @julie & punkin (ga) @Sienne and Gabby @Chris & China
    It seemed very strange not to be testing and posting on an everyday basis. The urge was resisted to sneak in a BG reading during the week. I took it as a blessing that all was going well. Coral is spunky, eating well, taking her walks, snoring as usual and playing. So this morning what a delight to get a reading of 35!

Chris, the transition to Nature's Variety is really going well. Her fur is growing back from the shaved belly from the ultrasound and her neck and hair at the side of her face is growing in nice and soft from the lump surgery. She sure is a trooper!

Best to all, Kathe and Coral

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I totally understand how you feel about not poking!! After over 2 1/2 years of poking China an average of 8 times/day, I really don't know what I'd do if she suddenly went OTJ!

I'm really thrilled she's doing so well on the Natures Variety and that it looks like it's going to not only keep her from needing the Z/D, but is doing the same things switching to canned/raw did for China....soft, thick fur like a bunny!!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You are certainly welcome to open a condo here or on the Lantus/Lev board and provide an update at any time! We love hearing about how well our OTJ kitties are doing.

MaineLove likes this.
  4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

So nice to hear she's still in normal range - woot! I second Sienne's comment - I think it's really encouraging for new members to see that kitties can go off of insulin and become diet-controlled. Of course it's not every cat, but there are some!

You've also got a nice poster kitty for the power of the switch to canned low carb food! :D Most people don't seem to believe that it can make that big of a difference, but as you saw, it can.

5. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

@julie & punkin (ga)

Here is a worksheet I made showing her numbers from 8/17 to 10/5. What do you think about me putting it our signature?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTSnFOF4NEGU0JnLXJqblhhRWc/view?pli=1

Separating the caregiver responsibilities and personal time to keep oneself healthy is a real balancing act. It can be a let down because your time is not needed to the extent that it was when they were really ill or it can be liberating, and rewarding that the effort involved produced a positive outcome or at the least a healthier regulated diabetic feline. I'm glad I trusted the results and didn't sneak that test, of course, I need to be aware of any sign the diabetes may be returning. She really surprised me with that 35! She's a cool cucumber, but for a moment I did think, yikes, hypo, but of course, no insulin, no hypo!

Thanks, Sienne for explaining the appropriate posting spot. I haven't gleaned enough knowledge to give advice but I feel I can encourage and support. Since having gone through some of the emotions that we see I feel comfortable in that role. The emotional support I received kept me going so I want to pass it on.

Thanks to the Fab Four that encouraged me to trial Coral OTJ!

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the regular spreadsheet is much easier to read. I had to enlarge the one you've got several times in order to get it big enough to see. But it's up to you. Since cats can and do come out of remission, even if you keep some data on the other one, I'd keep the FDMB one that's in your sig line up to date. If you need help, then it will be ready.

But for now, just enjoy all the free time!

7. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Thanks for the input on the sheet. It did seem to load funny! I made this one for the vet because the results were so dramatic. I am very grateful for the free time, I was able to trim the lavender plants today, tomorrow trimming the rosemary. Enjoy your evening. Kathe

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Kathe - good to hear from you and to get a Coral update. I am so glad the raw is working out for her. I've seem a number of itchy furs (canine and feline) benefit from a switch to raw food. Sometimes a bit extreme like the one dog that finally found relief with raw ostrich :rolleyes:, but it does seem to work.

And yes, we do like to see posts and update from OTJ kitties too. And their beans. :)

9. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Hi Wendy - Actually, Coral is on a Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Diet Formula, Turkey canned wet food. We have a limited choice on the coast but fortunately the feed store here will order food from Nature's Variety. Trying to get the civie, Joy off the z/d wet (34% Carbs). I'm going to try Wellness Grain Free Chicken since she doesn't like the Turkey that Coral is eating. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday!

Thanks for stopping by, wishing all good numbers and healthy kitties! Kathe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.